Rocket Pro Trials Project - Old Frame, New Build

Chris Borneo

Just started with the paint stripper. Massive fail! Barely having an effect on the powder coat and I'm using the old formula nitromors. Cannot be bothered with this shit. Powder coat they've used is as tough as the frame it's self I reckon. Gonna have to strip it all round the main gusset at least so I can be sure to cut that out straight. Then it looks like I'll have to get it shot blasted and might as well get a proffessional clear coat while it's there, instead of the rattle can job it was going to get. So much for doin it on the cheap eh.

Just started with the paint stripper. Massive fail! Barely having an effect on the powder coat and I'm using the old formula nitromors. Cannot be bothered with this shit. Powder coat they've used is as tough as the frame it's self I reckon. Gonna have to strip it all round the main gusset at least so I can be sure to cut that out straight. Then it looks like I'll have to get it shot blasted and might as well get a proffessional clear coat while it's there, instead of the rattle can job it was going to get. So much for doin it on the cheap eh.

defiantely the stuff with the dichloromethane!? wow...3lbs of frame and 3lbs of paint im thinking :P

Just got round to starting work on the Rocket. This was as much powder coat as I could get off with nitromors. Made the first cuts but couldn't get any closer with the full size hacksaw.

RocketFrameGusset2.jpg

Used a junior hack saw to get in a bit closer.

RocketFrameGusset3.jpg

Then started with the file. Last pic I could get before the light faded and the missus had me in for dinner.

RocketFrameGusset4.jpg

I'll finish it up tonight and start work on the custom head badge I'm gonna be making. Made this one already for an old club racer I restored with a mate in the summer. Not sure yet if I'm going to go with the same design or something new.

StrongIslandHeadBadge.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the rocket. Got the gusset filed to the shape I want. Just got to get the money together for the clear coat now.

RocketFrameGusset5.jpg

Meanwhile I've managed to blag a lend on a rear wheel from my mate Dave who's already been good enough to let me use his rocket frame, til mine's sorted.

DavesRocket005.jpg

DavesRocket003.jpg

Just got to paint the bars and the front end's done, short of a brake but that'll come later.

Tidy set-up (Y) however, this steed would ride so much sweeter if you run shorter length forks, and higher rise stem and bars.

You'd be surprised. Forks are only 40mm taller than most 26" trials forks so head angle is still okay and the bb is about the right height with this setup. Only down side is a bit of a lack of clearance up top which I can live with for now.

This looks sweet. I used to love the Rocket frames back in the day, could never afford one though!

It took me ages to work out how you'd added the port holes and nose cone to the rocket in this picture, then I realised it was part of the workbench underneath! Trippy...

Ha ha, hadn't even noticed. That is a bit trippy

You'd be surprised. Forks are only 40mm taller than most 26" trials forks so head angle is still okay and the bb is about the right height with this setup. Only down side is a bit of a lack of clearance up top which I can live with for now.

40mm is huge difference,it´s like having 80mm suspension fork

• Like 1

Yeah, I figure the head angle is about 71.5 now. Like I said it's okay. It was never meant to be a pure trials build. More an allrounder for a bit of street/trials and also to be able to go for a hack down the woods. If I get right back into the street trials thing I may look at something else.

• 2 weeks later...

If Steel Panther made trials bikes...

rocket-pro-fab-trials-0052.jpg

rocket-pro-fab-trials-002.jpg

Decided to move from the frame I borrowed to my own before I dented it. Decided to go for a quick rattle can paintjob with some ghetto gumwalls done with a brush. Was hoping it would be a lot darker. Might have to matt black it. Rides like a beast though and can take some beatings.

Cheers, It's a frame pad that's there for function more than anything. Think it looked better on my BMX

bmx-0071.jpg

Plan is to go for a clear coat on the Rocket eventually. Purple has got to go though. My mate saw it the other day n said "it looks like a trashy girls bike. Just needs tassels" Hate to say it but I think he's right. Will rattle can black over it as soon as possible

Edited by Chris Borneo