Broken Freewheel Again?

williams

hi there everyone! well i've broke my freewheel about 2 weeks ago, and i fitted a new freewheel about 5 days ago, and it worked fine, then suddenly it started to make a crackling sound and at one point it almost stops when you're rotating the cranks. what is the problem? thanks!

sorry but im not really sure about that... thanks for the fast reply, and the freewheel is broken, right?

Impossible to say without more info. Sounds like something's either moved or broken inside the mechanism. If it has a lockring accessible it's probably worth investigating the problem before getting a new one. Note that the lockring is most likely a left hand (opposite) thread and there may be a whole bunch of loose ball bearings in there so be prepared!

Impossible to say without more info. Sounds like something's either moved or broken inside the mechanism. If it has a lockring accessible it's probably worth investigating the problem before getting a new one. Note that the lockring is most likely a left hand (opposite) thread and there may be a whole bunch of loose ball bearings in there so be prepared!

well i can try to open it up, is it hard to put it together? but well i give it a go. cheers, and have a nice day!

should i record the problem, when im spinning the cranks backwards?

Edited by williams

well i can try to open it up, is it hard to put it together? but well i give it a go. cheers, and have a nice day!

It's not difficult but can be a bit fiddly. Keep track of where the parts go and the order they come off and make sure you catch all the bearings if it's a loose-ball type.

It's not difficult but can be a bit fiddly. Keep track of where the parts go and the order they come off and make sure you catch all the bearings if it's a loose-ball type.

so i guess you have to have pretty high volume for this, but you can hear it.... Edited by williams

Its hard to tell with no info but, Is your chain line straight ? check everything in the drive train (BB to rear hub) to see if anything is pushing or twisting your freewheel at an angle. It might be that the outer case of the freewheel is not aligned with the inner mechanism.

if its a non modified onza it will have a tensile freewheel, best i can recommend is to upgrade to a better freewheel like a white industries, i have one and its been completely troube free!

no, the Tensile freewheel borke for about 2 weeks ago, the whole freewheel just fell apart, then i got this fitted 5 days ago, and now it sounds/behaves like this.... but i guess i would buy the "RockMan 72 click" or the "ECHO SL 108" cheers, and have a nice day!

If you have square type bb and cranks that you need to release your crank because freewheel halt to the bb cups.

yes, i have the square taper BB and cranks, but sorry i don't quite get the rest.. :$

Cool.

Tensile freewheels come with a load of grease as standard, and if it's not thinned out a little it can cause them to skip a bit. If they start skipping a lot basically it just canes the internals of the freewheel, which is probably what led to it breaking.

The second freewheel is probably just a random generic freewheel, and pretty much all of them totally suck, especially for trials use...

1: That brake noise made me shit myself, you sir are a monster.

2: Generic bmx freewheels are terribly bad, I hope you didn't pay more than £10 for the freewheel and about £10max for labour.

hahaha well thay are quite loud, hehe :giggle:

yes, i know. i actually got it from my dad's bike store, they didn't have anything else either so i gave it a go, but i thought i would last longer too, but i just wanted to check if i could fix this problem, or if it is dead.

cheers, and have a nice day!

Cool.

Tensile freewheels come with a load of grease as standard, and if it's not thinned out a little it can cause them to skip a bit. If they start skipping a lot basically it just canes the internals of the freewheel, which is probably what led to it breaking.

The second freewheel is probably just a random generic freewheel, and pretty much all of them totally suck, especially for trials use...

okey thanks for all the detailed information!

well i get it, but do you think it's dead, or can it be fixed?

cheers!

Edited by william newbie

I'd just say get a new one, if its a halfords freewheel, that'll last a few days, not even that in trials

yes this is what i expected... is the "rockMan 72 click" a good freewheel or should i spend my money on the "Echo SL 108?

cheers, have a nice day!

Hi, my echo 108 freewheel is getting stucked. I want to remove the lockring to check and clean it. Somebody said that the threads of the lockring are oposite. So I need to turn it clockwise, right? Is there any recomended tool to remove the lockring? :turned:

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english

Have you tried squirting WD40 / GT85 / Penetrating lube into the lockring gap to loosen it up? Might be worth a try before you try to dissassemble. If you do take it apart, watch the bearings - They are loose and may fall under the fridge with the old sweetcorn.

• Like 1