How Do You Know What You Want / Need

KEEPitSTUPID

Im new to this trials without and engine stuff, but always been around cycling and 2 wheels of some kind, this seems to be the game more about feel than all the other takes on riding, that ive found.

Ive trauled the internet looking for ideas and or graphs or gauges of what you need for your height or style to choose the correct gear.

Like choosing a stem? How do you know its right? Is thee a basic guideline? Is there something i can do or cant do that will tell me its too long or the bikes wrong for me, or could be better? Im lost in the variables, i seen a post somewhere else of someone saying they want smething longer (frame) how do they know that?

Thanks people.

Hmmm . The ideal starting point would be to select your intended style - street , natural , TGS , competition etc and then within that subdiscipline enquire as to what is popular in terms of frame length / geometry , gearing and that all important stem / handlebar combo.

It can be relly helpful ( and fun ! ) to attend a group ride and try out several variants of your chosen type , noting the difference in feel , where the balnce point is and so on . Be sure to checvk out our bike pics thread to get n idea of what the cool kids are rolling on . A world of opportunity lies before you !

Struggling on last few days with getting some basics down, and ive noticed im struggling with silly things like trackstands on my mod, which i know i can do to a decent standard from moto trials and just being around bikes all my life, also hopping on the back wheel or learning to, i feel too on top of the bars, how do i know if the stem handlebar combo is too long for me, im only a short ar*e but i just feel like im loaded allover the front

Long story short, stem handlebar combo help :-) is there some sort of move or shape i can make that gives a vague idea of whether or not im in the right position.

What frame, fork and bar/stem combo are you running (including stackers) and how tall are you?

Front end height is usually related to bottom bracket height, ie. high BB frames usually have a high rise stem to compensate and the length of the stem changes depending on your height and how far you can reach. Sounds to me personally (though I'm no expert) that the stem may be too long so your weights too far over the front making trackstands hard.

What frame, fork and bar/stem combo are you running (including stackers) and how tall are you?

Front end height is usually related to bottom bracket height, ie. high BB frames usually have a high rise stem to compensate and the length of the stem changes depending on your height and how far you can reach. Sounds to me personally (though I'm no expert) that the stem may be too long so your weights too far over the front making trackstands hard.

Right i bought this at a steal so i didnt study details at the time as its just something for me to start out on and get into trials, so this is the best vitals ive got, its a:

- meta 360cc

- Bottom Bracket TCS 68*128mm, dont quite understand what that measurement is,

- seems to be originals so they are : TCS 370mm ISO disc w/steel Steerer tube

Mine has a try all stem that measures around 150mm from back of handlebar bracket to centre of stem bracket onto steerer tube, didnt know where to measure from for an actual.

Going off the picture on the meta website and the original spec, it has a really high stem, so is that bb measurement a high one?

Meta 360 pic and vitals

And im about 5'7" or 8" :lol:

Thanks for the help so far!

Balancing on a motorbike is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than on a pushbike, this is probably your problem.

Agreed, but also bikes ive had in the past ive instantly been able to trackstand with very little movement, i dont know if its the culture change of the totally different geo, like maybe i used to subconciously use the frame and seat between my legs to make adjustments and help to centre myself?

the meta is fairly short like you, so you should get on just fine riding it, have a play with handlebar angle, your weight is usually quite far forward on a trials bike. when you get on the back wheel it starts to make sense why you're in a wierd rolling position though. where abouts in yorkshire are you based?

the meta is fairly short like you, so you should get on just fine riding it, have a play with handlebar angle, your weight is usually quite far forward on a trials bike. when you get on the back wheel it starts to make sense why you're in a wierd rolling position though. where abouts in yorkshire are you based?

I was out today and improved slightly with the back hops, i know what you mean there, and yea its a short wheelbase isnt it, if anything i feel asif i want the bars up and out more, like pictured on that link i left,

And i live just outside of middlesbrough matey, how about you?