Why No Y (Women And Mtb)

Miss-Higgy

if you consider all women, then cut that demographic down to the mid teens to mid 20 somethings, as this is the usual trials age group i know you get younger boys, but girls will probably have to start a bit later cause of their development compared to males, then cut out all the girly girls... the fat girls, and girls with an existing full time hobby and you're left with a pretty small number, and bear in mind of this small number of 'cool/dangerous/extreme sport orientated girl' demographic is likely to be influenced by their immediate peers for a way into such a sport, you need to hope that the small number of this type of girl will meet enough (or one very) decent (in the sense of riding AND personality) trials riders in order to make a girl rider.

trials is so small that even though it practically is a sausage fest it doesn't really have the man-party stigma that alot of extreme sports do.

i hope i havent infringed on what someone else said but thats my view on the matter of why theres no girls riding... plus i'm off my ass on pain killers and typing on a phone keyboard so sorry if my grammar is off or something, it's to much faf to edit

Edited by ogre

That was the point of posting this, to get other people's views on the subject.

But one thing i have noticed since riding trials, males tend to want to watch what your doing, and women are either interested but the comment is normally "very good, but you wouldn't catch me doing that" but in the younger category of teen to 25's other women sort of look at me riding trials with the look of why is she doing that?

I think it may stem from being kids. A lot of lasses are encouraged when it comes to stereotypical girl stuff so when they get older they stick to what they know. I have a daughter and I can't explain why but, i wouldn't want her to ride trials as its dangerous but if I had a son it wouldn't bother me so much. I don't think anybody I ride with would be bothered about riding with a girl, in fact most of us have been beaten by Donna Fox at Tyke trials.

i don't see why you'd be happy for a theoretical son to risk injury over your daughter, we're not any less likely to snap bones etc than girls... i'm trying to teavh my girlfriend some riding stuff, she likes the idea of it all but she's not interested in putting the hours in.

i don't see why you'd be happy for a theoretical son to risk injury over your daughter, we're not any less likely to snap bones etc than girls... i'm trying to teavh my girlfriend some riding stuff, she likes the idea of it all but she's not interested in putting the hours in.

Did I say I'd be happy or that it wouldn't bother me as much? The point I was making was that its generally considered normal for boys to go out and get covered in mud and get cuts and bruises, not that I would want to see them fall off a cliff.

Ogre get her out on an xc bike learning track stands and stuff, i wasn't interested in learning trials but i was very unsafe on a bike. So my other half felt he had to teach me to track stand and a few small moves, and i just got into it from there, it has a great fitness regime, cut's bruises and scars are reduced by the correct safety gear.

So yeah it's upto the guys to encourage us, and not just want to go out with the guys to stop us nagging.

P.s When riding trials i get to distracted to nag about thing's so who knows it may be a relationship helper guy's :P

Did I say I'd be happy or that it wouldn't bother me as much? The point I was making was that its generally considered normal for boys to go out and get covered in mud and get cuts and bruises, not that I would want to see them fall off a cliff.

it's generally considered normal to ride bikes with a seat too =p i don't see why you'd be adversed to your daughter taking up any sport, regardless of risk, i only know 2 riders that have broken a bone through trials, and i'm one of them, i bet footie is more dangerous and you'd let her do that at a guess, not to undermine you as a parent, just saying y'know, i didn't mean happy in the sense of yay your child is broken btw either...

I've been on this forum 5-6 years now, and there's always been one and only one active female poster. Once another female comes along, the previous one disappears. Before you there was Hannah, before her there was that one girl that Simon got into, and the before her there was Char and then my memory gets a little hazy and I've probably missed a couple.

Who was that pikey bitch a long long long time ago? the essex girl? think she turned up modelling for men and motors a few years ago?

I'm in Whistler right now and there are loads of girls riding. IT'S AWESOME!

Each week they do ladies coaching sessions on Monday and Wednesday, I'm staying with one of the guides who helps with these sessions and last week they had 78 girls show up! On Tuesday's they do a male coaching session and they only had 30 men take part (although to be fair last week was the first male coaching session ever).

Whistler is f**king amazing, I think I'm in heaven!

• Like 1

I'd say there is quite a lot to do with general development and motor skills/coordination of girls. They tend not to be pushed towards sports or even hobbies when young and so don't develop the skills which boys do by jumping around, playing sports and stuff. Whereas mountainbiking generally doesn't require any of that, trials does and takes longer to learn the basics than the majority of other hobbies, bar maybe skateboarding (but then how many girl skateboarders are there?). I'd say combine that with the fact that there are virtually no female riders already and it's less attractive to anyone who might want to try. With the intrinsic start up costs as well it's far easier to do something else. Like My Little Pony or giggle while painting nails.

I couldn't think of anything worse than a gf that rode trials. I want to go out with someone who is cool.

So true.

Slightly different, but there was a conversation early in my new relationship about her being intrigued by trials. Quickly put an end to that intrigue because riding is something I want to keep as my hobby - f**k having to babysit someone through the little time I have for riding instead of trying to improve!

if there was a dislike button i'd be clicking the hell out of it right about now.. :P

If you had a g/f who rode trials you would probably end up riding more often?

Me and Jim ride about twice a week if not more, I personally love the fact that i can take part in a hobby that we can both enjoy rather than him just going out with the lads 5 days a week.

I appreciate your point's but i really don't see any sense behind the sentiment.

if there was a dislike button i'd be clicking the hell out of it right about now.. :P

If you had a g/f who rode trials you would probably end up riding more often?

Me and Jim ride about twice a week if not more, I personally love the fact that i can take part in a hobby that we can both enjoy rather than him just going out with the lads 5 days a week.

I appreciate your point's but i really don't see any sense behind the sentiment.

Thats fair enough, different strokes and all that.