Getting My Deposit Back On My House..

dann2707

So i'm going to be living at home now next year instead of my booked house.

I have read the terms and conditions of the house and as it says in the picture, it is non refundable. Which is a major ballache - £150 lost just like that :(

Is there any way, at all that I can get it back? Is there something I can say that would make them HAVE to return the deposit? It's a long shot I know but just wondered if anyone has had had a similar experience.

Cheers for any input!

bookingfee.png

Edited by dann2707

I don't read it like that. The booking fee is non refundable, but when you start your tenancy that fee becomes your deposit, which is centrally held, and which is returnable on the completion of your agreement. Best thing to do is initiate the process with the TDPS people who should send you paperwork to enable you to get the money back (subject to there being no damages etc. to recover).

I don't read it like that. The booking fee is non refundable, but when you start your tenancy that fee becomes your deposit, which is centrally held, and which is returnable on the completion of your agreement. Best thing to do is initiate the process with the TDPS people who should send you paperwork to enable you to get the money back (subject to there being no damages etc. to recover).

So you mean I should start the contract?

The first sum that will be deducted from my account is like £1,500 though.

I will probably be better finding someone to take my place.

"booking fees are not refundable"

"your booking fee converts to the deposit"

I read it the same as above, it's now no longer a booking fee and is a deposit. This is most likely because the 3rd party actually receive booking fee from the landlord for doing the service of finding them tenants, and they exchange that for the deposit. Either way, it's not that document you need to look at, it's your tenancy agreement in the part about the deposit.

EDIT: somehow didn't read the first line first time. Tom's right, you've lost your booking fee if you don't actually end up living there. And so you should, the business did a service for you - it's not their fault you changed your mind.

Edited by JD™

Really do appreciate all these comments so again, thanks for that (Y)

Call them up, have a chat. You won't be the first person in this situation and as much as they appreciate the money, they're not over to screw you if you can find a solution that's mutually agreeable :)

I think i'll try that. I was thinking that like, what if someone didn't obtain the grades to pass next year. Surely they must have had a situation like that before.

Would it be in my favour if I told them i'm being kicked out of Uni and not choosing to live somewhere else? Or wouldn't it matter as such. I'm not up for lying but if it helps me get my deposit back so be it.

Edited by dann2707

They wont refund it to you. However, if you can find someone who wants the house and is willing to pay it, they can just pay it back to you. Or what's better is if you sort it out with the estate agents for them to refund you and then the other person pays it straight to them, whoever takes your place will probably prefer that for his peace of mind too.

Damn. She's actually cancelled me already! I didn't ask her to!!

Hello.

I am currently booked into stay in a 5 bedroomed town house with you in September 2011 as I am studying at Sheffield Hallam University.

Circumstances have now changed and I won't actually be able to stay at Park Village. Would I be able to get my deposit back?

Thanks, Dan J Cox

Her reply.

Hi Dan,

We're sorry to hear you wont be living with us at Park Student Village and can confirm your booking has been cancelled.

Unfortunately, your booking fee is none refundable.

Kind regards

Liz Moore

Yeah I know but I thought I would have had to cancel it with a little more formality than that for example giving her my booking reference or something if you get me. Not just a simple email out of nowhere. Anyone could have done that from my account!

I meant that to get a replacement and they pay me termly and I pay for their accomodation. Although not sure how that would work with Student Finance as I get my allowance dependent on how much my accommodation fees are. Seems a lot of messing about. Might just have to give it up as a bad job and forget about it and accept my losses. £150 is a lot of money to me though.

Eh?

You agreed to be living at this place, which has now been cancelled, right?

If you had been there, you'd be paying £XXX a term or month or whatever for YOU to live there. IF you have to find a replacement tenant, then they'll just pay their own accommodation rather than paying you, surely? You may not even have to do that.

Student Finance don't base your loans on the cost of your accommodation, do they? They haven't whenever I've dealt with them. Your Fee Loan will fluctuate a little dependent on how much your uni charges for fees, but the Maintenance Loan will remain pretty the same regardless. I guess that may change slightly if you receive any grants, though I'm not sure so you'd need to check that with them.

Eh?

You agreed to be living at this place, which has now been cancelled, right?

If you had been there, you'd be paying £XXX a term or month or whatever for YOU to live there. IF you have to find a replacement tenant, then they'll just pay their own accommodation rather than paying you, surely? You may not even have to do that.

Student Finance don't base your loans on the cost of your accommodation, do they? They haven't whenever I've dealt with them. Your Fee Loan will fluctuate a little dependent on how much your uni charges for fees, but the Maintenance Loan will remain pretty the same regardless. I guess that may change slightly if you receive any grants, though I'm not sure so you'd need to check that with them.

I understand now, thanks for clearing that up. I'm pretty new to this so it's all hit me like a train. I always rush into stuff before I go ahead with things and it's one of my major downfalls.

I've been told they do base it on accommodation fees from my floormates but this could be true or not true.

I have a feeling if I tell them this though, they will cancel my fee and charge another tenant the deposit?

Edited by dann2707

Luke's right, if you find someone they'll have a new contract with the accomodation so will pay straight to them rather than you. However, even if you do find someone to replace you, it may not even effect your £150, depending on how stingy and by the book they are. Just ask them straight up if you can find someone else to replace you and thus get your £150 back, they may tell you that's not how it works and you can argue but with most things like that your wasting breath.

Edited by Max Quinn

It may be worth a try, but chances are that you won't be seeing that £150 back I'm afraid. It sucks, yes, but if it means you can leave it at that without having to pay rent until you find someone to fill the slot then in the grand scheme of things it could be worse.

Do a few days work for the uni and you'll earn that back (Y)

I was in a similar situation when I switched from Bristol to Plymouth. I'd sorted my accommodation before deciding to switch, so had to cancel that myself. I was lucky enough not to lose a deposit, but didn't have to find anyone to take my place. If I had had to do so, then I'd have been paying rent on the place until someone else was living there. If you got stuck going down that route then £150 would be the least of your worries :P

Count your losses (£150 and a little time), check out the finance situation just to be sure, and life goes on (Y)

Edit; When filling out your finance application they ask how much your uni charges for tuition fees, but not what your accommodation costs. That MAY be slightly different in all the means-tested stuff, but I don't think it is.