The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm not sure about the later focuses, but the st170's ride is FAR from comfortable, the rides pretty much rock hard, as in stiffer than most lowered cars I've owned. Could you not change the suspension on your Civic for something softer? Or you seem to like the idea of an Audi, but a bit sharper? What about an A3 with a TT rack and LCR lower wishbones? Should sharpen things up steering wise, suspension will still always be a compromise though, and I'm not sure if the same trick will work on the 8p models, which I guess is what you're looking at?

No idea what the R26 rides like, but that's the sort of thing I was getting at when I suggested a Megane, the french have pretty much always been the kings of making cars that ride and handle well, the German and Japanese cars seem to either roll like a yacht or break your spine at the sight of a pebble. Rover often seemed to get the balance right too IMO, shame they couldn't get build quality or driving positions right....

Edited by RobinJI

Sweet I saw those last pics in the garage, was wondering what the specs were?

I keep asking him for proper specifics but he's useless. He's right old school my Dad, will just say general stuff and I need more info haha.

It's a Focus ST170 engine on ITB's. Can't remember what make, will find out tomorrow. We fitted electric windows to it a few weeks ago as the window levels were DEAD against where the roll cage bar goes across so you had to open the door to open the windows. Well thought out right.

Dad's just been fitting and adjusting the seats rake and reach to how he wants it, he's such a little short bloke it's funny.

7416241118_6c090a470d_b.jpg

7416243856_e64cda0f87_b.jpg

7416246680_046ef5eab1_b.jpg

7416250332_8910a3a193_b.jpg

7416257104_a32c9a262e_b.jpg

7416260302_360a073baa_b.jpg

The bonnet is currently in the body shop, had an RS bonnet vent moulded in and all painted white. Apparently it looks lush.

• Like 1

Sitting in it just feels amazing. My dads been rallying since he was pretty young and I've never really appreciated it. i've sat in like stripped out cars with a cage and bucket seats but this is like a completely different league if you get me? Feels, built for a purpose not adapted around a normal car.

Also regarding my overheating issue on my car, someones just commented this, any proof behind it at all?

Dervs only overheat with lack of coolant, so its going to be one of three things.... thermostat, pump or possibly expansion tank/cap

Won't the fact your motor is now pushing out 30% more power than stock be a possible causing issue?

Not sure if they made the extra power by just fiddling withthe fueling and ignition or increasing the boost but either way you're putting a lot more force into the pistons and hence more strain on the head gasket. Will probably be fine with a fresh gasket/cambelt though so not a bad thing it's gone.

^^

Was never a big fan of increasing the boost on any stock engine, it's always going to lead to trouble. Perhaps your head gasket failure was caused by something else but the increased boost would definitely have been a contributing factor.

Edited by Greetings

TBF I did say RS Tuning weren't amazing...

HOWEVER, nothing wrong with upping the boost on a standard engine, as long as it is also mapped correctly and done within reason.

If your head gasket has gone weeks after upping the boost and having it mapped then chances are it is due to the tuning.

Head gaskets do not "just go" there is always an action, and they are always a consequence to something else. Wether that is over heating, running too much boost or whatever there will always be a cause for it doing a HG. They do not just fail with time.

Edited by Pashley26

Was my instant thought as soon as it went and I instantly texted Matty telling him that.

Hope the head isn't cracked or anything if it has gone. If I get the head skimmed and a new gasket on would that give an increase in even more power?

I need this done by next Friday for Radfest so might just give it to the garage to do instead of me trying it.

A dirty soot chucker for Bernard! I hope you keep the V8 for future (ab)use!! how long do you anticipate until he's roadworthy and your legal to cruise around in it?

V8's been sold to a mate of mine to pay for the tdi, my plan is to keep it diesel through uni and until i'm in a position to retire him to a more "toy" role - it'll be getting another strip-down, galvanising the chassis and bulkhead, some new axles to take the power and probably a 4.2 or something - if it's gonna be V8 again it needs to have over 200bhp or i'll just feel like a failure :P

Edit: should be going sideways round southend in about 2 or 3 weeks i hope!

Edited by Skoze

Saw this and thought of Jardo, the place where I'm building my car is full of them. Not sure what it is apart from that it's a completely stock Clio which arrives from the dealer with a sequential transmission, roll cage and all the other extras fitted?

imag0239b.jpg

Also bumped into another car on the road today, just a scratch on the bumper. All I can say is that I'd absolutely wreck that bird, hot as f**k although she was slightly shoutey at the beginning.

I've seen that somewhere before. It's half a car as a trailer. Well chavvy.

How about facelift Focus ST? more mature and not so chavvy looking as the pre-facelift, 3/5 door option, go for subtle colours like red, black or blue then it could be a bit of a win? Might not have as good interior but I wouldn't say they're the worse out there. Handling should be good being a Ford and refined engine....?

Steve

That's a good shout actually. They look fairly 'normal' in the right colours. Will have a look around. I kind of want something posh, like a BMW/Audi. They just don't seem to make the exact model I want. If it wasn't for the boot space issue I'd have loads more options. Maybe I'll have to relax that a bit...

I've seen that somewhere before. It's half a car as a trailer. Well chavvy.

That's a good shout actually. They look fairly 'normal' in the right colours. Will have a look around. I kind of want something posh, like a BMW/Audi. They just don't seem to make the exact model I want. If it wasn't for the boot space issue I'd have loads more options. Maybe I'll have to relax that a bit...

Bike racks exist for a reason :)

although three years on you are still driving a french "hot" hatch? maybe you should get the ITR before you stuff it again ?

EDIT: can't even remember what happened to that one!

Good plan, now how can we convince Prawn?

You know how most men have to convince the wife? In my case...Prawn is the wife.

Ironically I stuffed it trying to keep up with the actual wife in her Audi haha

Edited by Pashley26