Someone Want To Help Two Beginners Out Please?

Fredm

Hi! First of all, we're sorry for asking what's probably already written somewhere. We found this () which was helpful information, but we've still got some questions:

We're two enthustiastic optimists determit to learn the magic of trial biking. The first thing we want to do is ask some pros about the sport and what would be recommended for us. We've bought nothing yet because quite frankly we're not sure what to get. We've looked at some bikes, OnZa Spyrogyra and OnZa Hitman fits our budgets. What we are looking for is basically a bike fit for our units, i.e. length and weight. And we're absolute beginners so I guess we don't need the hardcore stuff yet. More something to learn the basics and get our interest blooming. I guess the rest (as to choose whether we want a rub-a-dub, rim 26" something with or without a sadel etc.) is about flavour(?)

I can also say that I personally (Fred) am very interested in going off road. Take the bikes into the woods to a few tricks on a log, find a nice stone somewhere to jump off Doing some climbing and jump onto things. But also doing it in a street environment. Like riding off kerbs and benches etc. Mattias is also interested in street.

Fred

weight: 80kg (176 lbs), length: 186 cm (73 inches)

Mattias

weight: 95kg (209 lbs), length: 198 cm (78 inches)

What would you recommend? The more precise you can be the better for us! But remember, we don't really know the terms and slang of trial like you do, so please try to keep it simple :)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

first off i wouldn't buy a new one. its a buyers market for complete bikes at the moment.

check the forums and ebay to get a cheap deal. it may not be the prettiest, and may need some TLC but as soon as you've learnt you'll want a new bike.

i had a 2010 onza zoot from ebay for 4 months, and then upgraded.

if your wanting to do a mix of street and rocks etc id recommend a 20" like an onza t pro. £200 on ebay for a good one.

if your wanting street id go for a 24". like an older onza zoot or similar.

i wouldn't worry about your height etc for choosing a bike. i never did an i'm fine.

hope this helps fellas

Hey guys.

I cant really give you much in the way of advise as I am only just starting out myself really.

However, about the bikes you have mentioned, read this thread......

And as the Hitman looks to be the same spec, just a different frame, you may find the same problem.

I actually do like the spyrogyra to ride(apart from the cracking noise!!), but having never ridden any other trials bikes have nothing to compare it with.

I am sure here will be plenty of people willing to give you better advice on bike choice though.

Thanks for the replies!

if your wanting to do a mix of street and rocks etc id recommend a 20" like an onza t pro. £200 on ebay for a good one.

if your wanting street id go for a 24". like an older onza zoot or similar.

what exactly is the '20"', is it the size of the wheels? I understand there are three diffrent ones: 20", 24" and 26".

In rough, what are the diffrent sizes recommended for and why? I would be very interested in knowing this :)

Yes the size (i.e 20" 24" or 26") is the wheel size. Size and weight does not matter realy, you could be 6ft + and still ride a 20" bike. if you come from riding mountain/road bikes you might be best suited to a 26" (also know as a "stock" bike) if you have ever rode BMX or fancy doing trials with a few BMW kind of moves (spins,hops etc..)you will be better off with 24" Im no expert at all but i think whatever size you buy you will just adapt to it.

I cant comment on those bikes as i ride 24" and no nothing about 26"

What ever you decide im sure you will have loads of fun!

If you want a quick guide to show you the difference between bikes watch the vid here. Also some of the other vids here will help you out with a bit of basic trials knowledge in terms of frames, parts and what each does.

And as above I'd recommend a 2nd hand bike or if you definately want a new 26" bike then look up a MAD Phase 1.1 or 1.2.

Thanks guys! Really helpful replies. I'll check those product video guides when product questions pop up :)

I got interested in a 24" because it seems more all-round.

I guess we got what we needed here! Next step: buy a second hand 24" bike, and get busy!

I'll be around!

Hey guys! I'm Simpson, first of all great posting! Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it unlike many other people on the forum! I use this website a fair ammount, theres a great community of riders on here and its really good to use, bit of my background, I started off on a BMX at 12, started trials at 14 and have ridden on and off for the last 9 years, here my 2 cents worth, obiously other peoples oppions will differ.

If your going out trying to learn "pure" trials, like all the hoppy stuff then a 24" is massivly over rated, I owned this pimp inspired foreplay, owned it for well over a year and loved it, but the problem with it was that it wasn't a "pure" trials bike and it wasn't a BMX.

Basically if I wanted to ride "pure" trials then I wanted a trials bike, and if I wanted to do BMX, then I just wanted my BMX! The bike was good for trials and bmx, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't amazing at either. And especially if you just want to learn trials, I think you will progress much more easily on a trials bike but if you want a bike you can do everything on then a 24" its ideal but if you want to learn just trials, then just get a trials bike! (theres been a huge hype on here since the Inspired came out for everybody getting a 24")

In my opionion seeing as your both over 6 foot and over 12 stone, then your more suited to a 26" (stock) over a 20" (mod), but its still totally personal preference, I'm in the same sort of weight and height as you but I ride mod, I guess its because I started out on a BMX and stocks just feel way too big for me! I cant stand em! Because I cant throw them about and put them where I want them.

Where do you live? If you can, then try to meet some people on here on a ride, just so you can try out there bikes and have a lil play! see what you like, and what you dont!

Thanks Simpson!

I see what you mean! The question for me is whether I want a pure trials bike or not. I will try all three sizes out and see which one suits me best! That you're of same size as us, and recommend a 26" is a good bit of info for us! Especially since you've been doing trials for some time.

We live in Sweden (gothenburg/stockholm). I'll keep an eye out for trials forums and such in the area. I guess in the end, as a first bike the diffrence isn't going to be massive. Which probably means we're going to want to buy a new one eventually which is why we'll buy second hand!

Thanks Simpson!

I see what you mean! The question for me is whether I want a pure trials bike or not. I will try all three sizes out and see which one suits me best! That you're of same size as us, and recommend a 26" is a good bit of info for us! Especially since you've been doing trials for some time.

Because as a general rule, 24s are for bunnyhops, manuals, spins, and some trials

And the seatless 20" and 26s are used more for taps, gaps and sidehops (TGS) and competition riding the more pure trials.