New Front Disc Brake.. But What One?

Laurence--Trials

I'm looking for a new front disc brake on my bike as i'm starting to get into streety stuff like nose manuels etc.. the only thing is im not wanting to add loads of wait over my current 385g vee brake set up (not including the weight of the rotor) I'd love a shimano saint but the 670g weight is a bit of a no no.. Any points in the right direction?

what about them formalar 4 there ment to be nuts, somone twisted there rear hub on a jump bike, so they must be gd, ill try n find the vid.

I assume your talking about the "Formula one" brake, they are really good apparently but ideally i want to buy new and i'm not looking to spec £195 (unfortunly)

Had a look though chainreationcycles, will probably go for this. Just wondering if 160mm will be enough?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Get an Avid BB7

As below, and wanted a hydraulic disc.

To heavy for him, he's got one in his garage

After a bit of research came up with this:

First choice of brake: 400g and £63 Formula ORO K18

Second choice of brake: 458g and £57 Shimano Deore

Third choice of brake: 487g and £65 Magura louise FR

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Nah, had problems with the lever of that before and they weigh 444g without rotor.

What problems?

Just go with the Hope. Stick a lightweight 160mm rotor on there and your bike will put on little over two bags of crisps. Run it and look after it!

I'll be amazed if you really can't cope with adding 100g or so to your front end. If it bothers you, get a lighter tyre, tube, cut knobbles off, sellotape as rim tape, drill bigger holes in the rim, go 28H and lace it radial one side. Just stop being a gayer and put a real brake up there :P

All well and good having a light brake, but if it doesn't perform well enough you're gonna hate yourself.

• Like 1

Fag, go with the BB7 or the saint you're worshipping at the moment.

Unless you've got the money to get the NOWAR bars and sky frame and ridiculously light bits and bobs a strict weight mission is unnecessary. What was it, 300 grams? Don't ride in a hoodie and ride in shorts, that'll save you the weight to run that saint brake.

dont get formulas, theyre crap. Im also thinking about buying a new disc brake and my choice is between hope tech trial (170eur) hayes prime (160eur) or hayes stroker (70eur). But im not sure... Im not getting shimano saint cuz theyre an overkill for trials and to expansive (theyre meant for downhill i suppose?)I had a friend telling me he destroyed the "jaws" (however its called in english) of formula r1. Also most people tell me to stay away from formula and magura, and avid also, since a mechanic told me there are a lot of problems with avids. Ill probably go with tech trial at the end but im not sure... Right now i have magura louise, i had magura julie too and hayes nine. To be honest i dont really see any difference except for the feel of the lever pull. But none of these brakes have anything you can adjust at all, no lever reach or bite point control. Well, hydraulics are hydraulics. The price wobbles when it comes to adjustment and lightweight and new innovations like the Brake point one or something, 340$ for it and if you ask me its not worth it. Its like buying a t-shirt. You can buy a t-shirt for 1$ or for 100$ but ofcorse the one for 100$ isnt going to be 100 times better then the one for just 1$ (as the price suggests) youll get the best for about say 30$. Everything above that and youre just paying for the brand (to have it say D&G on it and stuff). What im trying to say is dont think theres so much difference between them, its all about these "extra fines" that they have. GL though. Oh and mechanic brakes are another storry, but IMO not so powerfull, because the whole point of hydraulics is to multiply the pull force. And with mech brakes you can feel the cable expand lol. Well its just my 2 cents :D:rolleyes:

What problems?

I snapped the barrel about 3-4 times. So I'm NOT going hope.

Fag, go with the BB7 or the saint you're worshipping at the moment.

Unless you've got the money to get the NOWAR bars and sky frame and ridiculously light bits and bobs a strict weight mission is unnecessary. What was it, 300 grams? Don't ride in a hoodie and ride in shorts, that'll save you the weight to run that saint brake.

Dont have the money for carbon bars, and im on 24" trial so no sky frames for me.

check out Shimano SLX and XT brakes.

Will do, thanks ali :)

I snapped the barrel about 3-4 times. So I'm NOT going hope.

Snapped the barrel? The brass one?

I don't really care what brake you go for so not pushing you towards Hopes, but i've had about 4 pass through my hands over the years along with experience with about 10 others, and never had this problem so curious...

Snapped the barrel? The brass one?

I don't really care what brake you go for so not pushing you towards Hopes, but i've had about 4 pass through my hands over the years along with experience with about 10 others, and never had this problem so curious...

Yeah, ripped the threads out of it so its un-usable.

How did you manage to do that?

Was that because you had the bolt hanging out halfway or something? For it to happen so many times has got to be user error...

Nope, it was just pokeing out of the other side of the barrel (to where it goes into it) so it had all the threads being used. I ripped the threads of several occations all doing drop-gaps/ drops. So either way i dont want to go back to a hope lever using that system.