What Increment For Horizontal Dropouts Positions?

zoster

Hey, there!

considering you have some kind of horizontal dropouts that have a series of stable hub positions,

how much distance do you thing there should be between two consecutive positions?

( I'm thinking of a new type of dropout's, ehich dont require a tensioner, which i'm going to mention in a thread soon )

Thanks for taking a look!

Also bear in mind that 2mm difference in the cs length can make the difference between needing a tensioner or not. At 385mm cs I need a double wheel tensioner at 18:15, at 183mm cs you don't need a tensioner at all.

I agree that a screw adjuster is the best solution; to date, dengs 2011 onwards integrated tensioners seem the best design IMHO.

I would guess that snail cams only move the axle by 0.75-1mm per notch. Continual adjustment by bolts is always better in my opinion.

Actually the least coarse ones are about 0.3mm. The previous Echo TR ones were ~0.1mm.

Something with a thread is definitely best.

As soon as your chain stretches, the position your wheel sits in will move too - there's no 'one' position for a gear ratio as it'll start off at that one point but after the first ride you'll usually need to move it.

Echo's TR cams with the Micro notches are the best option in terms of cams me thinks. Certainly in terms of minute adjustment and no slippage.

But integrated tensioners such as the ones found on 2011 Echo frames + Onza's are best.