Try-All Karbons

Greetings

I go through 1 set of Echo SL 4bolt forks every 6 months, thinking about getting something different this year. The only downside of the SL I've found is the complete lack of stiffness which is very visible on natural.

The Karbons have been around for some time now, so shouldn't be difficult to get an opinion on them. What are they like strength wise? Any problems? At a guess the stiffness should be on par with Trialtechs or other high end forks?

And finally, I remember someone talking about a tube+headset length of at least 135mm or so. How crucial is this to the strength of the steerer tube? My current bike is 127mm so not far off. Don't think I'll be changing to a different frame this year so it needs to be accounted for.

I go through 1 set of Echo SL 4bolt forks every 6 months, thinking about getting something different this year. The only downside of the SL I've found is the complete lack of stiffness which is very visible on natural.

The Karbons have been around for some time now, so shouldn't be difficult to get an opinion on them. What are they like strength wise? Any problems? At a guess the stiffness should be on par with Trialtechs or other high end forks?

And finally, I remember someone talking about a tube+headset length of at least 135mm or so. How crucial is this to the strength of the steerer tube? My current bike is 127mm so not far off. Don't think I'll be changing to a different frame this year so it needs to be accounted for.

It´s crucial because aluminium insert in steerer is only that long I think.

That doesn't make sense. Presumably the insert is installed from the bottom, not the top. If so, they should be quoting a maximum length, not minimum.

No man,it´s on the top where you put starnut to prevent steerer from damage caused by starnut instaling or overtightening stem clamp.

Jack Carthy had pretty much the first pair of Karbons we got in stock, and his are still going strong (they'll be 6 months old in a weeks time). Bearing in mind how ridiculously fast he used to go through aluminium forks, they seem to hold up pretty well. I think Adam made a steerer insert for them that extended the Koxx one slightly - as far as I'm aware it wasn't anything particularly major though.

Jack Carthy had pretty much the first pair of Karbons we got in stock, and his are still going strong (they'll be 6 months old in a weeks time). Bearing in mind how ridiculously fast he used to go through aluminium forks, they seem to hold up pretty well. I think Adam made a steerer insert for them that extended the Koxx one slightly - as far as I'm aware it wasn't anything particularly major though.

What bike Adam rides these days Mark?haven´t seen anything since red sky and his bikes are always fancy,so I´m sure everyone would like to see some pics ;)

Maybe you can,but it won´t revalidate your warranty.

I don't believe in Koxx warranty so even if these forks have one, invalidating it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that if they point out the stack height is relevant, it must have an impact on durability.

So if what Mark says is correct then they're probably worth buying. I'd be chuffed if they were twice as durable as the SL's. I'm a smooth and light rider, don't go bit either.

I don't believe in Koxx warranty so even if these forks have one, invalidating it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that if they point out the stack height is relevant, it must have an impact on durability.

So if what Mark says is correct then they're probably worth buying. I'd be chuffed if they were twice as durable as the SL's. I'm a smooth and light rider, don't go bit either.

They will be stronger with that insert,without it,I don´t think so.That insert is there for a reason ;)

I still think without the insert they are much stronger than sl's took Vincent a while to snap them

How do you know long it took vince to break the first verision?Iciar broke the first version in quite short period of time if remember right...There was pic where his fork snapped just where the insert is in the new version.

There was pic where his fork snapped just where the insert is in the new version.

If thats the picture of him mid sidehop behind a rock at Koxx days, then they weren't Karbons.

They were a pair of the Try-All Forxx in silver, a fair few pairs of them were snapping off at the stem (oddly, only the silver ones :blink: )

If thats the picture of him mid sidehop behind a rock at Koxx days, then they weren't Karbons.

They were a pair of the Try-All Forxx in silver, a fair few pairs of them were snapping off at the stem (oddly, only the silver ones :blink: )

This might be true,can´t find that pic anywhere :angry:

How do you know long it took vince to break the first verision?Iciar broke the first version in quite short period of time if remember right...There was pic where his fork snapped just where the insert is in the new version.

Well considering Vincent was testing them and had them before any other koxx riders I'm sure he would have tested them for while in training before he would turn up to a public event, and I think I could crack a pair of sl forks in a week !

Well considering Vincent was testing them and had them before any other koxx riders I'm sure he would have tested them for while in training before he would turn up to a public event, and I think I could crack a pair of sl forks in a week !

They were testing them for few years as far as I know and they did break quickly(the reason why they weren´t selling them for so long) till they started to use that insert.

Can't be bothered changing over to my own profile, so I'm using Ali's :P I think we've sold 20 or so pairs and we've only had 1 back in that time. The one pair that broke appeared to be a genuine manufacturing defect with part of the carbon, and wasn't really a problem caused by the design of the fork itself. I was initially pretty sceptical of them, but we've sold them to a pretty wide range of riders and haven't heard anything back from them (which is generally a good sign...). If you'd classify yourself as light or smooth (and you're not likely to be going out and throwing your bike or anything like that) then I don't think you'd have any problems with them. To be on the safe side you could always get a longer insert installed - it shouldn't really be that hard to do, and if you've got some connections to anyone with a lathe or something like that it shouldn't be a difficult job at all.

• Like 1