The Car Thread

MadManMike

It is a 318IS, M44 1.9 16V.

The deal was sealed when I jacked it up and spun the rear wheels, it has got a small case LSD which is a super rare factory option.

I will break even on the Clio eventually, I am £'s up from the sale of the car and will break even on the manifold.

I don't know much technical stuff so don't go guns blazing if I'm wrong, but isn't having an LSD going to be harder to 'go sideways' like you intended to by having this car?

Steve

Jardo, a car doesn't need to be MOT'd to transfer the plate off it, it just has to have been taxed in the last 12 months, and be available for a VIC check if they call you up. Just test it a week before the current MOT runs out and if it fails, then transfer the plate.

No, it doesn't. :)

Shamelessly copied from the website I learnt stuff from -

A locked differential spins both wheels at the same time period. The problem is when taking a corner the inside wheel travels a shorter distance then the outside wheel, thus it has to spin at a different speed.. slower. If both wheels are trying to turn at the same time then you cant take the corner very well. One wheel wheel keep trying to hop to make up the difference.. Sometimes full drag racers have this setup because its a very good way to put power down.. but a horrible way to turn.

And you have what most passanger cars have an open differential That sends power to one wheel at a time, via gears. This way whatever wheel needs to move faster to corner it recieves the power and can move faster. the other wheel just spins freely like a none drive wheel.. Now this changes depending on corner, its constantly adjusting.. Just the way the gears are setup in the differential. Porblem is if one wheel suddenly has no traction and begins to spin. All the power will go to it.. because its the easiest path. So if you hit ice, or spin your tires, or do a burn out. One wheel will brake traction and will spin, the other will sit there. or be draged in the case of drifting.

Enter the Limited Slip differential. Literally a differential thats allows a limited amount of slip.. By using several different techniques the LSD gives you the best of bothworlds with really no doubt side. You have enough play to corner.. but if one wheel begins to spin then equal mounts of power is sent to both wheels. either causing them to grip, or both to spin.. either way you will come out of the corner faster.. or you will drift smoother..

-

Robin, you DO have to. Look at a V62 form, you need to supply a current MOT for the vehicle. Hence why you can't just buy a wreck with an old number plate and transfer it...You'd have to put it on the road first.

Edited by Pashley26

No, it doesn't. :)

Shamelessly copied from the website I learnt stuff from -

-

Robin, you DO have to. Look at a V62 form, you need to supply a current MOT for the vehicle. Hence why you can't just buy a wreck with an old number plate and transfer it...You'd have to put it on the road first.

Unless the law has changed in the last few months you can transfer a plate from any car or put it on retention even if it doesn't have an MOT.

I'll put my pretentious fanny hat on, Mr "works in the motor trade and has done over 40 plate transfers this year" will have to step in now because I have said it so many times. Do not question me on this, it is an integral part of my job.

http://www.direct.go...ates/dg_4022575

You DO need a current and valid MOT to transfer a number plate, and the vehicle has to have been taxed within the last 12 months who no break between the tax ending and the SORN being registered. Unless the vehicle is declared an insurance write off and a letter of intended purchase and allowance for the removal of the mark is sent to DVLA. In any case you would still need an MOT.

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_069390.pdf

Notice how a current and valid MOT must be included with EVERY application on a V317. EVEN if you want to retain the number plate with a retention certificate you STILL need to supply an MOT as part of section 2's criteria to apply for section 4.

Edited by Pashley26

Well herp-de-f**king-derp, calm down nancy...

How many times have I said you need an MOT for a number plate change within the last two pages though? I have been having this argument ALL day with my girlfriend, Prawn and countless other people on here.

Does my head in, I say something and people just spout their opinion before checking if I am actually right.

Far too many times, fact is nobody gives a flying f**k, they just want to see the pictures of the shiney red M3 and the silly Audi with the orange roll cage without 42 posts of you being a pedantic old queen about a f**king form in between the pretty pictures. I don't call every detail out on the web design/computery forums I go on, yet I do it for 8 hours a day at work and often in the evenings as well. If people want to be wrong, let them be wrong. Life is just nicer when everyone just shuts the f**k up every once in a while.

It could just be me that just wants to see the pretty M3 and the mental A3 though, I could be wrong.

Edited by Muel
  • Like 2

I say something and people just spout their opinion before checking if I am actually right.

Could it be because you spout shite so much maybe? In this instance I believe you are correct and there's no way round it- mate at work had to get a classic morris MOT'd before he could transfer the plate off it.

Edit: I still want to see Bill's car!

It could just be me that just wants to see the pretty M3 and the mental A3 though, I could be wrong.

Nope.

In 'mildly annoying issue' news. My BM often makes an annoying buzzing/rattling sound for a few minutes after starting up. It sounds like it's coming from just behind the bottom of the centre console, and sounds similar to a rattling fan.

3 things then:

1. Is there a fan located around there?

2. If there is, why would it shut up after a few minutes?

3. If not, any ideas what it could be?

I can live with it, but if it's possible to do a quick fix I definitely would. It's a 540i for anyone that didn't catch it ages ago.

JD, it is the sound of the sensor for the climate control. It is a common problem with BMW's and has been for a fair while.

-

Muel/monkey, wind your neck in? Obviously people do care because they quoted and posted about it.

