The Car Thread

MadManMike

When I did mine, I shot blasted them in the uni shot blaster and that took AGES!

Etch primer, filler primer, primer, paint and laquer cost me £40 as well but that did all 4 wheels. They are 10" wheels mind.

Ahh fair play mate just seemed strange to me she sounds like a right laugh!

Cheers for the comments made up with it at the moment and it does shift for its size and I've come from some quick cars. Sure likes a good drink!

Booked into Unit 20 on Friday for full service / health check then can have a chat about a remap shortly.

Yeah mate, she sure loves her cars!

Ah, glad mate - its a lovely motor! Surprised to see it on here actually, never expected to see it again after the listing ended... You'll be buying a petrol tanker next!

That's an epic car. I'd love to own one at some stage in my life.

It was one of the most incredible cars I've ever had the pleasure to be in! So luxurious, but still went like shit off a shovel. She ended up selling though due to the fuel bill! It's a 20 mile straight road between here and her work - it quite often had the throttle pinned! Second hand prices are pretty reasonable too for what you're getting!

Found a little extra on the car today solar sunroof, don't now how I missed it apparently powers the fans to let cool air in the car while it's sunny / hot, clever Germans . Also took it on a road I used to take the impreza down which consists of a couple of straights and two quick roundabouts inbetween , il just say its quicker than the scooby handles brilliant for an estate :)

There's 5 (!) people working on my car now, should be ready this week. It's even starting to look like a car now. Anyway.

Engine oil, not sure if it's good since it's only just been released but I was told it should be worth trying:

img5038ej.jpg

img5040cc.jpg

img5042o.jpg

Scorpion dedicated exhaust:

img5043x.jpg

Twin calipers tucked away nicely

img5046s.jpg

img5049b.jpg

img5044h.jpg

Took the injectors out of my car, they're in a dish in my room now. Which means I can't tell which is which, which in hindsight is dumb. I can tell which is either 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, though.

Anyway, they don't look f**ked. I'm tempted to get them off for flow testing, but I'm also tempted to buy a while new set, depending on the price.

Pretty pleased with my diesel motorway chugging focus, Ive consistently been getting 53+mpg for the last 700 miles of mixed motorway, A road and commuting; makes such a difference driving it steady and keeping the revs below 2.2k!

On a down side at least one of the rear wheel bearings is on its way out, shouldnt be too much hassle to change but Im a lazy sod when it comes to working on cars :D

• Like 1

I get that sort of mpg sat at 75/80 in my Passat wagon, ;) I do have to put up with 80bhp for the pleasure though. (~53mpg that is). Being back on Somerset rural roads has taken it toll though, I'm averaging just under 50 now thanks to the hilly/twisty roads around here, and more town driving that I was doing in Oxford. :(

I'm currently thinking about making the Passat a 'company' car for my business once it's off the ground and getting the Scirocco back on the road for personal use, not sure what engine to replace the buggered diesel that's in it now with though. 1.8 petrol would be the easiest for bolting straight in and not needing the log book changing, but another diesel is tempting for economy's sake. I'm wondering if I could get half decent economy from a digifant 1.8 golf GTI lump with increased compression though, while still being fun. I love diesels for daily driving, but my god do they leave you feeling empty and disappointed when you boot it.

Greetings, out of interest, is there anymore polly-bushes going in that back end or are the control arms staying on rubber?

Any private plate owners on here? Just about to buy one for mine n found you have to inform your insurers to update your policy/certificate. I'm with admiral so any help from others with experience from this would help. As in do they charge etc?

All the companies got boned about two years ago when it was found out that they were overcharging for admin fees. So basically they're not allowed to charge more than about 30 quid. Pretty sure that's correct.

Cars got a fuelling problem again, got a few things to check but it's looking like it'll be injector seals again which is close to a £500 job :( if that is the case, the cars getting broken for parts as its worth something like that, can't be spending anymore on this sodding thing! 4k in under 3 years is pretty awful... I do like the car but it's more head over heart these days...

So I will need something to replace her if that's the case. Can't really see me getting much more than 1k of parts out of the Saab unless im super lucky, so that's all I have to play with. I would ideally want an estate as I use my car to take me and my girlfriend to and fro uni, deisel preferable for the long term but petrol will suffice for now I guess if the budget doesnt get me much. I'm thinking audi a4 or BMW 3 series again just because they were solid cars and parts are plentiful. Are there any engines I should avoid? I know the Audi diesels are solid, but that's about it.... I have been looking on auto trader but there's naff all about locally for my money :(

Edit: German only, that's my only rule. No more gm for me that's for sure!

Edited by Paul Oliver