Inspired Hex/fourplay/element And Bottom Bracket Question

TrialsMan Dan

Got my Inspired Hex frame the other day and using the Truvativ Husslefelt Trials crankset and XR bottom bracket off my old Ashton. I know that this is the same set up as on the Hex complete bikes, question I have is what is the chainline/axle length on the Hex complete build? My set up from the Ashton is too short despite both frames having 68mm BB shells. I'll need to order a new BB but I'm unsure what size I need. I'm sure the Fourplays and Elements have the same BB shell and chainstay yokes, so can anyone tell me the chainline length off theirs? Any help much appreciated as that is the only thing holding me back from getting the bike built.

Dan

Edited by TrialsMan Dan

But I'm not sure what length I need, thus my query going out to Inspired owners or anyone that can advise me (Y)

Well if you tell us what you're currently running we can advise as to whether it is compatible or if it's too short... which it sounds like it is. In which case you'll need to get a BB with a longer axle.

Hi

Im not completely certain on your question if I'm honest...

However, I had an inspired fourplay and ran a because BB 73mm / 68mm Shell (with spacer) and an axle length of 128mm

Just go for 128mm, bound to clear the frame then if thats what the issue is

cheers

The yoke on the Hex is actually exclusive to that frame - the Fourplay 2011 one is different, as is the one on the Element 24" and 26" bikes. They're all sooooort of based around the same shape, but then tweaked for each frame.

I don't really know much about these types of BB, but I'm guessing you'll be needing the longer one of the two if your current one is too short. The yokes on the Hex frames are pretty wide - if you run Saints for example, I think you generally have to space the drive-side out a lot to get them to clear properly. As far as I know, the Effect has a pretty slim (in comparison) yoke, so if you've got the full build BB then I'd imagine it's the narrower of the two.

The yoke on the Hex is actually exclusive to that frame - the Fourplay 2011 one is different, as is the one on the Element 24" and 26" bikes. They're all sooooort of based around the same shape, but then tweaked for each frame.

I don't really know much about these types of BB, but I'm guessing you'll be needing the longer one of the two if your current one is too short. The yokes on the Hex frames are pretty wide - if you run Saints for example, I think you generally have to space the drive-side out a lot to get them to clear properly. As far as I know, the Effect has a pretty slim (in comparison) yoke, so if you've got the full build BB then I'd imagine it's the narrower of the two.

Just the man I'm looking for, I can get the BB fitted but the chainring fouls the chainstay yoke (you dont half say its wide!) Had a look on Chainreaction and they have either 51 or 56mm chainline BB's, says nothing about axle length. And yeah i'm using the BB off the Effect. Do you think I should try the 56mm and space out the drive side?

It'd probably be worth it, as it should fit on there, really. If you grease the shit out of everything (so it doesn't get marked) you could always do a sneaky return thing to CRC if it doesn't fit properly with the wider spacing ;)

Again though, I'm not really too clued up on this particular BB setup so I wouldn't take this for 100% certain, but if I was you that's how I'd play it.