I love the inability to post on this forum without people getting all personal about people, it cracks me up. We've all got 5 years older since we joined, but our online mental persona has well and truly stayed in 2007. Chill the f**k out, how have you not guessed that I don't care what you say yet lol

Edited by Pashley26

It used to be that you could get a fair amount of leniency from a local office, but now all they do is approve the paperwork and enter it onto the DVLA system and then forward it to Swansea. It just speeds things up.

They bought in the need for a valid MOT in 2004 I think. I don't know how it will effect the "MOT exempt" pre 1960 vehicles though, seeing as they are no longer in the field of requirement.

Edited by Pashley26

Don't worry, the feeling's mutual.

In which case, stop being a cnut about everything I say and if you have got nothing nice to say then don't say anything.

Same goes for Muel, life is too short for your constant digs and piss takes. I guarantee you that if you weren't behind a keyboard you'd be nice as pie, so why not treat me with the same respect that I treat you guys. If I have ever had a pop at you then feel free to have a go back, but I don't think it's ever happened.

:)

Does my head in, I say something and people just spout their opinion before checking if I am actually right.

No idea if that has anything to do with my post, but I did check before posting, I ended up on the exact government site you linked to, on which it does not say anywhere that the car needs an MOT, so I blame the governments usual inability to communicate it's stupid pile of overcomplicated bureaucracy that is the world of traffic/vehicle law, and it does indeed sound like you're right. I know where you're coming from though, I'm seriously bored of posting (on other forums) explaining the laws about towing on post '97 licences only for people to still think they're right.

I still see nothing stopping you just testing it early so you can find out if it's going to pass, while still having a valid MOT to transfer it if it's not going to, but then if you're only keeping it a few months it's a lot of hassle, buuuttt, you only keep every car a few months, so it's the only way you'll get any use of it I guess?

(PS, please for the love of god quit the 'I work in the trade so I must be right' tag line you've picked up recently, it's a massive pet hate of mine. I know you are right in this instance, but in my experience of other people who do it, all it achieves is to suggest that your so regularly questioned that you feel the need to back up your statements with an attempt at validating your opinion.)

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

I was in my first collision today on my 13th hour of driving experience! I was approaching a round about gradually slowing to see whether I could continue or had to stop, about 8ft from the stop marker, bam get shunted up the arse... get out the car to see its a work colleague! he had been shunted into me by some bloke who was clearly not concentrating and caused this pile up. We all move over to exchange details and the offending twat drove off! Luckily my instructor got the reg and will shortly be ringing the police to report the offender leaving the scene of an accident.

Shook me up abit and what a coinkydink the 13th hour or driving.. superstitious!

Got a private plate of my amazing caring parents for my 21st. Just got the confirmation certificate, new mot and tax disc today and got some plates up tonight. ( £35 for a set with 3d font from Halfords quite expensive i thought it was the only option i had due to them being open til 8 and i work days so i find it hard to get to other local places.

But yeah my name is Andy.. I was hoping to get a plate like this with all 4's but turns out they was sold out but i am mega happy it is 6's as it still resembles my name slightly.

Best present ever will look sick on me next car which will hopefully be a audi or bmw :)

334234_10151316125259572_749796332_o.jpg

Shit, that sounds like a b*****d, really not what you want for your confidence when you're learning! What's the betting that when the police find the registered keeper, their car 'happened to have been stolen/lent to a friend' at the time?

(Aimed at LucasMcNeal)

Edited by RobinJI

Shit, that sounds like a b*****d, really not what you want for your confidence when you're learning! What's the betting that when the police find the registered keeper, their car 'happened to have been stolen/lent to a friend' at the time?

(Aimed at LucasMcNeal)

Yeah :( He looked like a shady indian man too (not being racist!) he also had a shitty 1999 astra aswell and may be a chance he was uninsured, will find out soon!

lol Robin, it wasn't exactly aimed at you buddy ;) Just literally it is all I have been saying all day, I've honestly had the same conversation 30 times today.

I was polite, I explained, I explained again, and then I apologized and said I was putting my pretentious wanker hat on. And I wore it with pride whilst I proved that I was right lol. So you can't knock me for that.

Towing laws REALLY annoys me...As does the direct.gov site, it's all bollocks.

I am going to put the plate on retention for 12 months and see what happens, if the BMW passes it's MOT it gets sold in January/when I find the right car. And if it fails it gets scrapped/stripped/given to you. Or who knows what will happen, but my precious plate will be safe and secure waiting for me.

-

Lukas, sucks man. Don't let it knock you though.

Google AskMID, reg number in, tick the box to say you own the car and it is a personal check. It'll tell you if it is on the motor insurance database.

Edited by Pashley26

Obviously people do care because they quoted and posted about it.

I can honestly say I don't give a flying f*ck, I skim through this thread looking for pictures daily, and occasionally skim your posts to see what you're talking out of your arse about today. I either don't care what you've said, or pull you up on something you've said that is utter bullshit :P

Talk less :)

So Lou paid £300 odd for the plate with transfer fee's and shit. You then pay to have the plate on rentition, and then have to pay AGAIN to get it put on your next car. All of which while you sell the clio at a loss to buy a "stop gap" car until September, when its "big money month", so presumeably you'll get a big bonus, so you can buy something nice.

Am I the only one thinking, why not just keep the clio until September, then sell it to buy something nicer if needs be? Surely a decent 172 is going to be worth more to sell than a grandad spec 318 is a god awful colour?

Not to mention the fact that now the nice plate your girlfriend spent a lot of money on, is effectively useless, hiding in a cupboard.

I really don't get you sometimes!