What Are Front Free Wheels And What Are The Benefits?

bike_dummie

hi,

i have only just recently heard of front free wheels :$

Are they any good?

what are the benefits?

And if possible could you post a of a pic of one?

thanks Adam :S :S :S :S :S :S

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/complete_freewheels/c16.html

a lot of freewheels photos are here :giggle:

and one of the best freewheels now is echo SL 108 click (Y)

hi,

I looked at the other forum but it kinda confused me will i be able to put it on a stock and could i just copy the set up of that mod?

one more thing would i use a normal free wheel such as the link below?

http://www.tartybike.../c16p10864.html

Freewheels fit on to threaded cranks and threaded hubs, this allows you to either run a freewheel on your cranks or on your rear wheel on both 20" (mod) and 26" (stock)

If you want a freewheel on the hub then your cranks will have a bashring and screw-on (threaded) sprocket (cog). if you want to run a freewheel on your cranks, then your cranks will have a bashring and freewheel and your hub will have a screw-on (threaded) sprocket (cog).

generally the set up of a stock and mod can be identical part wise if using a freewheel. The one thing to take note of is the gear ratio, a mod will have around a 12tooth sprocket on the hub and a 18tooth freewheel on the crank arm. A stock will have the same 18tooth freewheel on the crank arm but will have a bigger sprocket on the hub, something like a 15tooth up to around a 17tooth.

All freewheels you will notice come in a 18tooth only. You can run this on the rear hub, but you will need to work out what ratio you like so you can get the correct sprocket size for the crank arm. You also can use cranks that are not threaded if you use a freewheel on the rear hub or even use a free hub on the rear (such as Hope pro 2 or Chris King). Cranks that you'll find that suitable for trials but are not threaded are brands like Middleburn, Truvativ, and other brands.

i could tell you the specs but i wont be able to get pics until tomorrow

the crankset is - truvativ hussefelt

rear wheel is mavic not sure what one but it has shimano deore lx hubs

frame is a diamond back t1

before anyone mentions the crappy parts i know i got it cheap on ebay (N)

if you need any more specs just ask :)

Thanks, Adam

Reading the link with the discussion about freewheels vs free hubs, will give you a pretty good idea of the differences and benefits of a freewheel.

If you were considering getting one at some point, you have a few things to consider first:

What is your style of riding (bunny hops and fast paced or slow and technical) You don't really want a freewheel on your crank arm if your riding at speed and doing bunny hops as your chain is constantly moving when your rear wheel is spinning.

Is it worth the cost? you have truvativ cranks, so all you need to do to improve your ride is replace th rear wheel with a trials rim and trials hub such as hope pro 2 or chris king.

Right then, if you want to switch to a front freewheel you'll have to change the rear hub and cranks (I'd also recommend getting a new bottom bracket if you haven't already got an ISIS one) and get a singlespeed chain tensioner (again if you haven't already got one).

Personally I'd recommend it as I found it a lot easier to work with than when I ran a freehub. A lot of people will argue that a freehub is better but they're talking about Chris King and Profile hubs which cost hundreds of pounds.

If you do decide to go for a FFW setup then yes definately buy the Echo SL, besides if you upgrade you can always carry it across to another frame should you decide to change whereas a Mavic rim may be a bit narrow to run rim brakes on more modern trials frames.

Hope this helps you!

EDIT: Forgot bout Pro 2's!

Edited by isitafox

If i do change over what hub will i need ( fixed hub or a free hub)

Last question how will the free wheel attach to the crankset

sorry for the stupid questions

Adam

Fixed hub, and the freewheel screws onto the cranks as they are threaded. Don't forget you'll also need a bashring!

I belive that somebody should create a Sticky about freewheels and freehubs. Just like we have for brake pads. As now we have a fairly wide choice of ffw's on the market i think it would make a bit of sense?

there was that thread i posted just before that has been and past....

the sticky would end up saying something like this:

ffw - if you can afford it, get an echo sl....if you cant, save for one

freehub - chrisking, profile or hope pro2

other than what was already discussed in that thread and numerous other times...what else is there to point out?

Maintanence tips, experiences with said equipment things of that nature. And also riders dont have to create a new thread everytime to find out about FFW's and Freehubs. Because some people on this forum get sarky and tell them to "use the search bar before posting topics". Its less hassle for all concearned.

i could tell you the specs but i wont be able to get pics until tomorrow

the crankset is - truvativ hussefelt

rear wheel is mavic not sure what one but it has shimano deore lx hubs

frame is a diamond back t1

before anyone mentions the crappy parts i know i got it cheap on ebay (N)

if you need any more specs just ask :)

Thanks, Adam

Ummm....Guys

the Truvativ Husselfelt crank set is a 22 tooth mtb style crank set, with the chainring bolted on. For this guy to run a FFW he would have ro replace cranks, hub, rear sprocket, freewheel and bottom bracket >_< The Truvative uses their own type of BB interface, so it isn't compatible with ISIS.

Sorry mate, but to move to FFW you are looking at £150+

James

• Like 1

I am thinking of getting a set of Atomz / UN Elitis ISIS cranks (170mm if this helps or will i need 175mm whats best for a stock?) and a echo sl free wheel setup up front will this work ??

cranks

This is fine. You will also need a bottom bracket as well mate. And a new rear cog and rear hub.

But good luck with it all

James