Rear Disc Problem

sstein

Hey people, need some advice.

I am running front and rear bb7s, the front is great and gives me all the power i would want. The rear is crap. It only seems to give me any proper power if the rotor and pads are hot at the time, which means if I stop riding for a minute or more, when I start again I need to ride round with the brake on for a while to warm it up again. It is really getting on my nerves and it means I dont have confidence in my bike (which is brand new). If it continues I may have to braze on a maggie mount which I really CBA with.

Anyone have any ideas why it is playing up?

Yeah, well I'm on a 24" bike using a 160mm bb7 on the rear and it works fine!

5008_9c00_420.gif

Have you tried the old, whipping the pads and disc out and cleaning them and then bedding them in again thing?

Or the chuck some wet mud in there and ride down a hill thing?

Edited by Revolver

I'm running stock with 203mm rotors. I have not tried the cleaning because both the pads and rotors are brand new and have only just been bedded in. As I said the power is fine when it is warm so I dont think it has anything to do with the fact that it is cable.

any other ideas

if you insist on running a cable rear disk, try using the stiff 2.0 derrailer cable housing. you can wind that up with two bar spins and the brake still works fine. it's a really stiff housing. also make sure your pads arent contaminated and are hitting flush.

if you insist on running a cable rear disk, try using the stiff 2.0 derrailer cable housing. you can wind that up with two bar spins and the brake still works fine. it's a really stiff housing. also make sure your pads arent contaminated and are hitting flush.

Running a linear slic already.

They are the same thing.

They are NOT the same thing. I have the same brakes on my freeride/skatepark bike and had the same problem with a linear slick cable. Lenosky turned me onto the mech cables. night and day difference. they dont compress like the slick does. Dont ask for advice if you already know all the answers.

Hey people, need some advice.

I am running front and rear bb7s, the front is great and gives me all the power i would want. The rear is crap. It only seems to give me any proper power if the rotor and pads are hot at the time, which means if I stop riding for a minute or more, when I start again I need to ride round with the brake on for a while to warm it up again. It is really getting on my nerves and it means I dont have confidence in my bike (which is brand new). If it continues I may have to braze on a maggie mount which I really CBA with.

Anyone have any ideas why it is playing up?

I struggle to see how cables can affect this. I do not have a problem with power per se, only the power when the brake is cold

I had a bb7 on the back of the triton for a while because I wanted to try DD, it had reasonable bite but zero hold, set up as best as it could be and bedded in, the only time it seemed hold was if it was wet. Gave up and used a maggie, far better :)

edit: I was using gear cable outer to resist the compression and heavy duty gear cable inner (as recommended by alic) to resist the stretch.

Edited by forteh

I'm in the BB7's-just-don't-work-on-the-rear gang.

But - the cable housing could make a difference.

It works when it's hot 'cause it bites more. If you have a stiffer outer cable, more of your lever pulling will go directly to the pivot, rather than being wasted in outer flex. If more of your power goes to the brake, where it's needed, it'll feel easier to pull, which lets you pull it harder for the same amount of effort, which'll result in more power.

Maybe you won't feel the difference if already have a slic, but going from a super shit one to a good one DOES make a difference.

If you can afford it though, hydraulic (read: Hope) all the way, or back to a rim brake ;)

I cant use a hope because the old ones are IS (I run horizontal dropouts so it is not ideal)

Is that a problem specific to your frame? Every rear disk mod out there runs horiz drop outs, as well as the likes of the Yaabaa 1499 (had no probs when I ran a Hope), Koxx Red Sky, Hydroxx etc.

It will work, it is just not ideal as the wheel never seems to be exact which is required for IS mounts, also it means that my mounts need facing. What I tend to notice with most bikes that run hopes on horizontal is that they rub like a bitch (i know people have just not been bothered to set them up properly). I would really just rather not run IS

Edited by sstein

Well fair enough... Though it was never an isue with mine, as long as the snailcams/tensioning system are adjusted the same, the wheel will be straight and it will work well and not rub.

Cams might make it easier, unfortunately I run a bit of a weird system. I run a single tug on the drive side as well as a 74 kingz (my chainstays are too long to begin with, I dont want to have to pull the wheel back really far in the dropout as well) and on the disc side I don't run a tensioner at all, so it is more a system of doing it by eye.