Axle Washer Question

JD™

Would've put this in RSQ but Danny/Tom seem to want to get rid of that which is fair enough.

I have a Hope XC hub (I know, far too many engagements...) and I'm getting a bit of an issue with my Marino. It's as if the dropouts material isn't quite thick enough, and a little bit of the axle sticks out on one side meaning the QR tightens against that and not the frame - wobbly wheel central. I sorted it last night by just bodging - a penny between the QR and dropout. Being as I don't want to die though, I wanna put a washer or 2 there instead. What I need to know is what size hole I'll need because I didn't measure and wanna pick them up on my way home.

TL;DR : What's the diameter of a QR axle? 10mm?

Yup. A washer with a 10mm hole will be spot on. You could run it either on the inside or outside of the dropout depending on how much 'play' there is in the frame.

Assuming there's enough movement in the frame, which I think there is, which is preferable? I would assume that inside would be better (no reference to other current thread) because it might take up some of the flex that I might get from the brake normally?

EDIT: and thanks :)

Edited by JD™

Assuming there's enough movement in the frame, which I think there is, which is preferable? I would assume that inside would be better (no reference to other current thread) because it might take up some of the flex that I might get from the brake normally?

In theory neither way is 'better' than the other. With the axle clamped up properly the amount of brake flex would be comparable for each case. Personally if I had to flex the frame out in order to put the washers inside I'd probably run them outside just to reduce the stress going through the seatstays/chainstays. Having said that, having them on the inside will make your life easier when putting the wheel in as they will be positively located on the axle, whereas on the outside they're bound to slip occasionally and need repositioned as you tighten the QR. Inside, definitely inside. Or outside. :D