The Car Thread

MadManMike

Mate, I'm only ever trying to help you.

Lou spent a fortune on that number plate for you, and it's a SERIOUSLY nice present. If someone bought me a personalised plate, I'd never consider buying a car that it can't be transfered to, as it just shows no respect for the person who spent hundreds of pounds buying you the J44RDO plate for the car you said you had always wanted and were going to keep long term....

I'm sorry buddy, but I'm only looking out for you, you have lots of ideas, some good, some silly, and some downright retarded.

I see no benefit to selling a really nice mint top spec Clio 172 for a grandad spec 318i, especially when you're letting the Clio go far too cheap just to get into this BM.

• Like 4

Have to agree I'm afraid. If you'd swapped for a 328 or something that could be considered an upgrade, then fair enough. But this just seems like a huge backwards step, just so you can attempt to go sideways (but not hold it because of the asthmatic engine).

Out of interest, how come you can't transfer the plate? Apart from it being worth more than the car :P

you have lots of ideas, some good, some silly, and some downright retarded.

Can we see a breakdown of this, maybe in the form of a pie chart?

I see no benefit to selling a really nice mint top spec Clio 172 for a grandad spec 318i, especially when you're letting the Clio go far too cheap just to get into this BM.

Couldn't agree more. I hadn't considered the number plate aspect of the change but going to the grandad BMW alone is a stupid move if you ask me.

Insurance, parking space etc.

I CAN put the reg number on the BMW, but I have to pay an additional charge. And if it fails it's MOT in December I can't take it off and will lose the plate.

I plan on selling the car in January, because I have September coming up which is a big comission month, this is just a stop gap car until then.

In your eyes yes, in my eyes it is fun.

Since I have been doing this wheeling and dealing I have had a right spring in my step, I have sold four cars in the last two days. All because I have been happy, excited and chilled out. It effects me hugely, all this buying cars crap.

:D

But would that Beemer be awesome if someone else bought it? I doubt it!

That's the point people are making - it's annoying how your car is the best car EVER, every time you get a new car, until you change it in a few weeks, then THAT is the best car ever :mellow: It's just getting a bit dull now :P

• Like 1

I can have £400's worth of fun in that BM between now and December. If it fails MOT I scrap it, if it passes I sell it in January. :)

Absolutely!

But it's not the best car ever, and you won't keep it standard :giggle:

(I am aware that you probably will now, just cos of that comment, which was the point of making it :P )

I haven't been so full of adrenaline for months. Had my first drive in the M3. The geometry is a mess, steering is heavy for some reason but it goes like the clappers and the sensation of driving it is just unbelievable. Clocked a 0-60 in under 5s from a rolling start from 1000rpm. The gear changes I can only compare to a dog box.

The car is dirty, it's missing a few things, final look still to come.

dsc00264pm.jpg

dsc00263ka.jpg

dsc00267bj.jpg

dsc00268nd.jpg

Here's the audio from a 0-60 run + some other stuff later before the phone just flew away - sorry about no video but really, there was no way I could have held the phone, let alone aimed it at anything.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4YSRxzNBm0

The geometry is a mess, steering is heavy for some reason

They could be related. Did you say the power steering was removed?

If you have a lot of positive caster, that will make the steering heavy, even at speed. A smidge of toe out should help, too :)

Car looks quality, of course! What sort of weight and power do you reckon? ~1100kg and ~300bhp?

They could be related. Did you say the power steering was removed?

If you have a lot of positive caster, that will make the steering heavy, even at speed. A smidge of toe out should help, too :)

Car looks quality, of course! What sort of weight and power do you reckon? ~1100kg and ~300bhp?

Yeah, I'm aware of that but this is a heavy feel as if the power steering wasn't doing it's job. You can feel it wrestle against the tyres. Geometry definitely isn't helping either. There is a lot of caster in this car but that would cause the wheel to bounce back to the middle, this isn't happening.

Weight wise I have no idea, probably around 1250 and roughly 310bhp.

Don't ruin that sexy paintwork by using a sponge to wash it_ and get some decent wax on there :D

Haha :D Someone recommended cquartz to me so I got a bottle, was somewhat frustrated to spend 50 quid on 30ml of the stuff but I plan to cover the car in it and just forget about the coat until it's so shoddy it will need a repaint.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but this is a heavy feel as if the power steering wasn't doing it's job. You can feel it wrestle against the tyres. Geometry definitely isn't helping either. There is a lot of caster in this car but that would cause the wheel to bounce back to the middle, this isn't happening.

Weight wise I have no idea, probably around 1250 and roughly 310bhp.

Hmm. Yeah something odd there then. I'm sure you can get to the bottom of it :)

Ah yes, I forgot about the diff!

I plan on selling the car in January, because I have September coming up which is a big comission month, this is just a stop gap car until then.

I get enjoyment from driving the cheapest possible cars that I can.

That makes no sense...

Why do you lose the plate if it fails the MOT?