Chain Tensioner Problems

piperfraz

Hi

I am having problems with my chain tensioners. I have had about 4 pairs in the last 10 days bend, making them useless.

I originally thought that I was fitting them too tight, but I had a bike shop fit a pair, which bent the next morning. Also it is always the one on the the right that bends.

What is going wrong? Are there any alternatives to chain tensioners? I would appreciate any advice you have!

Cheers, Fraser

Since he's talking about pairs I'm assuming we're talking horizontal dropouts and either chain tugs or snail cams.

If you could upload a pic of the setup you're using someone will be able to help.

Do you want a pic of the bike setup, or the ones that have bent (now off my bike).

Or both..?

Edited by piperfraz

Snail cams are great - but - the hole on the T-Pro is too far forward to use them.

With the Onza ones, try and make sure the back plate is as flat as possible. The slot in it should allow the bolt to sit in a straight line. If that fails, give some Gusset Kojak ones a try, they are all made of steel and the threaded bar is 8mm instead of 6mm, much stronger :)

• Like 1

It's because you probably didnt do them up properly, get some snail cams their much better!

The last ones to break were the ones fitted in Dingwall. The guy can't have done it properly.

Snail cams are great - but - the hole on the T-Pro is too far forward to use them.

Which snail cams on Tarty would you recommend?

Edited by piperfraz

That might be so, but I very much doubt they will work on this chap's setup... That chain is VERY stretchy so the wheel is a long way back in the dropouts.

What is this distance? 30mm?

post-5427-0-58100400-1303587060_thumb.jp

'Biggest' snail cams you can get are 27mm.

i used washers when my wheel was too far back?