The Car Thread

MadManMike

Really like that Audi Prawn, it looks the business. It shows that the concept has evolved over time which I think is a big point in favour of any sports car.

Cheers Alex, did you see the short in car video? I think you'd have loved something like that.

it's still work in development at the moment, as I'm constantly trying to up my game. Power is plentiful at the moment, and next up is increasing the adjustability of the front end to gain a more aggressive geometry setup. Once that's complete I'll look into tweaking the rear geo to reduce a bit of toe in, and then I think I'll have reached a point where it's just time to drive it as much as possible!

It'll never be an M3 I know, but I rather enjoy the challenge of taking something compromised and making it as good as it can possibly be.

The two cars ahead of me on the sprint were an Ariel Atom, and a 300bhp stripped mk2 golf R32 who beat me by 0.22s. If it wern't for his 4wd, and my constant wheelspin, I'm confident I could ahve beaten him easily.

i wanted more runs, but the FMX boys ruined my chances at the top spot!

Sheeeet, just been reading up on the accident, i'm surprised there is just a water weight plastic barrier there?!

Bet the snap-off boss was a cheap D1 ebay jobbie too. :(

Looking at the car I very much doubt it was a cheap boss Si, it was a really nicely built garage sponsored Race car from one of the vag trophies I believe.

Sadly, it wasn't the owner driving, he had apparently allowed a mate to drive the car for a run, so I'd imagine he failled to refit the wheel correctly after getting in.

lots of the splined bosses used on race cars (rather than the ball bearing ones you see) will press over the spline, then need the latch pulling to positively locate the locking mech. it was probably just pressed over the keyed spline and not locked down, so it'd be near impossible to relocate in a panic half way down the strip :(

Out of interest, would you benefit from / have you considered converting it to 4wd? I can imagine such power in an FWD car can be a bit of a handful?

Watched the video just now, missed it last time. Quite a tricky course, wouldn't have been my cup of tea. However it seems you have the car under full control, nice work with the wheel.

That's a can of worms opened Alex...

If it was proper permanent 4WD then it would be an arguable advantage if small and compromised, the shit Haldex system that comes on S3's and Quattro A3's is the devils work and would IMO make even Prawns car a sack of turd.

My car is in running condition. I could go out and use it but it's not what you'd call ready :P

Here's the absolutely epic but maybe strangely looking gear lever. The travel is just right and on Millers nano oil the changes are incredibly smooth and have exactly the right amount of feedback. It also leaves a lot of room to position the hydraulic hand brake which should be welded on tomorrow.

dsc00043ll.jpg

dsc00044wj.jpg

dsc00046gkl.jpg

dsc00048wu.jpg

dsc00047ac.jpg

dsc00045co.jpg

Hey guys looking for some super vague advise, I'm planning on getting into track racing once I've got a full time job sorted. I have go-karting experience but nothing on the track. I'm looking for something cheap to start to see if its what I want to get into before I tip a bucket load of money into it. I like the sound of MX5's and Alpha 145 cloverleaf's and looks like you can pick them up pretty damn cheap and I won't be looking to do many upgrades straight away. Any advise? Do you have to do licences straight away? Is a roll cage a requirment? etc.

Edited by Simpson

Forteh I was just about to ask you if you were still up for having a drive in it now it's been remapped but i'm not driving down now doh. Off in my mates van. :( gayyyyy

edit - at radfest lol

Edited by dann2707

Hey guys looking for some super vague advise, I'm planning on getting into track racing once I've got a full time job sorted. I have go-karting experience but nothing on the track. I'm looking for something cheap to start to see if its what I want to get into before I tip a bucket load of money into it. I like the sound of MX5's and Alpha 145 cloverleaf's and looks like you can pick them up pretty damn cheap and I won't be looking to do many upgrades straight away. Any advise? Do you have to do licences straight away? Is a roll cage a requirment? etc.

Having never done any racing, and only driven cars in fields badly, I suggest you watch Top Gear series 18 episode 7, because they go rally cross racing and it looks amazing.

• Like 1

That Top Gear episode glossed over a LOT of stuff...

Cheapest race ready car could be bought for about £3.5k I reckon, a race MX-5 would be £5k+ usually. You could build cheaper if that's your bag though. Safety gear (helmet, overalls, gloves, boots) and race license will be thick end of a grand too.

The car will need an MSA approved roll cage, fia harnesses and seat, fire extinguisher, battery cut off.

Cheap and motorsport don't really go together, track days might be a better starting point...

Fire me an email if you wanna know more dude :)

Neow.

