Euro Bike 2011 Inpired Skye

Laurence--Trials

Quote from pink bike: The Inspired Bicyles Skye. Designed for some trials rider who’s apparently quite exciting to watch. Someone called Danny MacAskill. No, I’ve not heard of him either...unlike many trials riders this bike’s fitted with disc brakes. What separates them from the average is that they’re designed with trials in mind so are super grabby. By the way, if you really haven’t heard of him then you need to check this out.

post-22746-0-80529600-1315330477_thumb.j

post-22746-0-03916200-1315330495_thumb.j

Other than cranks, that thing is perfect.

I do hope when it comes as a full bike that the steerer has the option of coming uncut, otherwise it's going to be one less sale.

The whole bike just looks perfecty balanced and simple especially with the 20mm forks.

Seems the release date is more elusive than well something quite elusive.

That's what i thought, i was just surprised at the dismissal of it, as it's something i've been excited about for quite a while.

I'm sure the words were something along the lines of 'it'll be a million pounds just because it's got Danny's signature on it' - eat dem words boy! :)

Other than cranks, that thing is perfect.

I do hope when it comes as a full bike that the steerer has the option of coming uncut, otherwise it's going to be one less sale.

The whole bike just looks perfecty balanced and simple especially with the 20mm forks.

Seems the release date is more elusive than well something quite elusive.

All of Inspired's bikes seem to have been pushed back a bit, but it should be out pretty soon.

The complete bikes usually come with steerers at that length (same as all the Fourplay, Element and Hex bikes). If they're still planning on releasing a framekit too the steerer might possibly be longer on that (similar to how it's longer on the 'aftermarket' Fourplay forks), but I couldn't say for definite.

God i hope so, as it might sound silly but it'd be the difference between me getting one and not even contemplating it. Knowing how many Inspired riders like to run at least 35mm of stackers, i think it'd be crazy not to at least be an option somehow.

I understand it'd be difficult to orchestrate as you don't want to sell a complete bike with a big-ass steerer - but could they not ship it to the store (such as you guys) with an un-cut steerer such as many MTB companies do and then the bike shop cut it down to the required level? Or does it come assembled direct from the manufacturers?

Just from the pictures it only appears to be able 20mm of stackers which i think (as i'm sure you will certainly agree) to an extent defeats what they're all about and limits their possible use.

that frame does have a lower bb though, so you wouldn't need as many stackers.

Oh ok. I'm currently running 35mm of stackers on mine with a Hope 10 degree stem and 50mm rise bars on the original Fourplay, and i certainly wouldn't want to go any lower than that, so what would you suggest would suffice in terms of stackers to create a similar front end feel with the lower BB of the Skye? (If that makes sense).

well I am not sure if I can tell about the exact geo, but you will be able to use fewer spacers and have the same relative hight from the pedals for sure. The amount of spacers on the production Sky wouldn't be far off.

And i suppose for me that'd be going from the original fourplay which is what, +35mm....? So in comparison to the Skye which doesn't look high at all then their would be a noticeable difference.

Going from the pre-2011 to the 2011 Fourplay was a massive difference for me. I had to drop some spacers out from under my stem 'cos it just felt weird as hell. I ended up putting some little blockers in my dropout to raise my BB height a bit so I put some spacers back in, but yeah, I could've got away with a bunch less spacers under my stem on my new style Fourplay. The Skye geo is similar-ish to the 2011 Fourplay so I'd imagine you could get away with running at least a few less spacers. If worst comes to worst you could always just run a slightly higher rise stem (e.g. a 90x25 or something). I had a go on Danny's bike when he was running a Hope 70x25 stem (the choice of winners :P) and it felt awesome...

(Quote thing no work for me)

Reply to Luke:

Yeah I know there's the option of 25 degree stems and such - but I really like the mix of a Hope 90mm stem with enough stackers, as opposed to some erection style stem. It's mainly an aesthetic thing, I just find really high rise stems awkward looking and break the lines of the bike. Granted most will say 'what you worrying bout looks for fool', but it is a consideration when I build a bike as stupid as that may be-but aesthetics is what I do, so what you gon' do?

I'm just interested Luke is all you know, no need to come in here with your awesome bloody surname and your extensive high-rise erectile stem knowledge to rain on me little parade. :)

Reply to Mark:

All makes sense. Guess I'm just anal about these things and like to make the decision myself about exact height and what not. I like to have control over the set-up (which is why i've never bought a complete bike). Just be good if the option was there, for those sad people like myself.

Edited by Matthew62

I'm less of a fan of flat looking stems, but I guess that's 'cos I'm used to mine now... A 90x25 stem won't look too much different to the 10 in fairness. The Trialtech Race stem doesn't look mega high rise or anything. The shorter the stem is the more exagerated the rise appears to be.

Reply to Mark:

All makes sense. Guess I'm just anal about these things and like to make the decision myself about exact height and what not. I like to have control over the set-up (which is why i've never bought a complete bike). Just be good if the option was there, for those sad people like myself.

Yeah, I think it's just the limitation of getting everything sorted overseas. Having to mess around with stuff like that must suck. Specifying exact chain lengths with manufacturers and all that jazz - no bueno. Sort of interesting article related to that on Chris Arriaga's blog.