Jeremy Vanschoonhoven

Rich Hill

Ali, I know that the obvious route is to get Mark to do your next vid - and quite rightly so - but I'm going to come right out and say that if you got that person/team on it then it'd be easily one of the best trials videos ever made.

That sounded like I was coming right out in at least 2 ways.

Ali, I know that the obvious route is to get Mark to do your next vid - and quite rightly so - but I'm going to come right out and say that if you got that person/team on it then it'd be easily one of the best trials videos ever made.

I disagree with that, I hated the filming in that video. At first I thought it was pretty good but was just too repetitive with the swooshing around. And the riding and song were boring for me, so was not a good video for me.

I don't know how loads of swoopy, flashy camera angles would really translate to somewhere as gash as Blackpool without a mental backdrop like Moab! I reckon that in terms of blending that fancy, Hollywood-style filming with 'normal' riding filming Dave Sowerby does a pretty awesome job. I really liked almost all the filming in Way Back Home...

I don't think Dave Sowerby would dub over the sound of some crappy commuter hub when Ali was riding past the camera either ;)

I don't know how loads of swoopy, flashy camera angles would really translate to somewhere as gash as Blackpool without a mental backdrop like Moab! I reckon that in terms of blending that fancy, Hollywood-style filming with 'normal' riding filming Dave Sowerby does a pretty awesome job. I really liked almost all the filming in Way Back Home...

True point I suppose, but surely Blackpool has 'interesting' backdrops to swoop around? Perhaps not as cliche stunning as Moab, but I still think it'd add something. Fortunately for everyone I have neither the skills nor equipment to do it, otherwise I'd have to try!

I guess so... I wasn't massively keen on the amount of use of it. I just personally don't really like the whole "cinematic" way of filming videos like that - it just doesn't really feel connected to the riding, especially when there's no real bike noises (well, not from the rider's own bike) being used either. You can definitely tell when something's filmed by a rider and when something isn't filmed by a rider.

I can sorta see where people are coming from with the comments on his riding but I think more than anything it's just the riding quality:production values ratio that's a little bit one sided. I didn't think he was too shoddy at all.

Those shots were pretty stunning though, that kind of landscape really demands sexy shots like that.

I'm a little bit confused though, my brain is telling me it's been shot on a crane jig thingy but some of the shots seemed as though it was almost a helimounted cam, am I confused?

I guess so... I wasn't massively keen on the amount of use of it. I just personally don't really like the whole "cinematic" way of filming videos like that - it just doesn't really feel connected to the riding, especially when there's no real bike noises (well, not from the rider's own bike) being used either. You can definitely tell when something's filmed by a rider and when something isn't filmed by a rider.

Definitely overdone in this particular edit, but with certain shots Cleaned down a bit I think the video (the hypothetical Ali one I mean) would be an absolutely winner. If you could do the whole 'cinematic' thing without losing the rider connection, that'd create something really special I think. Not that the Clean stuff isn't already of course, just thinking out loud mainly.