Side Hops Help!

gary-mac

Help needed, near pulling my hair out! 38inch noproblem straight to back wheel, 7pallets side hop is ok. So thought I'd try 43-44 inch wall. Problem is I always try to use the front to lift the back up when I get to this hight, couldn't get the wall, so close but yet so far!! I want to land on both wheels at same time with out using front. I can't seem to lift my knees up high enough, I can do 40inch nicely landing on a wall but any higher I seem to lose myway. Is there any techniques on the preload side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Try landing both wheeled on some smaller walls first. I find jumping up the wall without the bike first helps to limber up my legs to tuck higher smile.gif

cool i'll try that jumping up first. Am landing on both wheels at 40 inch but as soon as i go over that i start to use front end which does my head in!!!

cheers bud

Help needed, near pulling my hair out! 38inch noproblem straight to back wheel, 7pallets side hop is ok. So thought I'd try 43-44 inch wall. Problem is I always try to use the front to lift the back up when I get to this hight, couldn't get the wall, so close but yet so far!! I want to land on both wheels at same time with out using front. I can't seem to lift my knees up high enough, I can do 40inch nicely landing on a wall but any higher I seem to lose myway. Is there any techniques on the preload side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Try a little stretching. you might be reaching your body's limit right now, more practice and conditioning might help. really concentrate on exploding off your front foot when you jump. then tuck as hard as you can. you'll go higher the more you condition your body to jumping. hope that helps

JJ

Try a little stretching. you might be reaching your body's limit right now, more practice and conditioning might help. really concentrate on exploding off your front foot when you jump. then tuck as hard as you can. you'll go higher the more you condition your body to jumping. hope that helps

JJ

thanks dude thats good advice!! i'll def need to work on the exploding side of things!! will put this in action through the week.

cool i'll try that jumping up first. Am landing on both wheels at 40 inch but as soon as i go over that i start to use front end which does my head in!!!

cheers bud

Exactly the same as me , but i start using it at about 38ish....

Can't seem to get over it, and im really convinced its holding me back?

Exactly the same as me , but i start using it at about 38ish....

Can't seem to get over it, and im really convinced its holding me back?

Yeah I agree its holding me back also, only been at it properly for 3.5month but really trying to pile it in. Maybe am just getting ahead of myself. Would like to watch someone good in person so I could try pick up some tips. Don't understand how some riders are pumping out 60inch, just mad.

Edited by gary-mac

I don't really pivot, I tap the front wheel to bring the rear up,kinda like a frenchie.... Haha sorry to thread hijack Gary :)

lol noprob we all have to learn!! cheers ali thats one thing i've been trying when learning 40inch and it works a treat, only stared to try this when i watched a vid of yourself doing brakeless. maybe i need to grow a set and give it the welly!!! will take a video and post it up next wkend. see what you think.

nice video alex!! you can fair ride a bike thats for sure, one of your side hops you used the front to help the back up, this is what i'm kind of doing, more of a tap though.

i use my front wheel slightly..so i stop using the front brake. really throw your knees in to your face on the tuck .It helps ALOT

Yeah really going to try hard to master this! Will try tuck a lot harder as I don't do it really, think its also a confidence thing aswell.

Gary out of intrest. How long you been riding for?

Properly 3:5 months.

Messed about when younger with montys for years so I did no the basics but never really tried to be good at it. Prob to late to get any good now but I'll try lol. 11years since I had a mod and 6years since I had a stock.

Properly 3:5 months.

Messed about when younger with montys for years so I did no the basics but never really tried to be good at it. Prob to late to get any good now but I'll try lol. 11years since I had a mod and 6years since I had a stock.

For that amount of time the size your doing is pretty kick ass!

well went out in the rain and started trying to suss out how the hell to get this side hop . so started off at 35inch and started getting it nice so bumped it up to 39.5 inch and got it perfect afew times. took some film so i could watch it back and see where am going wrong. will try get it uploaded tomorrow. now to start getting up to the 44. this could take awile though as theres alot of perfecting to be done!!!

• 2 weeks later...