Rate Your Year!

dann2707

3/10.

Lost my dad, broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years over some little sket who treated my life like a game when i was a f**king state, did no-where near as well as i could have in my previous college course.

Roadtrip was good, passed my driving test, new college course is bueno.

Roll on 2012, even if the world ends it's gonna be better than the last one.

Edited by Skoze

Sounds like you had a rough time. Good thing is though, as you say, things can only get better.

I don't know about a rating. It's been up and down, some good trips abroad, some awesome climbing weekends, some amazing girls, but then a shedload of stressful work.

Last month though I escaped the corporate gulag 'only' 7 years into my sentence, and less than 36 hrs later found myself about 7000 miles away from the UK, which is about as close as I want to be right now.

I think 2012 is going to be very interesting.

I'd say 5 at best.

My year started off on the right foot after a very bad year before. In 2010 i started getting ill in february and from then until august ended up in hospital 6 or 7 times, twice on blue lights. It resulted in me needing 9 hrs of major abdominal surgery and a two week stay in hospital which was hard as my girls were 2 and 4. 8 weeks later another 4 hours surgery and 5 more days in hospital (which totalled more than a month for the year). After both ops i was blue lighted back to a and in serious pain. But it finished well as i had a 2 week rehab course through the firefighters charity and it made me stop and look at my life. I worked flat out all the time, it made me realise i needed to make time for myself, which is a big part of why i'm riding again.

Started this year feeling fitter than ever. Built myself an old levelboss with respectable spec and was enjoying that and a new found enjoyment in the gym. Got back on station and started to drive the pumps at work to shouts as i qualified shortly before my operations. But then i tore the ligaments in my ankle and was off for two months after only 10 weeks back. That meant no riding for nearly three months as i didn't want to damage my ankle again.

The next couple of months i started getting pains behind a scar on my hip which left my leg seriously weak. I woke up after a night shift to find a big lump on my hip so went to a and e to get it checked. I got out 5 weeks later at the end of september. Not being home with the kids that long was heartbreaking. I'm still off my bike and work at the moment due back next month.

In all this time i've found an armchair passion for cycling which i stopped years ago. Last year i trawled forums to build the koxx, this year i've spec'd an ashton effect quite well. Might do a start to finish of my bikes in bike pics when its finished.

It's been a torturous period for my family and i. I have my own family, home, amazing friends and a job i love but illness has stopped me making the most of it, but at the same time shown me how loved i am by my amazing wife, who's not once complained about having to take on the extras i cant do, and my beautiful little girls who continue to thrive as children at a difficult time. Without them this year would have been a 1, if i can stay healthy next year will be a 10

More rehab planned for feb so hopefully riding in april again.

Just read all this back, sorry, gone a bit deep!

Please excuse poor grammar, i'm typing on a touch screen tablet ( that my watch bought me whilst in hospital so i could skype my kids ) and it's a bit fiddly!

• Like 1

All things considered, I have to give it a 6/10.

Bad parts:

I spent most of January ill, at points feeling so bad I didn't know where I was, who I was and if I was going to survive. I spent £60+ on prescriptions and almost 2 months of going to the doctors. Then early February my grandfather passed away, which speaks for itself really.

Good parts:

Got promoted at work.

Now have a great girlfriend.

Got a new camera and some DJ gear.

Almost passed my driving test and now have a car, ready to go.

Went on two awesome holidays.

Just done so much in general this year, feel like I've achieved things. I've also changed as a person and I feel I've improved myself big time.

Just liked this but not what i meant, i empathise withe ill bit

Roll on 2012! :D

9.5/10

I've had some very upsetting times this year. I've lost a friend who took his own life, I've lost contact with my mum and we were evicted from our home which resulted in us having to re-home our cats.

But, I have a roof over my head, food in my stomach and a girlfriend who loves me. :)

Good points:

Riding was getting better and was pretty proud of the video I made

Camping in the summer which turned out to be hilarious (in good ways)

Various other activities

Radfest

Bad points:

My shoulder, having my arm dislocate half way up a climbing wall was pretty bad. And the other 3 times. Haven't been able to ride for the past month because of it.

Can't ride for the majority of next year as well. Massive :(

Still not enjoying school and forcing myself to go everyday

Decided to take a gap year next year, a decision I doubt a lot.

Not sure what that balances out at, I'm thinking a 5 but it's not like I'm starving, diseased or live in China.

About 6 i reckon.

Had a SHITE start to the year was payin out more than i was earning then it picked up in July!

Good bits.

Quit smoking!!!

Got a £5000 a year payrise!

FINALLY made my 1st group ride at the DJ ride in pompey.

Started to get My Aussie visa sorted :)

Paid my debts off.

Bad bits.

Split up with the missus of 5 years (back together now.)

Still havent spoken to my dad (which has been 2 years now)

Got into quite abit of debt :(

STILL havent got myself a 24 yet!

Lost a good friend in a motorcycle accident.

Havent done ANY fishing this year.

Put on too much weight!

Missed out on Thruxton BSB again!

Fairly mixed year hope to make right some wrongs next year and start doing more for ME rather than worry about every other f****r!!!

You're a doctor? I like you even more!

Doctor of engineering rather than medical though ;)

The tough call was the being a Dr and then getting married... the other half was Ms Power so I could've become Dr Power... kinda sounds like an evil mastermind though and although good for the novelty factor I fear it may have worn off so I'm just Dr Marshall.

• Like 1

Doctor of engineering rather than medical though ;)

The tough call was the being a Dr and then getting married... the other half was Ms Power so I could've become Dr Power... kinda sounds like an evil mastermind though and although good for the novelty factor I fear it may have worn off so I'm just Dr Marshall.

I see I see. Still like you though blushing.gif

I would say 9/10 this year.

Its been good:

Became an uncle

Got a new car

Had said car remapped, now feels like a completely different car

Started trials again - got new bike also

Got payrise at work

Work won 3 agency of the year awards

Currently looking at apartments and houses as will be moving out in Jan

Been with GF 2 years, still not had an argument or fallout

Got a new dog!

Bad points:

Old dog died (well, we had her put down as she was suffering a lot)

GF was in a car crash, luckily nothing other than her car was hurt (and pride)

Mate has moved to australia! Lucky git

Cant think of any more bad points, so all in all its been very good year!

5/10

Bad: Didn't enjoy the job I got earlier in the year but I got fired anyway. Lack of money, bad flat with bad contract, uni work.

Good: Started riding trials. Still alive.

That's about it.

All in all, average.

Edit: Got some money from the uni, things just got better!

Edited by Pete.M

Awesome year, 9.5/10.

Good -

Went to goodwood festival of speed,

Built a really nice trail bike which I'm still enjoying,

Epic road trip across France,

Started to build houses for reptiles which has proven very successful, which has led to opening up other ventures.

With said woodwork venture, I've been able to buy a lot of tooling an equipment which is awesome.

Finally getting somewhere with the mini,

Bad -

Got laid off around May which sucked, back at work now thou,

Haven't driven the mini at all this year!

5/10

Good

Got a solid missis who is a babe, don't want anything other than her

Been pretty healthy

Bad

Missis rapes my money (not her own fault)

Maxed out overdraft

Course is still shit

lost contact with mates I thought were close. Allow

On the plus side start work after uni and will have money for the first time ever hopefully