Rear Vee

thispartisrequired

I'm building a mod, Zoo! Lynx, thinking of going vee on the back, only ever used the HS-33 in trials.

So

If I get a good quality vee (was thinking an SD-7 with SD-7 lever on Neon adapters), will it be as fast, bitey and locky etc as an oil bled HS?

I know Ali C is gonna be all; vee, vee, vee, to be honest its probably why I'm thinking it that and I'm developing a love for the vee feel specially up front :|

Edited by thispartisrequired

i recently went to my first rear vee ever, i love it, mines the cheapy onza type with cheapy pads, light grind on rim and its sweet, not as wooden feeling as my hs was and seems to give me less arm pump too for sum reason, wierd.

I've just changed over to a Rear v this weekend and wow i love it. Im running an Avid sd7 lever with a Vocal Chord cable, Shimano acera arms and Gusset squealer pads on a smooth rim and its immense more hold than my old disc and lots lots lighter.

On the rear of a mod you'll most likely run into a lot of problems with a rear vee.

Tyre clearance, crank clearance, will the pads align etc.

I've personally tried and failed, when I got the tyre to clear it with different adapters it just "Didn't feel right".

For a 26" or a 24" trials bike I believe that vee's are the perfect brake..

-They offer so much hold compared to a Magura,

-They're much easier to set-up,

-You can tune them to exactly how you want your brake to 'feel' with all of the leverage adjustments on the Avid lever's, the reach control, the spring tension, etc..

-They're so simple to fix if theres ever a problem with them where as with a Magura I always find that my day is over if theres a slight problem with them,

But sadly on a mod they're not great purely because of tyre clearence. For example my Avid Ultimate on my old Zoo Python '05 and my old Echo Team '06 I forced to run my chain extremely tight and have a very bald rear tyre just to try and get a little clearence, and even then the vee's 'cross over' cable between the to calipers must have only cleared the tyre by 1 or 2mm. So unless you find a pair of stupidly long vee brake arm's then a vee isn't really an option on a 20" trials bike.