Anyone A Bookworm?

Azarathal

The sleepless nights and sudden distaste for gaming has brought back my love for reading, does anyone else read for fun or am I here?

I pre-ordered Inheritance (Book 4 of the Inheritance series, Eragon being the first) and received Temeraire as a free gift.

That was rougly 6weeks ago and since then I've read 4 of the series, so far actually wanting me to go buy the next book as soon as I finish rather than with most other books just getting the next in line when I happen to be near a book shop.

Going to get book #5 in the series tomorrow, hoping to read that and book #6 before the 8th when Inheritance is finally released. Then I'll probably re-read the LOTR trilogy whilst waiting for the seventh Temeraire book to come out.

Sorry for what seems to be a large block of text, it's late, I can't sleep and have nothing more to do.

Considering I haven't read the books since I was 13(5years ago) I'm going to have to relearn most of the names of people and areas the films miss out it should keep me very busy. I have the all-in-one hardback copy though with about 30pages of maps and various illistations throughout which should help.

I went through a phase of reading everything James Herbert a few years ago, read the complete Rats series, really like the last of the series though, set in post-nuclear war Britain.

Edited by Azarathal

Your grasp of the language begs to differ, Mr Anscombe! :P

:lol:

Probably going to show my age a bit here (although I was born 4 years after it was published), but I really love Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (actually five books, plus a 6th written after Adams' death by Eoin Colfer). They're well worth a read if you haven't already, can't recommend them enough!

I went through a phase of reading everything James Herbert a few years ago, read the complete Rats series, really like the last of the series though, set in post-nuclear war Britain.

I once read one of the Rats books, it reminded me so much of this:

In fact, there's a scene almost exactly like that in the one I read; blah blah, burgeoning, throbbing member, blah blah, mossy cleft, blah blah thrusting, pumping, blah blah, then they were eaten by a horde of giant rats.

I've tried reading the Hitchhikers Guide, but I just found the whole 'trying to be random' thing got really tedious. Because so much random shit kept happening I just found it hard to really get into it in any way.

By the same token I don't really like Monty Python much :P

I wouldn't say I'm a bookworm, but I do like stories :)

If you're in to the fantasy as your title-dropping suggests, The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. (And anything else by him. Favourite writer, at the minute.)

It's written for people a bit younger (probably the 14-17 range), but I mostly read for the story rather than the style of writing - and the story is absolutely brilliant.

Trudi Canavan is worth a look too, as is Terry Pratchett. Never gave him a chance before, but picked some up last week* and they're good fun if you're looking for something you don't have to commit to as much.

I tend to read one "serious" book/series, then a couple of Discworld's just so I don't get bogged under :P

I hear Robin Hobb's is a good way to go - though I've not tried them out yet.

Iain M. Banks' Culture novels if you fancy some sci-fi/space opera instead.

If you want a fairly serious commitment, get The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archives vol.I), also by Sanderson. Seriously good, but pretty chunky, and you'll be left gagging for more since it's not yet got it's sequel.

*Edit: No idea why I wrote "last week". I definitely meant "a few months ago" :lol:.

Edited by aener

I thought i was the only one.

I think there might be more of us, but popular opinion suggesting we're "wrong" seems to not really make many speak out about it...

In semi-related news, I read the shit out of Terry Pratchett when I was a kid. Pretty good stories, and well written too. That's "young me" speaking there - I don't think I'd really read them now, but they're worth a look if you haven't seen any of them before.

Jack Reacher books are good, I like them.

I bought a book by James Patterson once... Well, at one point I was seriously considering putting it down. You know, in that book the main lead (sending the character to africa to find the bad guys) was delivered by a bar tender. 'HAY I think those guys were africans'.

I think he's just spent lots of money on marketing, rather than writing good books. Anyway, other ones by him might be decent but I'll not bother looking.

Andy McNab's books, well, the one I read (exit wound?) was pretty good.

Terry Pratchett is good too. I dunno if anyone's mentioned him :shifty: