Trialtech Sport 108 Ff Vs V!z 75

SamKidney

Trialtech sport 108 vs V!Z 75   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best? e.g reliable, good pick up, no skipping ect.

• Trialtech sport 108
    • v!z 75 click
    • Tensile 96 click

Right,

Tonight my cranks and Bottom bracket died on me (should have upgraded to isis sooner) and am now looking at new cranks, bottom bracket and freewheels.

I've made up my mind on cranks and BB, but cant choose which freewheel to get. I would buy the Echo SL but wont be able to afford one due to amount of cash available.

So it's down to three options;

Trialtech Sport 108

v!z 75 click.

Tensile 96 click

Would like your opinions on these three as need to buy over xmas,

Cheers

Unfortunately, there's not really a TR freewheel any more - Echo have made the SL freewheel the TR, and made the Ti freewheel the SL. So yeah, they don't make the 72 click version any more...

Ive got one brand new out of the packet :o

Is there anything wrong with them?

If you can't afford the Echo right now then just save up for one. You might regret not getting one.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with the 72 click, it's just been discontinued because Echo don't see any point in having a 72, 108 and a Ti.

Edited by Greetings

Unfortunately, there's not really a TR freewheel any more - Echo have made the SL freewheel the TR, and made the Ti freewheel the SL. So yeah, they don't make the 72 click version any more...

Shame, but I guess it makes sense.

Ive got one brand new out of the packet :o

Is there anything wrong with them?

Yes they are utterly rubbish, which is why I just recommended one over every other freewheel on the market bar the SL :ermm:

The Viz is alright, wont last forever but good.

I'm a bit unsure of tensile freewheels, they work well when they are working, but annihilate themselves when they go wrong.

I have to say i have never had one bust at the wrong moment to be sure, they have always busted whilst going along.

This is probably to do with the lockring which you are meant to keep tight.

How exactly?

Thats what I wanna know.

i dont know about the viz never had one / tensile 96 click is well strong if you keep the ring tight,it is the longest lasting frewheel i have had and still have as a spaire, went to a trial tech 108.9 also good had for 3 months not gone wrong still sounds good . the echo ones however are absolute s**t paul had a 108 off neil and it self destructed after 1 month he got another off tb and same happened i had one a while ago befor the 108 think it was about 80ish cant remeber anyway that lasted 4 days echo freewhels = DEATH

right, its down to either the Echo SL or the Trialtech now. Echo sl will only be bought if money is available, so is the trialtech worth the money?

i dont know about the viz never had one / tensile 96 click is well strong if you keep the ring tight,it is the longest lasting frewheel i have had and still have as a spaire, went to a trial tech 108.9 also good had for 3 months not gone wrong still sounds good . the echo ones however are absolute s**t paul had a 108 off neil and it self destructed after 1 month he got another off tb and same happened i had one a while ago befor the 108 think it was about 80ish cant remeber anyway that lasted 4 days echo freewhels = DEATH

did he give the freewheel enough time to bed in? I open mine up and flush them out with a light oil and close em again to remove any grease

i don't know about the viz never had one / tensile 96 click is well strong if you keep the ring tight,it is the longest lasting freewheel i have had and still have as a spare, went to a trial tech 108.9 also good had for 3 months not gone wrong still sounds good . the echo ones however are absolute s**t paul had a 108 off neil and it self destructed after 1 month he got another off tb and same happened i had one a while ago before the 108 think it was about 80ish cant remember anyway that lasted 4 days echo freewheels = DEATH

Have you got any photos of that broken SL freewheel because another forum member (monty221ti) posted an SL topic here a while back that he also had broken the outer shell of his SL under normal riding use. He posted a photo on his facebook but for some reason it was unavailable to view but he saw my broken SL photo and said his SL cracked in the very same way the only difference being that he didn't damage sprocket tooth like i did, the whole shell just cracked under riding.

I have had all of them, the V!z skipped stupidly, got the TT now and its sh*t, and two Tensiles constantly fooked up on me. I don't recommend any, but having been on various peoples TR/SLs I'd say get one of those!

Edited by onza limey20

at the minute am using tensile 96 click and so far its been awesome!! not missed, lovely sound and seems solid. Used 2trialtech freewheels and one skipped alot but the other was great so its

a hit or a miss really. I now have a echo sl but won't be using that till the 96click gives up which might be some time yet!!

