Try-All Karbons

Greetings

Yes, that seemed to be logical but I spoke to Adam from Tarty today and we concluded that I should just get a tall headset and Bob's your uncle. I spent the whole day looking for tall headsets, the tallest one I found was a 32mm Token. Didn't think this would be good enough though so didn't buy it. 104mm + 32mm = 136mm which is literally on the borderline. We're going to see if we can't machine something that will solve the problem. Either a custom top cup or the top part of the headset (not sure what it's called).

So can we agree that a taller headset is not a remedy to this problem?

I may be being dim but....

Is the insert not just to save the steerer at the point where the stem clamps onto the steerer? and the 135mm would give the minimum safe point you could clamp to ?

As said before surely its where the races that actually contact the fork that matter in any other respect, and a 135mm line seems a bit odd, given the use of high rise stems and low stack heights in the past ? Even with the Sky with its perfect 135mm stack surely the insert is going to create a weaker point even if the insert goes below the top race height? Just makes me think its more about the clamping than the flexing...

As for the rest of the topic, well I'm sure there used to be this dog that got dressed up for mega lolz.

I may be being dim but....

Is the insert not just to save the steerer at the point where the stem clamps onto the steerer? and the 135mm would give the minimum safe point you could clamp to ?

As said before surely its where the races that actually contact the fork that matter in any other respect, and a 135mm line seems a bit odd, given the use of high rise stems and low stack heights in the past ? Even with the Sky with its perfect 135mm stack surely the insert is going to create a weaker point even if the insert goes below the top race height? Just makes me think its more about the clamping than the flexing...

As for the rest of the topic, well I'm sure there used to be this dog that got dressed up for mega lolz.

the insert is for the star nut to be fitted into, also stopping the steerer from being crushed. the insert ends at around 125mm fromn the crown so they have given a bit of an overlap.

im glad people are starting to see my point here

Yes, that seemed to be logical but I spoke to Adam from Tarty today and we concluded that I should just get a tall headset and Bob's your uncle. I spent the whole day looking for tall headsets, the tallest one I found was a 32mm Token. Didn't think this would be good enough though so didn't buy it. 104mm + 32mm = 136mm which is literally on the borderline. We're going to see if we can't machine something that will solve the problem. Either a custom top cup or the top part of the headset (not sure what it's called).

you should be able to use the echo frame you have with a chris king headset rather than an echo which should give you a stack height of 135mm plus, save buying a new frame

i make it to be 136mm +/- .10mm

total stack height 31.4mm

Edited by dave33

Got an at least temporary solution.

Looked through some trials headsets and found the Bonz top cup to be perfect. The split ring which comes in contact with the steerer is on the very top of the headset which is also a pretty tall one. Neon bottom cup was the fattest I could find (colour doesn't match unfortunately :P), it also has a thick base plate which adds another 1mm to the stack height. Now at 137mm, however there is a spacer underneath the top cup. Not keen on this.

It could be an idea to look for a headset which has really long head tube inserts, that way one could safely place a fat spacer between the top cup and the frame.

img4501cp.jpg

post-147-0-41813200-1326838794_thumb.png

Got an at least temporary solution.

Looked through some trials headsets and found the Bonz top cup to be perfect. The split ring which comes in contact with the steerer is on the very top of the headset which is also a pretty tall one. Neon bottom cup was the fattest I could find (colour doesn't match unfortunately :P), it also has a thick base plate which adds another 1mm to the stack height. Now at 137mm, however there is a spacer underneath the top cup. Not keen on this.

It could be an idea to look for a headset which has really long head tube inserts, that way one could safely place a fat spacer between the top cup and the frame.

img4501cp.jpg

the red is the insert in the tube

the blue is top of headset

black being the spacer

yellow the shear point

its kool if tarty have agreed to using the spacer, but just take care and keep an eye on them

The spacer is underneath the cup, not above it and no, Tarty did not agree to this because I only just came up with the idea. It saves having to make a new top cup, instead all one needs to make is a nice fat and tight spacer which will go underneath the cup. Would need to buy a headset which has really long inserts but that's not a problem.

1511dartmoormoloko.jpg

Not too bothered about weight at the moment, the fork is bloody stiff and already feels so much better than the Echo SL even though I've only done some pivots and front wheel hops on it.

Greetings, if your not a weight weenie, you mean something like this?

My link

did you read the spec? the headset has the same stack height as the normal alu one.

you could probly get away with putting sort kind of spacer over the bit that is pressed in as that part is so long

did you read the spec? the headset has the same stack height as the normal alu one.

you could probly get away with putting sort kind of spacer over the bit that is pressed in as that part is so long

Thats what i was referring to :) You put a spacer between the headset and the frame, so the bearing races are further apart, but you still get loads of headset inserted into the frame

The spacer is underneath the cup, not above it and no, Tarty did not agree to this because I only just came up with the idea. It saves having to make a new top cup, instead all one needs to make is a nice fat and tight spacer which will go underneath the cup. Would need to buy a headset which has really long inserts but that's not a problem.

1511dartmoormoloko.jpg

Not too bothered about weight at the moment, the fork is bloody stiff and already feels so much better than the Echo SL even though I've only done some pivots and front wheel hops on it.

ha yes beat me to it, i can make you a cup which is higher to accept the echo bearing if you need

Unsure whether to pop an insert in mine just for peace of mind even though my stack height is above 135. They do feel solid though was hooking with them at the weekend and they feel really good.

i was chatting to Iciar van den bergh about the forks awhile ago, hes been running them with the sky frame which has the higher headtube and hasnt snapped a pair and i think he was one of the first people to start using them after vince.

hes a real best at hooking, in the other hand a small incert isnt gonna weight much so up to you

i was chatting to Iciar van den bergh about the forks awhile ago, hes been running them with the sky frame which has the higher headtube and hasnt snapped a pair and i think he was one of the first people to start using them after vince.

That's not 100% true... I'd say run an insert or risk loosing your front teeth!

post-1615-0-29895700-1326842295_thumb.pn

That's not 100% true... I'd say run an insert or risk loosing your front teeth!

Maybe it's because he was trying to sell me some, looks like that incert is the answer!

Any pics where you can see the frame he's uses ben ?

Which frame does Iciar use? I recognise the name but don't really know much about him. If it's a Sky 2, it'd be interesting to know whether he's got the 'new' Sky 2 or the 'old' Sky 2...

He now has the newer sky 2 but I would guess that he was on the sky 1 when he snapped the forks, same frame as vince was on when he snapped his forks at val d seare

What's the stack head of the sky 1 mark ? Around 117mm with the headset at a guess ?