Bb7 New Style

sstein

I need some new disc brakes and they need to be cable.

I have had old style BB7s in the past and they were amazing but i have heard one or two people say that the new ones aren't any good.

What do the rest of you think?

(please only post if you have actually used them)

Out of interest.. why does it have to be cable?

and i have a 2010 one its amazing! Cant say one bad thing about it.

Well the front will be run through the steerer (and i don't want to have to bleed a brake every time i grease my headset etc...) and as I am trying to learn barspins and tailwhips i dont want any chance of accidently catching the rear and being caught out.

I have both, and personally i think the old style is better, however i was comparing 203mm rotor (old style) with 185mm rotor (new style), and people do say that the new rotors suck, so that may have an effect.

Edited by Jon Alty

i have a 2010 one , i haven't used an old style, but the 2010 is seriously good great hold and modulation, haven'y had anyproblems with it the only down side it the inside pad adjuster i find i have to use the tool to tighten it because it's to stiff to turn without it. other than that it's perfect

excuse my no mechanical mind...how do you tighten the headset if there's no bolt because the cable is going through where the bolt would be :S

I have both, and personally i think the old style is better, however i was comparing 203mm rotor (old style) with 185mm rotor (new style), and people do say that the new rotors suck, so that may have an effect.

bigger rotor = more power.

Due to like leverage and stuff, if you get me :)

Edited by Laurence--Trials

bigger rotor = more power.

Due to like leverage and stuff, if you get me :)

I know bigger rotor makes a difference :P. I meant that the different style and design of rotor itself of the new rotor vs the old rotor may have an effect, idk about that though so i didnt say it definitely did. Maybe i should have put a full stop as opposed to a comma :\.

Edited by Jon Alty

I always found cable brakes feel pretty crap when run through the steerer as there are usually pretty tight bends for it to fit. I have a hope with the hose down my steerer and I have taken the stem on and off a few times without having to re-bleed.

I always found cable brakes feel pretty crap when run through the steerer as there are usually pretty tight bends for it to fit. I have a hope with the hose down my steerer and I have taken the stem on and off a few times without having to re-bleed.

What do you mean by taken your stem off? surely it wont come off without having to brake the hose?

Also fitting a hydro in the first place is a bit of hassle

What do you mean by taken your stem off? surely it wont come off without having to brake the hose?

Also fitting a hydro in the first place is a bit of hassle

yeah, when I took my stem off I took the hose off the brake and didn't need to re-bleed. Setting up a hydro through the steerer is the same hassle as cable.