Practicing Gaps To Front

isitafox

Tomorrow when I go out I'm gonna focus on practicing gaps to front so I'm after a few pointers. I plan on doing it in an unused carpark down the road from me where there is a high kerb (about 7" tall, 2' wide and about 10-12' long) and wondered if there was a certain distance I should be looking at going from or do I just start right next to it to get used to landing on the front wheel and really sending my weight forward?

It's something I've always struggled with as I've never ridden properly with anyone who can do it so can't really watch it first hand. Should I practice first by just lifting my front wheel onto the kerb, shifting my weight over the front and wheelswapping??

I learnt by making the gap small enough to gap to 2 wheels because even that felt weird to me at first then just kept making the gap bigger and bigger till I had to land more over the front of the bike to make the gap.

Don't start too close to it, preload, drop your front wheel so that the bottom of the tyre at least is lower than the surface you are going to land on, commit to the front.

I'm no expert but learnt them not that long ago so remember how I did it.

I would go for something a wee bit higher myself but it will probs do.

Gap to front with a 90 degree turn seems easier for I.

Will give that a try instead, I did have a go this morning but it was far too hot out and I just got exhausted really quickly. Couldn't do anything as my arms and legs just gave up completely so I went home, and I got heckled by some 9yr old girls calling me a show off!

The knack for any front wheel move is 'cocking the stem'

This is what, for me at least, turns a gap to two into a gap to front. You thrust your cock into your stem, and it pushes your weight forwards in a safe way that means you don't overdo it.

It's essential for wheelswap type front-gaps and up to fronts and anywhere in between.