Going Down, On A Bike.

Matt Vandart

Ok homies.

After all your wonderful advice in my last technique problem yielded such fast and effective results I am after some on a long standing problem.

That of going down.

I'm not on about dropping off ledges, my 9 year old kid can do that, I on about long technical descents, like a big bank o rocks like sea defenses.

I am pretty good at getting up and along this sort of shit, but when it comes to going down I am not with the program.

I rekon I have had enough of looking stoopid going up shit like this only to walk the bike back down.

By the way I'm on about steep, jagidy random rocks with plenty of chasms to loose your front wheel in, so basically I'm on about 2 wheel hopping down shit, without death, preferably.

Thanks.

I dont understand clearly what you mean.... Rolling down? or going down with pedal kicks.... or just doing a hop down with 2 wheels

if you are afraid of rolldown you just need to train it... my max roll down is only 4 pallets.... you just need to lean back as much as possible....

in pedal kick dropb gap.... you just need to know pedal kick and come to the edge of something lower the front a bit and stop holding the brake for a second and than again hold it....

in 2 wheel hop drop ... its easier to face the drop with your correct foot so if you have left food foward you will drop to the left.... to other side its a bit harder and it doesnt feel that nice but iam also ok with it.... i think there is not much practice about it maybe just trying not drop it hard but soft and nice... and also perdal kick drop gaps might need a bit of practice

A lot of it is picking the line of least resistance/likely death. If you want to roll down on both wheels you need to make sure there's room for your front wheel to roll forward and allow the back down otherwise you're likely to go over the bars or lose the front end in a chasm of death. It's better to build up the confidence and go down controlled on the back wheel in stages, caefully placing each wheel on take off and landing. Failing that the next best option is to go down sideways either backwheel then front wheel or together in a sidehop down type thing... Final option is to go down backwards. May sound weird but on a big slab or steep slope if you have both wheels on the ground and inch down backwards you can keep your weight over the front and trust the rear tyre to do the gripping. Experiment and see how you feel.

I'm talking about going down, a 'section' of rocks, which are not big enough drops to hop down on the back wheel, and too bumpy/jaggedy/chasmy to just roll down.

So you gotta go 2 wheels but hoppy and abit of rowlly as well I spose between the hoppy bits.

It's sort of an extension of my last problem of hopping to back wheel WITHOUT the use of pedal power, only you are now going down, on a steep rocky slope (which cant be rolled down).

Shit like this:

burryport006.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(That is steeper than it looks in this pic. by the way)

The reason that natural is good is that there's so many random situations that aren't replicated anywhere else. Because of that, asking a hypothetical question about a hypothetical line that you're hypothetically riding doesn't really work. Part of the skill of riding natural is picking out the best line possible, and by doing that you can usually avoid having to get into situations that you can't get out of. Equally, for natural riding you can often use the shapes and weird clefts/rises in rocks to your advantage. Just go out and ride stuff like that - practise is the only way to improve, especially in specific sort of things like this. The only real advice to give is to pick a line and work out the best way possible - the techniques you'll need to employ massively depend on the specific terrain and how you're planning on riding it. You can only get better at doing that by practising it.

EDIT: And as I alluded to in the last thread, there are a lot of situations where you think you might not be able to use pedal power whereas realistically you can, as long as you focus on lifting your bike, rather than trying to just kick...

I suggest thinking about using the front wheel as a sort of 'crash pad' rather than a wheel: when you hop forwards, your front wheel will take a massive impact on the rock below which will make you cringe everytime.

Next time youre near caswell in swansea matt (ok, big ask I know lol) try it there. The rock section there isn't quite as intimidating. Riding a stock helps too... :P

Confidence and purpose in what you do is another key thing. If you're pussying about, you're more likely to fall off. Confidence and committing is pretty important.

I'm not one for quoting statements in my signature , but if I were , this would be a prime candidate .

lol what random replys.. when ur going down you just need to use the edges and lips to hold you rather than a sloppy part of the rock which gives no grip.. some times you need to use ur front wheel asa stopper and some times its rear...

Ok homies.

After all your wonderful advice in my last technique problem yielded such fast and effective results I am after some on a long standing problem.

That of going down.

I'm not on about dropping off ledges, my 9 year old kid can do that, I on about long technical descents, like a big bank o rocks like sea defenses.

I am pretty good at getting up and along this sort of shit, but when it comes to going down I am not with the program.

I rekon I have had enough of looking stoopid going up shit like this only to walk the bike back down.

By the way I'm on about steep, jagidy random rocks with plenty of chasms to loose your front wheel in, so basically I'm on about 2 wheel hopping down shit, without death, preferably.

Thanks.

Can you not just come down the same way you went up and along?

Or os that a stupid answer :P:lol: ?

Can you not just come down the same way you went up and along?

Or os that a stupid answer :P:lol: ?

What are you talking about?

Agree with Mark, it totally depends on the rock and conditions. I ride rocks like those all the time, and it depends on the conditions as to how I handle them. The same line is sometimes done forwards, sometimes sideways dependingon how slippy the rock is at the time.

Also look for little flat parts on the rock to aim for, or an ede to hook your front wheel over.

What are you talking about?

Agree with Mark, it totally depends on the rock and conditions. I ride rocks like those all the time, and it depends on the conditions as to how I handle them. The same line is sometimes done forwards, sometimes sideways dependingon how slippy the rock is at the time.

Also look for little flat parts on the rock to aim for, or an ede to hook your front wheel over.

He says he has trouble going down but no trouble going up and along these rocks.

So why cant he go down them the same way he went up?

^thats what im talking about....

He says he has trouble going down but no trouble going up and along these rocks.

So why cant he go down them the same way he went up?

Have you ever ridden a steepish gnarly rock section like he's having trouble with?

instead of leaning way back to 'sit into the frame'

:huh: Care to explain that one a bit more?