How Do I No What Size My Rims Are

lucas-87

Also the maxis creepy crawler rear tyre is 19"/ 65mm 2.25 inch thats what size i have just taken of the front wheel and i remember my rear tyre was sooo wide compared to my front ??? i'm so confused can anyone please help

Ok lol ive just been and measured them both wheels from bottom of the rim to the top are 16.5 inch and from the edge to edge is 1.25 inch and the tyre that came of the front is 20x2.25 kenda any idea what size rear i need as i'm sure it was fatter ??

DO NOT measure your wheels to find out your tyre size, it will tell you nothing but the wrong size. As you have just said your front wheel has measured out to be 16.5" this is the wheel size, but the wheel is classed with the tyre as well.

For a mod bike the wheel sizes are 20" front and either 20" or 19" rear - more commonly a 19" for the rear.

For a stock the wheel size is 26" front and rear. tyre sizes are normally around 26x2.2 for the front and 26x2.35-2.5

Mods will be around the same widths.

Oh right lol i'm so sorry to be such a pain in the arse i cant understand why the maxxis creepy crawler tyre is "19x2.25 but the front tyre on my bike is "20x2.25 i thought rear tyres were supposed to be much fatter for grip etc or do they look fatter cuz there only a "19 rear wheel ?

Oh right lol i'm so sorry to be such a pain in the arse i cant understand why the maxxis creepy crawler tyre is "19x2.25 but the front tyre on my bike is "20x2.25 i thought rear tyres were supposed to be much fatter for grip etc or do they look fatter cuz there only a "19 rear wheel ?

They sometimes are fatter on the rear, but because the rear rim is 19" the tyre is generally fatter to bring it up to the same size that it would be if the rear rim was a 20". The reason for having a 19" rim is that you can have a lower pressure on the rear without damaging your rim.

Ah right so last question i promise are front and rear tyre on mod bike the same width but diff diameter ?? there for looking fatter on the rear also should i try my front on the rear and if it fits tight is a 20" rear ???

Ah right so last question i promise are front and rear tyre on mod bike the same width but diff diameter ?? there for looking fatter on the rear also should i try my front on the rear and if it fits tight is a 20" rear ???

Has the rear wheel ever been changed?

Is the bike a complete build from new?

What bike is it?

Are you able to upload a picture of the bike?

The diameter purely depends on the rear rim being 19" or 20" as for the widths, it's just down to preference.

hey i'm rebuilding it with all original parts it wont upload pics for some reason but i have just had a thought when i measured both rims they were the same size and if a "20 came of the front rim then will it be a "20 rear to ???

No, the sizing is in inches. imagine how wide a 3.5" tyre would be compared to a 2.5" tyre would, you should measure the rear of your frame at the most narrow point of the frame that the tyre could sit. Measure from the inside of the chainstay to the inside of the left stay.

or why dont you tell us what frame you have and what brake mounts you have and what brake your running ? if your running a rime brake and you tell us what frame it is, then we will be able to tell you if its got 19" wheel brake mounts or 20" :) or why dont you just tell or read the information on the side of you old rear tyre ? and yes, i would see if the front tyre fits on the back, just to confirm thats it is right :)

If the rear tyre looks massive compared to the front, like most mod bikes, then you have a 19" rear wheel.

Like this:

2008-Neon-Conquer-20-Dan-500x377.jpg

Another way to tell is to take both tyres off, and see if the rear one will fit on the front. ;)

but both rims are 16 1/2 inches so I'm guessing there the same size tyre to ? i have ordered a maxxis creepy crawler "19x2.25 if it don't fit I will stretch it lol :P and in the pic you can see that the rear rim is smaller than the front.

ok i have just tried the front on the rear rim and it was mega tight to get on so its deffo a 20 inch rim so next question is will a "19 tyre fit my rim or have a wasted £15 ??? thinking back i'm sure i put my rear tyre on a bmx ?? how stupid am i :P