Motor Trials

robintrial

they are manual, yes you can shift during a ride. Clutch is the left hand lever and the gear change is down by your left foot.

yeah i get that part but like riding big hill climbs ?

do you need to start in a higher gear

the shifter is a long way from your foot so how does that works then ?

thanks

the shifter isn't that far, for hill climbs you could start in 2nd or 3rd and build up the revs before going, I am sure you could still change gear depending on the climb though (I was never any good on my mototrials bike).

If your wanting to do a big hill climb you'll always start in a high gear, i would use 4th to start with on the gasgas. How its done is a term called slipping the clutch, high revs and gradually letting the clutch out and this will continue through the duration of the hill if you were to lose alittle power just in with the clutch and give it the welly and slip the clutch again.

Massive steps where the splat technique is needed you would chose 3rd and hold the throttle flat out till you think the piston is going to come out the cyclinder , trials riders know what i mean by that!! and drop the clutch using your body to compress and lift.

If your wanting to do a big hill climb you'll always start in a high gear, i would use 4th to start with on the gasgas. How its done is a term called slipping the clutch, high revs and gradually letting the clutch out and this will continue through the duration of the hill if you were to lose alittle power just in with the clutch and give it the welly and slip the clutch again.

Massive steps where the splat technique is needed you would chose 3rd and hold the throttle flat out till you think the piston is going to come out the cyclinder , trials riders know what i mean by that!! and drop the clutch using your body to compress and lift.

but don't you need to in a high rpm to start in 4th gear.

(supose 5th and 6th gear isn't used that much)

just thought they were semi-auto just for your own comfort :lol:

thanks

but don't you need to in a high rpm to start in 4th gear.

(supose 5th and 6th gear isn't used that much)

just thought they were semi-auto just for your own comfort :lol:

thanks

comfort lol this is trials we're talking about here!! start in forth rev the bike medium throttle and slip the clutch like i explained thats how its done t get started. motorcycle trials has a lot of skill and timing involved. best not think about it to much bud, if you had a bike and where to get a days coaching by a semi pro/or pro you would soon realise (Y)

comfort lol this is trials we're talking about here!! start in forth rev the bike medium throttle and slip the clutch like i explained thats how its done t get started. motorcycle trials has a lot of skill and timing involved. best not think about it to much bud, if you had a bike and where to get a days coaching by a semi pro/or pro you would soon realise (Y)

yeah would like to ride a mototrial bike one day but i'm not sure if i could do it :$

but for now i'm gonna stick with my bike and supermoto (Y)

if i get older i will lern moto trials i hope

thanks

motorcycle trials has a lot of skill and timing involved

Yes i was about to say im guessing theres a lot of work with the clutch to avoid you doing wheelies all the time or is it due to the fact that the engine idles so slow to help? I once had a pit bike and the clutch on that was a bit fearce, maybe it was just me not ehhh "catching it on the bite" :giggle:

Yes i was about to say im guessing theres a lot of work with the clutch to avoid you doing wheelies all the time or is it due to the fact that the engine idles so slow to help? I once had a pit bike and the clutch on that was a bit fearce, maybe it was just me not ehhh "catching it on the bite" :giggle:

It can be used to avoid wheelies, But if you get one going use the rear brake to get it down, The Clutch is a major part though, It should be used most of the time, I no on mine I'm always using the clutch for everything , You'd be suprised as how big a part the clutch plays on a trials bike, As Gary Mac will very much tell you!

Edited by Ben H!

I'd go as far as saying clutch control was the most important aspect, for lower level riding anyway, with turns on inverse cambers on slippery hills etc...

That's the most fun, on a big type section, keeping the engine really screaming & just feathering the clutch to control acceleration. Keeping that momentum.

I rode motorbike trials for quite a few years before bike trials, probably about 6-7 years. I progressed qutie a bit from a "noob" to an intermediate level, come top 3 on the yellow route at trials if that means anything to you. I found that as i got better i had to use the clutch more often. Bigger sections with steeper hills and bigger rocks require more slipping of the clutch to get momentum and power and also alot feathering on tight turns and streams and stuff. Also alot of varied clutch techniques on harder clubs/section such as tight turns up to a big hill or big rock or a big rock straight up to another big rock.

I dont mean that to sound like im having a go by the way!

yh... u said you ride supermoto... so its the same gears obviously but instead of going through te box again and again you normally pick a gear for that part of the section and stick with it unless you run out of revvs on hill climbs or change your mind... but the gear lever is further awat on trials bikes to prevent the change of gears by accident whilst in the section. And yeah 5th and 6th are only really used for getting from section to section XD hope this sorted it some more xx

yh... u said you ride supermoto... so its the same gears obviously but instead of going through te box again and again you normally pick a gear for that part of the section and stick with it unless you run out of revvs on hill climbs or change your mind... but the gear lever is further awat on trials bikes to prevent the change of gears by accident whilst in the section. And yeah 5th and 6th are only really used for getting from section to section XD hope this sorted it some more xx

thanks mate,

this realy helps so it's just the same like every other manual :lol:

robin

What supermoto you got? Use the clutch on mototrials the same as when you are backing it into a corner, you just don't use front brake and bang it down the gears.

it's an aprilia sx 125 (sx50 just for fun and a sxv 450 for next year :D )

so use the throttle and cluch stil sound hard to do

respect to all moto trial guys

robin