Onza Sealed Front Hub. Help!

Carlperkins

Hey all, im building a new wheel, this is only the second time i have done this but this one is much trickier.

I have...

1x 24" rim,

32x halo spokes

1x onza sealed front disc hub.

the problem is... as one side of the hub is bigger in circumference than the other.. i cant put the spokes through the holes on the smaller side because they bottom out on the other side of the hub! the only way i see of doing it is to bend the spokes! which should never have to happen to lace a wheel.

either this is a major design fault in the hub or i am missing something and will look like a pillac when i figure it out?

anyone have any ideas?

cheers Carl.

the only way i see of doing it is to bend the spokes! which should never have to happen to lace a wheel.

You'll have to do it with a hell of a lot of wheels.

The easiest way is if you've got the cardboard core from an old roll of tape or something similar - just gently bend the end of the spoke around that to allow it to curve around and through the spoke hole properly. Alternatively, just find anything else with a nice, gentle curve and do the same. If you don't have anything like that you can do it by hand but it's a lot easier to kink the spokes.

do you actually have to bend the spokes then?

that seems like a bit of an odd thing to have to do i think. surely they cant sell a hub in which you cant put a spoke straight through?

It's basically impossible to lace a wheel without bending the spokes. Think of spokes simply as thick gauge wire- that's all they are. They can take a huge amount of bending before ever showing any kind of issue.

Almost literally every wheel I've ever built I've had to bend the spokes to get it laced.

Not to mention that if you could get the spokes through the hub with no bending you would have to bend them to get them between the other spokes and into the right rim hole

bending is the only way im afraid, i find its easier to put them through the flange and bend them as you push the spoke into the hub if your not to worried about scratches.

and you got it easy 32hole and a 24" rim, lacing a 48hole 20" is a right so and so..... even the spoke key doesn't agree.