The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ouch, poor prawn :( fingers crossed he finds another a3 with a dead heart to swap his things into

My money is on him using the 1.8t Golf he has got on the driveway. EVERYTHING will swap straight across and with a slight modification to the cage that will too.

My money is on him using the 1.8t Golf he has got on the driveway. EVERYTHING will swap straight across and with a slight modification to the cage that will too.

Surely the cage isn't in very good shape after that...

Surely the cage isn't in very good shape after that...

The damage is to the chassis legs I presume. Either way if the cage and sell were the consumable items in the crash then it isn't so bad.

The shell is worthless, and the cage is only £600. So for a 130+mph crash he has got off very lightly. The car is worth £1000's in parts, even without the crash if he was selling he would get for more in parts than he would as a whole car.

I kind of hope he doesn't re-shell it into a Golf, just because A3's are a lot nicer looking than mk4's, and not to mention lighter. At a guess I'd expect them to be more aerodynamic too.

I wonder how much more it'd end up to stick it all into a TT? There's a lot to be said for a low slung coupe body, and the brief experience I've had in a TT 1.8t Quattro was rather fun, it was a lot more balanced on the limit than I was expecting. A quick google says that the TT Quattro's a touch lighter than an S3 and nearly 3" lower. If the purchase price isn't silly then it might be worth thinking about. The parts that would be replaced would probably end up selling for more than the equivalent parts from a Golf/A3/Leon too.

Edited by RobinJI

TT's have a lot of the same parts as his car has now though, and Prawn wouldn't fit in one lol.

The only thing he could use on a TT would be his brakes and hybrid.

Parts like the steering rack and wishbones which are now no doubt buggered? I don't see how already having the better parts is anything other than a bonus, they'll replace any bent bits from the accident, and they'll be easier to sell if he does end up with spares, I'd rather have spare upgraded parts than spare standard ones. Not to mention it would save a load of work transferring parts.

He'd pretty much only have to sort a cage, transfer his turbo set-up, strip it and fit his seats/steering wheel/harnesses, leaving him with a pile of TT parts that would sell quickly for good money. Hell, if he swapped his whole engine in then the BAM lumps sell for a fair bit more than the 150bhp engines. With a golf he'd have to pretty much re-shell the whole car, and replace a bunch of bits that got bent in the accident, leaving him with a pile of standard Golf parts that'd be cheap and slow to shift on. Plus he'd have a car with worse aerodynamics, a higher centre of gravity, and more basic suspension.

PS, Prawn would fit fine in one, especially with his seats mounted low in there.

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah, but none of his parts would fit and S4, plus a 1.8t is an odd and rather small choice of engine for an S4! It's got 2 cylinders and 1 turbo less than the standard motor! The engine mounts the wrong way around for all of nicks parts and his block, he'd need a gearbox, he couldn't use his LSD, and he'd need to basically buy another A4 for all the other little bits and pieces! :P He'd basically just be building a completely different car!

Does look like a nice shell though.

Edited by RobinJI

Might as well just cut the bull and get an lcr. They are the superior car, and most off his decent bits were off one anyway!

Plus they are cheap as chips now

Only trouble's the shell, the A3's lighter, lower and simpler, so he'd be ending up with a technically worse car. The same with the Golf, Personally I think it'd make sense to make the most of things and take it as a chance to upgrade, meaning I'd be ruling out a Golf, which is less aerodynamic, heavier and taller, and a Leon, which is heavier and taller, but I'm not sure about the aero. Bolt on parts are exactly that, bolt on. In his position I'd either be looking to go for another A3 or a TT Quattro.

Perhaps let the man speak first instead of finding him a new car already :P

Glad he's ok, that pic looks horrible. At first I thought it was just some "funny" pic found on the net. Could have ended very badly, the car is just a thing and thankfully it did a good job keeping him safe. Did he have a HANS device on him?

Pretty sure he doesn't have a HANS device. All the talk of what to replace it with spiraled from the facebook comments on that photo. Like you say, it could have ended VERY badly when those sorts of speeds are involved, lucky the car stayed rubber side down and didn't hit anything too hard.

What does it matter if he's taking home £Xk a month?! The unplanned cost of £3k plus the actual cost of getting a new car sorted will be a pain in any pay packet. That money will be earmarked for elsewhere, regardless of whether it's available or not...

That's without me going into how pissed off I'd be if a 'friend' started posting up anything about what I was earning on a public forum.

That was obviously a HUGE joke lol f**k me would I love to earn 7k a month though, that shit would be epic.

What saddens me most is how few people will appreciate the sacrefices and losses he has made in his life to fund this project. He has been living in a caravan away from his lovely lady and doing split shifts for the last couple of months, I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is his awesome track car. Which is no more :(

Sounds super gay but if it is true then it is the end of an era for an entire group of friends, a load of us all grew up in and around this car. And went on to build and buy our own. Such a shame and a waste of an epic car that has been on an epic journey. Couldn't have gone in a better way though, on the ring where it belonged. So sad :(

Track cars get crashed. It's just what happens, spend long enough on or near the limit and you're going to overstep it sooner or later.

Like you say, there are many memories connected to that car, because he's had it a while and done many miles in it, but it's still just a car, and it was pretty much inevitable that it was going to be retired through the use of armco sooner or later. I'm glad Nick and his passenger (Pierre?) are fine, which is the main thing, a new car will bring new memories, and I'm sure Nick was well aware that he'd pretty much sealed this cars fate the instant he decided to use it as a dedicated track car.

• Like 1