Does Anyone Run Two Rear Cogs, Will It Work?

Matt24.

just wondering but I ride a bit of park aswell as mostly trials and when I am riding park obviously my gearing is far too easy, just wondered with a single speed rear tensioner if I run another sprocket at the back with the chain line not as central as it normally is due to the trials cog being there would it work ok or would it skip? Thoughts opinions?

Matt

If the tensioner isn't in line enough it will make it skip or pull the chain off of the sprocket. If you get THIS I believe you can adjust the chain line with out loosing tension from the spring as the rod that slides across isn't round so it won't spin around when you undo the pinch bolt. Not 100% sure on that though. Or you could run a mech and a shifter.

I do and it works fine. I have a tensioner that has the roller and jockey wheel on a sliding rod so all i have to do is undo the pinch bolt, slip the chain across do up the bolt again. Then to take up any remaining slack i undo the mech hanger bolt pull the arm back and tighten the bolt again.

I've never had a problem with it skipping or moving.

This. I used to run 2 gears on the back of a jump bike while I couldn't decide on a ratio, so I just whacked a rear mech on there - what with them being designed for the situation and everything...

Does seem a very silly thread really pinch.gif I used to run gears on my trials bike for years. More for riding to and from trials locations though.

I think 12t is the limit. One thing i will tell you is through trial and error i've found a 3 tooth difference is probably the most you can get away with, other wise you'll end up with alot of chain skip. I think i ended up running a 16t for Trials and 14t for general riding around.

My apologies for being thick and producing a thick thread, however you can be safe in the knowledge that now I am that little bit smarter after this thread. I may even be upgraded to being allowed to move from picture books to reading the sun, I have been waiting a long time for that, I have always wanted to know what those women near the front are seeing, but thank you.

In hindsight maybe the silliness is not correctly reading the original topic thread which was not related to gears in the first place merely that if I had two cogs would a tensioner off set from the chain line hold correctly skip run etc?????

Oh and bender b rodreguez thanks for the advice I am thinking I am going to run with a 12 then....

My apologies for being thick and producing a thick thread, however you can be safe in the knowledge that now I am that little bit smarter after this thread. I may even be upgraded to being allowed to move from picture books to reading the sun, I have been waiting a long time for that, I have always wanted to know what those women near the front are seeing, but thank you.

In hindsight maybe the silliness is not correctly reading the original topic thread which was not related to gears in the first place merely that if I had two cogs would a tensioner off set from the chain line hold correctly skip run etc?????

Oh and bender b rodreguez thanks for the advice I am thinking I am going to run with a 12 then....

Alright darling, get a grip of your pants before you spit them out.

We were just saying that the BEST solution to your overall issue (wanting to run two ratios) would be served by a derailleur. Why choose a dodgy solution when a perfect one is available, probably out of spares you already have?

Don't put down those picture books just yet sweetie.

• Like 1

JD the flippant comment was not made at yourself, it was for the man who quoted its a silly thread. I am not to keen on running a full set of gears and I would still like the chain to be as tight as poss on tensioner as it will only be occasionally I ride park, trails, just want it there for when I do hence wanting to do it that way.

I used to use 2 gears.

Had a cassette I cut apart, had to space the sprockets out more than standard for the chain to fit properly (3/32" chain). The derallieur basically shifted from one limiting screw to the other, but despite this it would sound a bit rickety.

I put my shifter on the handlebar close to the stem.

Thats a good little idea there Luke, I am assuming I will have to run the two cogs fairly close to allow the barrel adjuster to move enough to swap the gears...

You'll want them close so the mech has enough range of movement yeah, but you'll get a better chainline then too rather than one of them being miles out (Y)