Top Cap-Bolt Bent?

Kieran Morrison

Hey,

was riding with a few mates tonight and one had to tighten his headset so he took it off then noticed the bolt was spinning but not tightening and the top cap kept moving, so we took it off. The bit that the top cap bolt goes into (the bit in the forks) was sticking up, and bent to one side, so the bolt wouldnt go in and tighten the headset, be pushed at it a bit because we knew it wasnt meant to stick up and it fell down about 1cm and 1/2.

We also heard bits fall out of the bottom and the fors and my mate found about 1/3rd of a thin black circle. Dont know what this is. So I took my top cap off to check if something was meant to be around the bolt, and there is a black thing (alot like what we found) around my bit that the bolt goes into and mine was properly stuck in the forks.

We dont know what caused this to his bike, he just took wanted to tighten his headset. Any help would be appreciated. Also if it helps it was Echo Urban forks

Cheers

sorry if i've misunderstood you here, but how did you manage to loosen the bolt to get the top cap off if the bolt just spun? the threaded section of the star nut may be spinning.

Sorry I meant that it would do that when we tightened it, but it loosened fine. he probably pulled it before he loosened it accidently or something.

LBS in 'doing good job and not charging through the nose' shocker! You don't get that often!

My LBS is so good to me! They gave me my MTB at such a good price and they often give me little repairs for free, helped me alot with my trials bike aswell and ive never paid a penny on that!