Street 24

Scott Gibbs

im not sure what your personal preference is, but if you want to do any fast, flowy line's with manual's and 360's etc.. then i would suggest running a rear freehub as the FFW setup on my 24 felt awful at any speed above 1 mph!

after spending all last year to find the setup i (personally) like on a 24, i've ended up with

*rear freehub (pro 2 evo (Y) )

* maxxis holy roller's (win) these tyre's work well with everything you can throw at them, low pressure, high pressure, street, natty, skatepark's, dirt, everything else.

*loads of stem stackers

*trialtech high rise bars

*front disc (obviously)

*rear hs33 on hs yellows... my rear brake is a bit overkill i know, but it only get's used for tgs move's as i never use it riding street, strangely i have always done manuals and stuff brakeless, but still i like to have a powerfull rear brake on the bike if i need it, just incase we go and ride a bit of natty or whatever, it's there if i need it! (i can't afford a seperate tgs rig so i've attempted to build a bike that can ride everything street, tgs and even a few dirt jumps)

care to elaborate as to what frame/build your thinking about getting?

Yeah would of been better to say what i was planning to do.

*Ashton effect frame

*Onza zoot fork

*Dual v brake

*FFW 18-13 gearing. (down to budget not choice)

something along those lines.

Also has anybody used Spank Tweet tweet rims with rim brakes?

Not used the Tweets, but ran a vee on some Stiffys for a week and they didn't even get a chance to bed in. No issues other than that though - if you wanted to speed up the process a file and/or various grades of sandpaper would do the trick.

Also; Why the Zoot fork? If you're replacing the Ashtons to run dual vee either hunt down the older 24/26 mount Ashtons, or get some Pashleys/similar on there (Y)

18:13 will be pretty sweet and FFW isn't the end of the world, you can always mix that up a bit when funds allow at a later point.

Good luck with it, be sure to get some pictures up when you get it done!

* maxxis holy roller's (win) these tyre's work well with everything you can throw at them, low pressure, high pressure, street, natty, skatepark's, dirt, everything else.

The skinny holy roller on the front is horrendous, (I know that I'm still running mine) but get the thick one for sure!

*long steerer + loads of stackers = good

Not used the Tweets, but ran a vee on some Stiffys for a week and they didn't even get a chance to bed in. No issues other than that though - if you wanted to speed up the process a file and/or various grades of sandpaper would do the trick.

Also; Why the Zoot fork? If you're replacing the Ashtons to run dual vee either hunt down the older 24/26 mount Ashtons, or get some Pashleys/similar on there (Y)

18:13 will be pretty sweet and FFW isn't the end of the world, you can always mix that up a bit when funds allow at a later point.

Good luck with it, be sure to get some pictures up when you get it done!

Ah i wondered when you would appear with some sage wisdom! I was thinking the Zoot fork as i prefer a curved blade fork and its the only one avaliable with v mounts.

Take the Pashley over the Zoot. Perhaps a tad harder to get hold of but they're made almost entirely of win.

The only issue with the look is that the Effect is a chunky, fat-tubed alu frame so any skinny-legged steel fork is going to look a tad odd on there (which will be worse again with the Zoots...)

If you need some vees give me a shout - got my Ultimate/XTR setup (F&R) sitting around longing for a new home (Y)

im not sure what your personal preference is, but if you want to do any fast, flowy line's with manual's and 360's etc.. then i would suggest running a rear freehub as the FFW setup on my 24 felt awful at any speed above 1 mph!

In what way did it feel awful?

I cant manual yet so I cant see how a freehub would help me with them and spins.

In what way did it feel awful?

I cant manual yet so I cant see how a freehub would help me with them and spins.

some people may like a ffw setup, i thought my ffw felt great when riding natty/tgs and doing mostly static moves, but for me personally when im riding street and trying more bmx style moves it felt like the bike reacted really strangely whilst doing things at high speed with a ffw, especially with manuals.. it almost feel's like there is some wierd gyroscopic force going on with the freewheel and cranks when your doing like 15mph and it won't let you keep your leg's and feet in the postion you need them to keep the manual balanced properly, another problem arose when attempting tailwhips, having a rear freehub helps keep my pedals and cranks stay put when the bike is spinning around in mid air.

i think quite alot of the "help" i got from a rear freehub was just the confidence thing, i may be wrong but i think the pro2 is one of the srongest hubs you can get, so it helps to know that your bike will handle whatever you throw at it!

another problem for me (as far-fetched as it sounds) i just couldn't get used to the clicking sound of the drive mechanism coming from the center of the bike, after 10 years of having the noise behind me :S

also with a ffw i found it wierdly uncomfortable / massively off putting when your going pretty fast towards a gap or a dirt jump and you look down at your bike and your chain is spinning around and jumping all over the place , not a pretty sight :lol:

bit of a long list of fairly minor sounding issue's there i know.. but they are all problems that were solved immediately after bolting on a freehub (Y)

Edited by onzamartin

Out of personal preference I would go 18-12 just because I think it looks terrible in a park or anything with 18-13, 18-12 is bad enough! I thought my inspired felt a lot better with a bit harder gearing.

Out of personal preference I would go 18-12 just because I think it looks terrible in a park or anything with 18-13, 18-12 is bad enough! I thought my inspired felt a lot better with a bit harder gearing.

I guess i can always change gearing. I'll see how it goes i may use a similar set up to what i have now and run 2 sprockets out back.

Also has anybody used Spank Tweet tweet rims with rim brakes?

Ask Ben Rowlands, he likes them. Wider than most other rims. But only come in 32h.

Definitely recommend an Element. Apart from the closed cable guides it's a decent frame. I don't even think i've dented mine anywhere, and it's been thrown about quite allot too.

Hard gearing, short wheelbase, steep head angle, high front end, short stem, front disc, rear vee or disc if possible (vees are good 'cos you get shit loads of modulation when set up right but can still hold solid when you need it unlike hs33s which i've always found as too bitey if you wanna have a good hold) that's about it.

Oh and have fun!

Cheers lads all good pointers. Im prehaps thinking now a 16t trialtech freewheel on a fixed rear hub and the new 22t trialtech set up for the front.

sounds perfect, it's defiantely a good idea to run the freewheel on the rear if your intention is to build what will predominantly be a street trials bike.

if you get stuck on the last few parts of the build then give me a shout, im sure i will have some spare tyres or pedal's or brake parts etc kicking about (Y)