What Would You Determine As "light"?

SamKidney

Hi guys.

Was just wondering within what weights is a bike deemed heavy or light?

Sprung to mind as I found out tonight that my Onza Ice 2 weighs around 8.2kg 9.1Kg (Cheers Jamie ahaa) as a full build.

Would you say thats light ok giggle.gif?

Cheers Sam. :)

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Hi guys.

Was just wondering within what weights is a bike deemed heavy or light?

Sprung to mind as I found out tonight that my Onza Ice 2 weighs around 8.2kg as a full build.

Would you say thats light?

Cheers Sam. :)

weigh yourself then re-weigh yourself with the bike, that will work better, as you may have forgot to add spokes, tubes, bolts etc, on park tool scales my pure weighs 8.66kg ^_^

Super Light = 6KG

Light = 7KG

Below Average = 8KG

Yeah sounds about rightwrong.You know nothing :)

really? I would say 8kg is super light, 7kg is ridiculously light, and no one has a bike which weighs 6kg.

and yes 8.2 is light (Y)

Edited by koxxboy14
  • Like 2

Because most peoples bike don't weigh what they claim.

To the OP: You got that weight from adding stuff on tarty? I bet you £50 your bike doesn't actually weigh that if you did.

+1 I did that, then when i got round to actually weighing it it came out a good couple of 100g heavier that the 'quote' id calculated.

The only reliable way to weigh a bike is get a propper bike scale and hang it up. Don't faff around standing on scales twice, its really not that accurate either.

My stock is currently 8.66Kg and can easily save another 2-300g

Edited by J.KYDD

Just weighed the full bike on scales (stood on its own, no input from me) and its 40g heavier than I had worked out.

And I took the weight of my previous bike and subtracted the weight of the old frame and added the weight of the Ice.

(Using all the old components on the Ice)

Was just interested really. You keep seeing people posting their bikes with weights and such and just wanted to see what everyone thought the boundaries were.

i think the weight of a bike is important in terms of liteness if your not very big built or strong so it def makes things alot easier,

my limey 320 is about 8.5kg so not a bad weight i could quite easily get it sub 8kg but i weigh 14 stone,im not fat by any means 5.8tall but work out and ride a road bike so iv got big legs and solid so doesnt realy affect me.

youve also got to consider what type of riding your doing id say 9kg for a tgs street bike is light but strong but a comp bike wants to be a good kg under that where weight is more important than strength.

its all personal preference realy i guess.

See exactly what you mean. Im about 5ft 10", but not largely built. Im plenty strong enough to throw around a 9kg+ bike (My old Python was a perfect example of that :D )

but I can do much bigger things on a lighter bike. Im hoping to enter comps pretty soon, and love to ride natty over street.

My street riding now seems to focus around the more technical lines, not outright size or distance, so I can get away with having lighter components and as a result, a lighter bike, which compliments my riding. I too could almost get sub 8 kg by changing the Tyres alone.

Id say the only sketchy part on the bike now would be my Try-All Forks giggle.gif

id definatly change the forks i had some and they were so flexy compared to trialtechs.

i did have the stickt lites with carbin bars which made my bike alot lighter but just didnt like the feel of it way to light especialy after riding the road bike it also made the bike feel way to light especially with the diference in gearing i just didnt like it so went back to creepy crawlers and much prefer it now.