Shimano Servo Wave Brakes

Greetings

Just wondering if the Servo Wave system has turned Shimano brakes from the Deore groups into something that can be used for trials as succesfully as a properly set up Avid BB or Hope Trials? In the tech info I found that this system increases braking power by 20% but that sounds like a bit much - it's roughly the difference between using a 160mm rotor and a 203mm rotor.

I'm looking at experimenting with a few disc brakes in the winter to see what's what, wondering if these are worth a shot. I mean specifically Deore group brakes, not Saint.

I've only used the servo wave XT cable lever but there are multiple settings you can choose depending on how much assistance you want, the more power gained through servo the more spongy and horrible the brake felt.

That was only on a single XT front vee setup though, other setups might be better.

they are all usable for trials, Dominik Raab uses front and rear XT brakes on his 26" (with 160mm rotors too I think!).

So the XT brakes are a good choice?

Bite, hold?

Guessing you have to leave them to bed in for a while....

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Like most brakes yes..

I meant compared to Hope Mono Trials. Mono Trials have brake pads designed with trials in mind, so they dont take long to bed in.

(I know this as Ive set up jakes brake recently with new pads and they took no time at all)

Compared to XT brakes that are MTB orientated with harder pads, I would expect them to take a little longer to bed in.

Was asking Ali seeing as he knows what he's on about here.

Mono Trials have brake pads designed with trials in mind, so they dont take long to bed in.

One has pretty much nothing to do with the other. Trials disc brakes are meant to have more locking power rather than shorter running in times.

Cheers for the opinions, might give the XT a try some time soon.

One has pretty much nothing to do with the other. Trials disc brakes are meant to have more locking power rather than shorter running in times.

Cheers for the opinions, might give the XT a try some time soon.

Deores seems to be even stronger than slx or xt brakes according to tests in bikeradar though.

It seems that they've replaced the long non-assisted lever of the M595 with a short SW lever in the newer model. That said, the M596 can be got over here for 35 quid so it'd be stupid not to try one out.

The hydraulic levers are about 15 quid, combined with an Echo TR caliper that could give some serious firepower. Deffo going to experiment with these in the winter.

It seems that they've replaced the long non-assisted lever of the M595 with a short SW lever in the newer model. That said, the M596 can be got over here for 35 quid so it'd be stupid not to try one out.

The hydraulic levers are about 15 quid, combined with an Echo TR caliper that could give some serious firepower. Deffo going to experiment with these in the winter.

yeah I know they are really bargain,I was also considering one,but I decided to keep my Vees.

Didnt you say you've tried this before?