Wobbly Bottom Bracket Spacer?

bikeperson45

Got a new mech hanger and still had problems, then found that the bashring is wobbly.

Basically, looking at it from above, I spin the cranks and can see the bashring and sprocket wobble from side to side. The cranks don't wobble and are straight and the bottom bracket is still fitted properly with no play. Any solutions/ideas?

They're Middleburn cranks and bash on a trialtech pro bottom bracket. I've taken the crank off and tightened the circly thing on the inside (I'm clearly no expert) and that's done nothing.

Thanks, really need this sorted before Radfest...

Edited by bikeperson45

It kind of looks like your hanger is bent back slightly so the jockey wheel is too close to the sprocket. Undo the bolts on the wheel and see if its sitting right in the dropouts aswell.

Edit: Also the arm that connects on to the hanger looks a steep angle, undo the bolt on that arm on to the hanger then push it closer to the chainstay if you can, you might not be able to, I can't remember if Rolhoff's have a pin on them.

Edited by Milo123

I dont know exactly what it could be, apart from a bent hanger

my axel kept slipping out as 1 prob, but my chain tensioner cought on sometihng spun round, couldn't go any more, something had to give and my chain snapped

so a messed up chain tensioner, snapped chain, and back wheel coming off all beacuse I had a bent derailure hanger :S

because i was out and about that day I got even cycles to bend it back, but it still wasnt right,

what sorted it was a new hanger, 4 liinks less in the chian to make it tight, and it all works perfect

because the hanger was bent, the axell wouldnt stay in, and the tensioner was out of line made the chain snap, had a huge effect on me lol >:/

Thanks for the advice. Went to do what you guys had said but as I was screwing the tensioner off the hanger snapped ridiculously easily, so hopefully the problem is as simple as that. Thanks again.

Edit - updated problem at first post.

Edited by bikeperson45

Got a new mech hanger and still had problems, then found that the bashring is wobbly.

Basically, looking at it from above, I spin the cranks and can see the bashring and sprocket wobble from side to side. The cranks don't wobble and are straight and the bottom bracket is still fitted properly with no play. Any solutions/ideas?

They're Middleburn cranks and bash on a trialtech pro bottom bracket. I've taken the crank off and tightened the circly thing on the inside (I'm clearly no expert) and that's done nothing.

Thanks, really need this sorted before Radfest...

How much is it wobbling by?

Sorry, missed that first time round. It'd guess it moves around 0.5 cm from side to side. The clicking from the hub also seems to be impacted from the difference in chainline as the clicking isn't stable.

I'd find it hard to believe it's a bent BB axle as I haven't had it that long, or I hope anyway.

Thanks for replies

No worries, just trying to get to the bottom of it!

0.5cm sounds very weird, any gaps between the crank arm and the front of the bashring? Is it *actually* 0.5cm? If there's any way to measure it more accurately that would be good, anything up to around 2mm is pretty normal, but more than that there will be something funny somewhere... A video might help actually.

I had this untill recently with my RS7s and so did my mate before me, if the bb is not bent it will simply be where the whole bashguard attaches to the arms, there should be a lockring that tightens to the arm, seems to be a common problem, that has simply worked it's way loose. The bodge it method, required for a quick fix, is carry a hammer + screwdriver with u and slot it into the locking then give it a bash (giggidy) the propper way is take the drive side off and find the right tool ( a freewheel tool of somekind fits, I'll find which one for you in the morning) locktight the f**ker up, trap the tool in a vice and spin the crank arm around on it untill it is as tight as a new-born jewish baby, simples!

how olds the BB? looks a bit bent to me.

Where the crank bolt is seems to be pretty constant - if the BB was bent that'd be oscillating too. I think it's just the bashring getting it's jive on that seems to make the crank and therefore BB look like it's all on the piss.

Does it actually 'wobble' on the crank when you're not spinning it? i.e. does the bashring feel loose? If so, it could well be the lockring mentioned earlier. It's an XTR freewheel tool you need if I remember right.

If not, it looks to me like it's just a bent bashring - have you had it off to check?

Yeah, as said, BB isn't bent :)

Often the spline between the crank and bashring is VERY tight. If you have the tool (sounds like you do) take the crank off, then the lockring off (silver ring with 8 square 'holes' in it), remove the bashguard. Check for any signs of wear.

When re-fitting, get the bashring fitted as far as you can by hand, then put everything chainring side down on a wooden bench. Give the end of the crank arm a good smack with a mallet, keep checking that it's going on straight. Then fit the lockring AFTER it's finished bottoming out.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just taken it all apart and cleaned it up. Tried using the mallet method but there didn't seem to be much difference between what I could with my hands and what I could do with a mallet. Put it back together tight again and it's still exactly the same :(

Going to mess around with it some more, but if anyone's got any other suggestions that'd be great.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

Just taken it all apart and cleaned it up. Tried using the mallet method but there didn't seem to be much difference between what I could with my hands and what I could do with a mallet. Put it back together tight again and it's still exactly the same :(

Going to mess around with it some more, but if anyone's got any other suggestions that'd be great.

Thanks

alright mate asked my mate who fixed mine and works in a bike shop he said its a bb tool of some kind he uses but didn't know the name(durff durff)if you take the drive side off can you move the bashgaurd from side to side without moving the arm?

alright mate asked my mate who fixed mine and works in a bike shop he said its a bb tool of some kind he uses but didn't know the name(durff durff)if you take the drive side off can you move the bashgaurd from side to side without moving the arm?

Wouldn't that still cause it to bend but just in a different postition? Sorry if I'm not getting you :P