Hope Hub Skipping

Chris Borneo

skinny-brick-wall-brown.jpg

Don't know who this is aimed at but that's dedinately what I'm feeling.

Another one for the mix. Is there any stiff links in the chain? I.e. where its been joined.

That's a fair question as it's about the only thing I can think of that might actually cause the chain to slip that i don't think is covered by the pics but there are dedinately no stiff links. It is dedinately the hub.

Sorry, so did I. There's no loud bangs or anything. It's just like it's not engaging and then suddenly it engages. Seems impossible for a hub with two sets of offset pawls but it's happening. Wonder if it's something to do with the seal. It's the only thing I can think of that could affect all four pawls, even if it's just for a second. Plan to dismantle it again at the weekend and clean it all so I can have a really good look at everything.

16:12? Sounds pretty light! If memory serves you're riding a Zoot, so you'll have horizontal dropouts - that'll change things quite a bit compared to having to run a vertical dropout frame with a tensioner...

creepy knowledge of my bike there, 16-12 is harder than the 18-15 zoots come out the box with, and even with a sloppy chain i've never had any skips, although i've got an ashton frame to ride now and i'm a little concerned about chain wrap now :( out of interest what're you brakeless boys and the rest of the 24" fraternity using?

Ah, if there are no noises then it won't be skipping. Suggests sticky freehub, possibly dead bearing, missing spacer or seal not seated correctly.

I did originally say it was slipping but someone suggested I meant skipping. I've clearly got the terminology wrong but when I put the power down it seems to skip a few teeth on the ratchet but only every now and again. The hubs only a few weeks old so shouldn't be a knackered bearing or missing any spacers. I'm thinkin now it must be something up with the seal.

to anylize this properly on here i will need a picture of the front 22t cog the 12t cog on the rear with no chain on and cleaned.

the hub freehub body from the side with all the pawls, all cleaned off

and the ring drive inside the hub shell all cleaned.

clean the grese of with kitchen towel as using gt85 wd40 ect... will dry out the seals on the bearings.

casing any oil you use to lube the wratchet to contaminate and ware out the bearings.

i fear the pawl springs have snapped on your hub leaving only a few pawls to drive the hub

or you have smashed the tips of the drive ring in the hub during heavy load.

or (unlikely) your cogs are worn out and the chain is slipping over the teeth

when I put the power down it seems to skip a few teeth on the ratchet but only every now and again. The hubs only a few weeks old so shouldn't be a knackered bearing or missing any spacers. I'm thinkin now it must be something up with the seal.

Ok cool, well if it's skipping there will be noise - whether it's the chain or hub. Look forward to seeing what the solution is!

to anylize this properly on here i will need a picture of the front 22t cog the 12t cog on the rear with no chain on and cleaned.

the hub freehub body from the side with all the pawls, all cleaned off

and the ring drive inside the hub shell all cleaned.

clean the grese of with kitchen towel as using gt85 wd40 ect... will dry out the seals on the bearings.

casing any oil you use to lube the wratchet to contaminate and ware out the bearings.

i fear the pawl springs have snapped on your hub leaving only a few pawls to drive the hub

or you have smashed the tips of the drive ring in the hub during heavy load.

or (unlikely) your cogs are worn out and the chain is slipping over the teeth

Are you serious? It's been said like 5 times that these hubs DO NOT come with GREASE in the ratchet/pawls.

Are you serious? It's been said like 5 times that these hubs DO NOT come with GREASE in the ratchet/pawls.

I thought they were just oiled too but to be fair I opened mine up to find it had grease in it, which I did mention I think.

Thanks for everyones replies. Hopefully I'll have time to dismantle it agin at the weekend and clean up the freehub to make sure there's no debris in there but I'm really thinkin it must be the seal, for none of the pawls to be engaging.

just a sugestion, did you bed your hub in when you first rode it? eg ride up and down hills alot and not pedal kick to tighten the rachet ring? if it feels like a soft slipping and not enough to jerk you while your putting the power down, it could be your ratchet ring tightening? or there is a possability that the rachet ring threads are starting to strip as what happend to my old pro2, if so send it bach to hope and they will replace it straight away!

give it a test when you can by pedaling up a steepish hill using as much leg power as possable, even try and drag your brake just to make sure!

give it a test when you can by pedaling up a steepish hill using as much leg power as possable, even try and drag your brake just to make sure!

Hadn't thought of that actually - if it's the hub, it won't skip when you do that (because it will already be engaged and locked in place). If it's the chain wrap, it will.