My SL lasted a hell of a lot longer than any of my Tensile freewheels. I don't really understand how Paul managed to have two freewheels that broke in that we've sold a lot of them and we've only had one or two sent back because they've broken. We haven't had any sent back with broken pawls or broken springs whereas we have with almost every other freewheel we stock. Everyone here uses SLs and none of us have broken them yet, or had any sort of problems at all.

Well guys ut looks like I'l be buying an Echo SL once i have the money! Strangely enough I've worked out that after buying all my other parts that I need, I'd be 60 quid short anyways, the price of the SL!

My Tensile 60 will be good enough for now, just to keep me going. By the way, to sav opening another thread;

What are peoples opinions on Trialtech Isis 170mm cranks? These are the cranks I may be getting.

Will go for Echo TRs if these are crap but I want as little Echo parts as possible! Much love for Trialtech :lol:

My SL lasted a hell of a lot longer than any of my Tensile freewheels. I don't really understand how Paul managed to have two freewheels that broke in that we've sold a lot of them and we've only had one or two sent back because they've broken. We haven't had any sent back with broken pawls or broken springs whereas we have with almost every other freewheel we stock. Everyone here uses SLs and none of us have broken them yet, or had any sort of problems at all.

I'm not sure how I got though 2 either really, they were both fine at first but slowly deteriorated and needed new pawls in all, and a cracked lock ring.

I was told somewhere that i may have got mine from a bad batch made, i think it was someone from supercycles who told me, but that may have something to do with it.

someone from supercycles who told me

How nice of them.

That batch didn't make it out of the factory so I can't really see how you would've got one of them, unless that was the one from Neil, perhaps? We got sent some photos of some freewheels that went through Echo's QC tests and they'd deformed/warped like they were made out of plasticine or something. No heat treatment = no good.

FWIW, all the 96 click freewheels I've had have been fine for a few months, but then started skipping. Because of how fine the ratchet mechanism is on those freewheels, and because of the shape of the pawls being more rounded than other high-engagement freewheels are, it seems like once they've skipped a few times and the pawls get a little worn they just start to do it more and more. Same story as the Eno in many ways - you can get spares for the Eno/Tensile, and you'll most likely need them. There aren't spares available for the TRs/SLs, but it's most likely you won't ever need them. It's pretty weird how your's broke to that extent though, 'cos like I said it's not something I've seen in the past year I've been at TartyBikes. I've literally never seen a freewheel as consistent and durable as Ali's SL was (and still is), and mine, Stan and Adams have been faultless. Same goes for pretty much all the known freewheel killers we've sold them too. There's one guy in particular on OTN who used to plough through other freewheels really quickly but bought an SL on Adam's recommendation and hasn't managed to kill it yet.

How nice of them.

That batch didn't make it out of the factory

Indeed.

And I’ve got pictures of freewheels, this is done by another factory as well. They have missed out the thermal treatment procedure, and you can see the color is abnormal. I have done some rigidity tests, the report looks terrible!

post-5427-0-68410700-1291754407_thumb.jp

post-5427-0-19227500-1291754416_thumb.jp

We are now making everything ourselves, cannot take the risk anymore!!! Our workers are taking 2 shifts and machines are on 24 hours.

...and while we're on that particular subject, just to clarify it - none of those freewheels made it onto the UK market (unless they were bought direct from overseas by a customer) because we didn't receive any of the many freewheels we'd ordered that were due to arrive from that batch because they failed those checks, hence us being out of stock of TRs and SLs for what felt like eternity.

...and while we're on that particular subject, just to clarify it - none of those freewheels made it onto the UK market (unless they were bought direct from overseas by a customer) because we didn't receive any of the many freewheels we'd ordered that were due to arrive from that batch because they failed those checks, hence us being out of stock of TRs and SLs for what felt like eternity.

I see, i must have been wrong as i didn't receive mien from overseas, not sure what is was then, but if i have some spare cash left after christmas i shall buy some spares and see if i can get one working again.

I'm definitely going to so with an SL next time though, simply in order to save most the trouble that most freewheels come tied in with.