Rally Cross is NOT a cheap fun alternative. Rally cross is PROPERLY expensive compared to a track day.

Buy an MX5 if you want RWD or a Clio 172 if you want FWD, keep it 100% totally standard and on road tyres. Then go learn to dribe on track :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear I'm not too worried about "racing", just 2 years ago I used to drive like a twat on the roads and decided that I would keep that side for the track where I could enjoy it without endangering anyone else. to be honest I'd be happy ragging a £600 145 around on my own to start with, my Dad used to do test driving so we have all the needed kit. Aren't there just open days where you can turn up, pay £150 and go mad for a day? Just don't want to get my hopes up and then find out its going to be £5k which is really out my price range short term.

And yea Rally cross looks great fun, but they were f**king up each others cars so its never gonna be cheap! haha

Edited by Simpson

Yeah, you can do open pit-lane track days, which are pretty much what you described, prices vary, but they tend to be between £100 and £200 depending on the length of session, and the venue. As long as the car's safe and road legal, not outrageously loud and you're wearing long sleeves/trousers you should be allowed out. Can't speak from experience though, as I've never had the cash and car to do it, as my non-student life started a couple of weeks ago :D haha.

Yea couldn't I just get something like this: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3907325.htm whip all the heavy shit out of it, go to a novice session at Brands Hatch for £140 my motorbike helmet, fire overalls and trainers / boots. And then if I want to evolve start with bucket seats and start building up?

If you just turn up and go nuts at a track or open pit day then you will be pulled off the track and bye bye to the rest of the day.

If you just want to get the driving frustrstion out then there is only one thing for it, banger racing!

Hillclimbs are not cheap, you need an MSA National B license to race as well as steep entrg fees. At best a hillclimb will cost you £1200 in kit for the right car and £250 for a weekend. Track days will cost at least £250-300 a time and open pit panes around the same. However if something goes wrong and the routine maintenence of the vehicle you can pay double that and more if something goes wrong.

Not to mention the whole no insurance AT ALL for you or the other drivers.

^^ Crikey, a sensible post :o:-

Could maybe look at a drift day? The 'sidewaysness' of it feels like you are ragging the shit out of the car / a bit out of control, when in fact you might be going fairly slowly, so it's much kinder on the brakes (which you will most likely need to upgrade on any car before you take it on a track day).

You don't need anything other than a lid for track / drift days, and no special license (normal road license is all you need).

It sort of depends what you want from the car, but I would highly recommend a MK1 MX-5 for a track car. Yes, they are 'hairdressers cars', they aren't quick in a straight line (but pretty much nothing feels fast in a straight line once you are on track, unless it is absolutely ballistic, like 350bhp/ton+), but they are super reliable, cheap (to buy and run), and spares are plentiful. Old 106s and Saxos are pretty good too, but you can't take one on a drift day :D

I fell into the trap of thinking I needed a 'fast' car for track days, but it's all about cornering speed, and the satisfaction of sticking with / passing something that's got twice the bhp is mega!

If you just turn up and go nuts at a track or open pit day then you will be pulled off the track and bye bye to the rest of the day.

One thing to consider, and no disrespect intended here to Simps, is that his idea of fast MIGHT be very different to other peoples..... I've been in cars with people who are 'driving really fast', and it's felt like a stroll to the shops.....

Everyones idea of fast is different, many people think they're going ultra quick and they're simply not, so I wouldn't instantly assume he'll be a black flag magnet on a TD.

Also, this line confused me:

Track days will cost at least £250-300 a time and open pit panes around the same.

An open pitlane day IS a trackday.....

I reckon the cheapest option by far for Simps will be airfield open pitlane days,

For example I'm doing Keevil next month, a full day 9-5 open pitlane track day on an airfield circuit, for just £99. it's 60 miles from me, so fuel there and back is about £30, and another £100 maybe for fuel on the day, although as a beginner I don't think you'd use more than a tank of fuel on a full day.

Trackdays start getting expensive when you go to a proper track venue, for example Goodwood in August cost me £200, and Brands in late August was £225. With travel, food, and fuel that'll be a £400 day!

Rally Cross is NOT a cheap fun alternative. Rally cross is PROPERLY expensive compared to a track day.

3 words: Subaru Impreza GC. The 2.0 N/A is absolutely bombproof and cheap to run. One of my sprint buddies bought a 1.8 2 years ago for 800 quid or something, he's been beating the hell out of it both on the track, off road and daily and it's still in great mechanical shape. It's completely stock and stupidly slow. I'm getting one this winter to have fun and enjoy having snow for once.