This Look Broken?

CalRobbo341

So I have had this rear wheel for about 3 years now buckled to sh*t, I have had to adjust the bearings alot in the past month as they are knackerd, just have to tighten it up so they stay in and grease it all just so I can roll around! Yesterday I decided to take the whole thing apart and I only found 3 ball bearings in the cog side of the hub and after taking it all apart I find the rest of them, I'm guessing there is 18 ball bearing in total? And I just want to know, does this look kind of well, broken? I'm guessing thats where all of the bearings were hidden? So is it time to just give up on that rear wheel, before it somehow explodes?

Some pictures, sorry for quality, hard to get a good picture...

post-30770-0-85491700-1337334892_thumb.j

post-30770-0-04169900-1337334936_thumb.j

post-30770-0-77781100-1337334969_thumb.j

post-30770-0-74264200-1337334992_thumb.j

The word you're looking for is 'f**ked' :D.

For whatever the reason the bearings have found their way out so that the axle hasn't been supported centrally in the hub. That distorted, elongated hole should be circular but the axle has been able to move around and eat into the hub. SO yeah, basically it's dead as a very dead thing.

I though it was :D Really quite a rough rider imo... And inclding the time period it has a right to be mangled :') Have a Echo TR wheel, it wont fit in my frame as the frame is 110mm and the hub is 116mm so yeah new frame is needed!

Have a Echo TR wheel, it wont fit in my frame as the frame is 110mm and the hub is 116mm so yeah new frame is needed!

Or you could just get 3mm taken off of the spacer on each side of the hub, http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/workshop/tartybikes_rear_hub_modification_116mm_to_110mm/c34p11718.html Tarty offer the mod when you buy it new, but i'm sure anyone could do it with a lathe. I would go to say you could do it yourself with a hacksaw and a file and some careful measuring, but looking at the state of your old hub i'm thinking someone with the engineering skills is better suited :P

Damn you Dave beating me to it!

Edited by craigjames

If it's a pre-built TR wheel then theoretically it'd be the 116mm spaced one including snail cams? If it is, you can just take the snail cams off and it'll be 110mm spaced. You may need to run the cams on the outside of your frame if the axle overhangs the outside edge of your dropouts, but that's not the end of the world.

Yes, just had a little look at it then there wound back, enough for it to slide back, will do it tomorrow too, I think I will do it! Still want a new frame though :') And I just took another quick loot in the shed then, I use to have to kind of tap my old wheel out like the dropouts were cramped not that way -->, but ^ that way, May just have a cheeky little file down to make it fit upto the tensioners, as the frame is pretty much on its last weeks!

EDIT - was writing that while going back and froth, what dan said basically yeah ahah, cheers for all the help guys means alot!

Edited by Callumm

Been filing the dropouts a while now, the file is fine, nothing wrong with it, to be honest just giving up, I don't want to file down to much that it will maker the dropouts too weak and I don't want to cramp the axle in that could result in it not working / fitting in another frame, just getting a new frame instead, call me a spoilt or someone that gives up easily, I don't really care :dots: