Inspired, Nipped And Tucked.

Mark W

So, I decided to try and get my bike riding nicely again and make everything all nice, tight and smooth. Ads made me a new axle for my front hub so I can now use Hope bolts up front (which mean that with an 8mm I can sort out most of my bike) and have a hub that actually spins for more than half a second. Popped a sample un-padded Inspired Pivotal seat on. Switched to 22:15 using the new Trialtech 22t sprocket and Trialtech bashring, and filed my dropouts in a little so I could run it without a tensioner. Also stripped the (haggard) paint off, so here it is now - 9.68kg of loveliness.

bike.jpg

clean.jpg

bars2.jpg

ns.jpg

pedal.jpg

rear.jpg

seat.jpg

And seeing as my bike looks fairly different in these clips (and I get enough grief for 'changing my setup' in videos anyway), here's some clips that probably won't otherwise get used:

Thanks to Ads at TartyBikes and Dave and Jon at Inspired/Trialtech!

yummy yummy yummy your bike looks lovely and i feel like bumming you. *to the tune on that old cereal add* anywaaaaaaaay....

nice bicycle fellow! pip pip.

serious note, i would love that bar stem combo (hope stem?) but it makes gapping (with brakes) so much harder. need to find a decent compromise.

Edited by arw_86

yummy yummy yummy your bike looks lovely and i feel like bumming you. *to the tune on that old cereal add* anywaaaaaaaay....

nice bicycle fellow! pip pip.

serious note, i would love that bar stem combo (hope stem?) but it makes gapping (with brakes) so much harder. need to find a decent compromise.

The Trialtech 90x25 stem seems pretty decent for that. Seems a good in-betweeny length, and 'cos it's not as low as something like the Hope 90x10 it doesn't feel like your bars are scraping along the floor :P

Really Really nice mark. Whats the new inspired bash like?

Good (Y) It's pretty similar to the old Inspired bashring, just with a tweaked design and it's now under the 'Trialtech' banner. Looks cool though (Y)

Makes me want to take my brakes of again. Love the rawness, I'm guessing you are shimming that seat or else its an invisable clamp. Do you know when that 22t sprocket is coming out yet?

No clamp - just araldite! The 22t sprocket itself is already out, it's just part of the Trialtech Sport Screw-On range, so anywhere that deals with Trialtech would be able to stock it (certain places already have it in stock ;)). The bashring should be out in a couple of weeks, I think...

The bash is going to be out at the end of June (or some time in July... they're getting a few drops of product here and there, and my memory sucks). The sprocket's out now though. The Trialtech bash is also big enough to cover the old 23t sprocket, so if you wanted to stick with your 'old' ratio and didn't want to drop to 22t then you can do that too.

Yeah, when they first appeared I wasn't too keen but after seeing them more and more they've sort of grown on me.

I also don't know if my padded seat would clear my tyre any more, hence the filing around the back of the plastic one :P

An inspired thing of beauty. WTF! a hub body that spins freely for half a sec without being laced to a rim. It cannot be using sealed bearings because the rubber sealed part of the hub would cause too much friction to spin freely on the weight of the hub body alone. Im guessing it running on open ceramic bearings. Vimeo video clips were worthy enough for a full length feature video. Your style is kinda slick and stealth tidy.

Edited by Rusevelt

Bike looks cool. I did like it more when it was all black though (I have a soft spot for all black bikes).

2 questions...

What rear hub are you using? I can't quite tell from the pic. It's very quiet.

And what helmet are you using in the video? Pro-tec? I need a new helmet and all the ones I have tried on in my LBS look like mushrooms. I quite like the shape of that one and it doesn't look as bulky on your head then some others do.

Bike looks cool. I did like it more when it was all black though (I have a soft spot for all black bikes).

2 questions...

What rear hub are you using? I can't quite tell from the pic. It's very quiet.

And what helmet are you using in the video? Pro-tec? I need a new helmet and all the ones I have tried on in my LBS look like mushrooms. I quite like the shape of that one and it doesn't look as bulky on your head then some others do.

I've got a King on the rear. Ads gave it some treatment when I got hold of it, and we just tweaked the lube in there 'til it was the right volume. Skipped once or twice recently so it might be time to open it up again, but apart from that it's been really good.

The helmet I'm wearing is the Protec Lasek signature model. You can't get them in this style in the UK any more as they changed the rules for helmet manufacturing, but you can still order them in from places overseas (Ali just ordered one from EmpireBMX over in Austin, in the US). Definitely the nicest feeling skate-style helmet I've worn. The lack of a solid polystyrene inner just makes it really light and comfy.

Rusevelt - think there might be some wires crossed there somewhere! The hub itself is an NS Bikes Rotary 10, but it was basically a bit haggard and the bolts sorta sucked. Ads got the lathe fired up and made a new axle for it so I can now run 'normal' M10 bolts in there, and it also means that my hub spins freely again now whereas before it kept binding. No witchcraft or anything, just a better quality axle making life better (Y)

looks a nice bike, good clips aswell :).

where abouts is that at 38 seconds and also 1.12 ?

they look good spots to ride

0:38 is a weird spot in St.Annes, just south of Blackpool. 1:12 is outside the Welsh Assembly building in Cardiff Bay.

I've got a King on the rear. Ads gave it some treatment when I got hold of it, and we just tweaked the lube in there 'til it was the right volume. Skipped once or twice recently so it might be time to open it up again, but apart from that it's been really good.

The helmet I'm wearing is the Protec Lasek signature model. You can't get them in this style in the UK any more as they changed the rules for helmet manufacturing, but you can still order them in from places overseas (Ali just ordered one from EmpireBMX over in Austin, in the US). Definitely the nicest feeling skate-style helmet I've worn. The lack of a solid polystyrene inner just makes it really light and comfy.

I thought it was a King, but the lack of noise made me unsure :P.

It looks pretty similar to the classic but with smaller areas of polystyrene on the inside, but the actual thinkness of the polystyrene looks the same. Do you or anyone know if the Classic is the same shape and bulkyness (can't think of another word to describe it but i'm sure you know what I mean) as the Lasek signature model but with a solid polystyrene inner?

Nice bike and nice clips dude!

How are you liking a harder gear? Running 20:16 on mine at the moment and want to get ride of the tensioner as they annoy me.

Thanks dude, the clip you put up on FB was cool too. We need to get a ride sorted out ASAP!

Liking the harder gear ratio though. I ran 23:17 for about 9 months or so then recently swapped it to 23:16, then 23:15, then 23:16 again before settling on 22:15. It means I get to run my frame without tensioner, and just generally feels good. Enough power to do pedal-ups and gaps, but it doesn't spin out too soon so you can't get any speed for stuff. Seems like a nice compromise. This is all with 175mm cranks, so I guess if you've got some more stumpy cranks on there you might be better off with something a little lighter.

I thought it was a King, but the lack of noise made me unsure :P.

It looks pretty similar to the classic but with smaller areas of polystyrene on the inside, but the actual thinkness of the polystyrene looks the same. Do you or anyone know if the Classic is the same shape and bulkyness (can't think of another word to describe it but i'm sure you know what I mean) as the Lasek signature model but with a solid polystyrene inner?

The non-Classic style helmet is a little bulkier, and has a different shell. If you can get the slimmer/older style one (without the solid inner) then do it - they're worth hunting down.