Site News: New Members Scrappage

Just to let you all know, at some point in the near future the New Members system will be scrapped and replaced with a 'Sin Bin' style system. This means:

• New members signing up will have full access to the forum*
  • All current pre-members will be given full member status (apart from any who have previously recieved warnings)
  • The New Members forum will closed and we'll attempt to move all the topics into the right places..
  • A new 'Sin Bin' forum will be made.
  • Experienced** members will be able to vote new members into the sin bin.
  • Experienced** members will be able to vote new members back out of the sin bin.

* but be limited to X posts per day. Once they have been a member for X days, they'll be made a full member and no longer be eligable for sin bin votes

** an experienced member just means a member who has been registered for more than X days and has more than X posts.

Why the change?

Well, we have 16,000 pre members, and 6,000 full members - something needs to change!

Looking for suggestions on naming. cos 'sin bin' sounds a bit crap, and general thoughts :)

This is going to be one hell of a risk, the current system works damn well. Although I can see what you mean with the members balance, I can see there being a whole lot of shit posts happening in the very near future... Interesting to see what happens!

the current system works damn well.

I would say it 'works', a bit. Certainly not well, or damn well :P

Reality is that 90% of new members are alright, its the remaining 10% we need to filter out and its unfair to punish that 90% before they've even posted on the forum. Creates a pretty hostile feeling environment from the start.

Anyway, if you see a shit post from a new member, click the sin bin button and their post will be unapproved and they'll be sin binned -simple as that. So it's up to you guys to ensure the forum doesn't fill up with shit posts ;)

EDIT: the other good thing is that new members will be limited to only a few posts per day to start with, so its not like they'll be able to sign up and spam the shit out of the place before someone sin bins them.

• Like 3

Making the job easier for yourself :P

Is clicking a button too much effort for you? You'd prefer I sift through 100 odd registrations per week? I have better things to do thanks, but if you're happy to take on that task then let me know.

I spend far too many hours working on this forum to try and make it better for unappreciative members like you.

• Like 4

So, we 'sin bin' 'em if they do things which would normally lengthen the validation process, such as text talk, etc.?

And can full members be sin binned, for example instead of 5 validation votes, if 5 people think a full member is worthy of going into the sin bin, and then a mod can finalise it to make sure it's valid and the system isn't being abused? Similar to banning, but more of a warning.

Call it, The Void, and every time you 'sin bin' someone, you shall SEND THEM TO THE VOID.

How it would work, an excerpt from my head;

NewMember679: hey guyz i lyk dis form u great i luv trails.

Me: TO THE VOID WITH YOU.

You know it makes sense.

• Like 2

So, we 'sin bin' 'em if they do things which would normally lengthen the validation process, such as text talk, etc.?

And can full members be sin binned, for example instead of 5 validation votes, if 5 people think a full member is worthy of going into the sin bin, and then a mod can finalise it to make sure it's valid and the system isn't being abused? Similar to banning, but more of a warning.

Yep, thats the point, long term members can vote to devalidate/sin bin members. Same as the current system really, but the other way round.

I think the first time someone clicks the 'sin bin' button, the member will get a PM along the lines of 'oops, someone wants to sin bin you for _this_ post. you'd better go and edit it to sort it out before someone else clicks sin bin and you erm, get sin binned'.

Haha, I do like 'the void'.

I think the first time someone clicks the 'BANISH' button, the member will get a PM along the lines of 'oops, someone wants to BANISH you for _this_ post. you'd better go and edit it to sort it out before someone else clicks BANISH and you erm, get BANISHED TO THE VOID FOR ETERNAL DAMNATION.

Can we see if someone's already voted to BANISH sin bin someone?

I spend far too many hours working on this forum to try and make it better for unappreciative members like you.

Told!

Is clicking a button too much effort for you? You'd prefer I sift through 100 odd registrations per week? I have better things to do thanks, but if you're happy to take on that task then let me know.

Indeed it is not, and it is good that such a responsibility falls on standard members so you can spend the time improving things around here.

From what I've gathered moderators do have a lot of rubbish to deal with that is't presented to the forum, so whatever makes this job easier for them and yourself is best.

It would be good if we could still have a section for begginer questions. There's repeated threads poping up everyday in new members. Im all for helping out but I dont want to go into trials chat and scroll through loads of junk I dont want to read >_<

could the "new new members" access trading forums straight away? i think something like a rep system would be better if you needed a score over X (can't anticipate a score without playing around a bit). and if your giving out points or whatever it shouldn't be a point every time someone gives you rep, you should have to get more than 3 rep on a post to get 1 point towards your membership, it'd cut down on whoring points that way too...

It would be good if we could still have a section for begginer questions. There's repeated threads poping up everyday in new members. Im all for helping out but I dont want to go into trials chat and scroll through loads of junk I dont want to read >_<

Ah, yep. Yep. I was going to add a beginners section too, might make it a little less daunting for new members :)

How it would work, an excerpt from my head;

NewMember679: hey guyz i lyk dis form u great i luv trails.

Me: TO THE VOID WITH YOU.

You know it makes sense.

maybe you could have a "text warning" and give the topic writer a day to sort out that post until people start "sin binning" them?

could the "new new members" access trading forums straight away? i think something like a rep system would be better if you needed a score over X (can't anticipate a score without playing around a bit). and if your giving out points or whatever it shouldn't be a point every time someone gives you rep, you should have to get more than 3 rep on a post to get 1 point towards your membership, it'd cut down on whoring points that way too...

i think new members should be allowed to buy, but not sell (selling comes after a certain amount of points etc) because quite a few new members need stuff and this forum is really good for buying second hand parts?

If there is a sin bin, and someone got sin-binned, I think it wouldn't encourage them to improve themselves to get out of there.

It would seem like there isn't any reason to go into a section of the forum like that except if you have been made to go there, which would cause all the posts in there to be variations of 'please let me out of the sin bin' and people with the ability to vote people out might not go in there because there isn't anything to read except for those posts.

What if, instead of a sin bin section of the forum, if you were sin binned, it meant you couldn't post in the classifieds section, possibly the trials chat section, and weren't able to use the status update or show a signature (both areas where people advertise items for sale)?

If there is a sin bin, and someone got sin-binned, I think it wouldn't encourage them to improve themselves to get out of there.

It would seem like there isn't any reason to go into a section of the forum like that except if you have been made to go there, which would cause all the posts in there to be variations of 'please let me out of the sin bin' and people with the ability to vote people out might not go in there because there isn't anything to read except for those posts.

What if, instead of a sin bin section of the forum, if you were sin binned, it meant you couldn't post in the classifieds section, possibly the trials chat section, and weren't able to use the status update or show a signature (both areas where people advertise items for sale)?

Maybe unable to see the "video" section because everyone loves the video section?

i think new members should be allowed to buy, but not sell (selling comes after a certain amount of points etc) because quite a few new members need stuff and this forum is really good for buying second hand parts?

Agree with both these posts, very sensible ideas!

Tom said he is going to build something in so members cant trade straight away!