Collateral Damage; Wikileaks.

Ryan Trott

Wikileaks is all over reddit and I really don't have a clue what it's all about. I feel outdated, like me trying to use the HSBC machine that doesn't require talking to a person, the other day

Can someone summarise what the hell it's all about in one or two sentences?

Wikileaks is far more than just that.

They leak all manner of documents, the Iraq war was just a tiny amount of it. They leaks cables and other communications between embassies, individuals and organisations. I read an interesting leak about China's nuclear advancement that they're keeping heavily under wraps. Interesting stuff.

So yeah the war is just one part of it, but Wikileaks are exposing governments worldwide and showing just what little tinkers they are. This is why Assange has been hunted down and large companies has been stopped from dealing with them; PayPal, Amazon, Visa and more were used by Wikileaks (for hosting and accepting donations, mainly) but they've (obviously because of government pressure) stopped, to certain extents, dealing with them.

It's basically the biggest mass-exposure of worldwide corruption and other secret things that the government would rather you didn't know.

Mate, watch the video; they're so clearly unarmed. If they were armed I really doubt they'd be standing there so casually.

Also, when the shooting starts, at one point one laughs and there is banter. Also, afterwards when they found out they shot at children, the reaction was 'oh well.'

If you spent some time and go through some of the documents it becomes obvious there not mistakes.

At least our troops dont do that! I hope lol.

The problem seemed to be the rules of engagement (back then). 'If you feel threatened' is a *bit* vague. I can understand why they felt threatened by people looking at them if they were carrying weapons, but if a massive guy looks at you in the street, your first impression isn't to shoot him with the gun you're carrying.

Im not getting involved in this lol. I can't really imagine what its like to be in Iraq back then so I can't talk

Mate, watch the video; they're so clearly unarmed. If they were armed I really doubt they'd be standing there so casually.

Also, when the shooting starts, at one point one laughs and there is banter. Also, afterwards when they found out they shot at children, the reaction was 'oh well.'

If you spent some time and go through some of the documents it becomes obvious there not mistakes.

Go to about 2:00 into the UNEDITED video, you can clearly see several of them carrying AK-47s. The reason they are standing around casually is because the Apache is probably hovering miles away out of sight.

I can only imagine the edited video conveniently skips over these details to portray the pilot and gunner in as bad a light as possible.

The Reuters reporters will have understood the risk of meeting militia and it's unfortunate that in this case they got caught up in the fighting.

The firing on the guys collecting the bodies is a more dubious matter sure, but they are still obviously associated with the militia and bringing your kids to a scene of death and such obvious danger is just crazy

• Like 1

Wikileaks is far more than just that.

So yeah the war is just one part of it, but Wikileaks are exposing governments worldwide and showing just what little tinkers they are. This is why Assange has been hunted down and large companies has been stopped from dealing with them; PayPal, Amazon, Visa and more were used by Wikileaks (for hosting and accepting donations, mainly) but they've (obviously because of Central Bank, Oil company and Large Corporation pressure) stopped, to certain extents, dealing with them.

It's basically the biggest mass-exposure of worldwide corruption and other secret things that the government would rather you didn't know.

Mended

At least our troops dont do that! I hope lol.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Go to about 2:00 into the UNEDITED video, you can clearly see several of them carrying AK-47s. The reason they are standing around casually is because the Apache is probably hovering miles away out of sight.

I can only imagine the edited video conveniently skips over these details to portray the pilot and gunner in as bad a light as possible.

The Reuters reporters will have understood the risk of meeting militia and it's unfortunate that in this case they got caught up in the fighting.

The firing on the guys collecting the bodies is a more dubious matter sure, but they are still obviously associated with the militia and bringing your kids to a scene of death and such obvious danger is just crazy

It seems mental but they may have been just trying to help.

Edited by Matt Vandart

+1 Unless I'm mistaken, the sound of the 30mm and when it hits clearly shows they aren't hovering close....

'Fighting' is one word for it I guess. The fact the pilots lied about being fired upon, and the US military then lied about the circumstances of what happened AND then tried to suppress the video would sort of suggest that they knew that what they were doing wasn't exactly right. I'd hope that the way that they acted in that instance didn't reflect how they act in the majority of instances. I can understand having to make snap judgements and decisions on what's a target or not, but there didn't seem to be much of that in that video, e.g. "All you gotta do is pick up a weapon". It seemed like they were using any excuse to have to fire rather than finding an actual reason to, e.g. the Agence France-Presse reporter saying that "It looked like American helicopters were firing against any gathering in the area, because when I got out of my car and started taking pictures, people gathered and an American helicopter fired a few rounds."