Brakeless Trials Tips

Miles Mallinson

The other day i decided to take the brakes off my Ashton Effect which i thought was a good idea. So i started riding without, im really enjoying (so far) it but theres one thing i can't get my head round brakeless pedal kicks, i can pedal up and off drops but can't really hop much i just wanted to know how to do it. I know im gonna fall off the back alot but thats just gonna have to happen.

Heres my Ashton now:

post-25833-0-97150000-1289500234_thumb.j

Edited by Milo123

Yeh, its pretty scary on the back wheel when you never know when your gonna flip back just practice needed.

I ride with brakes (on a mod) but practice brakeless sidehops / pedal ups / kicks all the time knowing I have the brake if its needed. It makes me more confident to start trying these things

When i tried brakeless pedal hops i tried them facing up a slope so i didn't flip back, it seemed to work, then when i was abit more confident i tried them on flat and it helped

That's pretty much the best way I've found. Get used to the feeling on a slope, then move to flat when you're comfortable.

Yeh ive been practicing on a slope and that helps alot cheers, i love how smooth brakeless riding is theres no mucking about on the back wheel for ages which i didn't do anyway so it made sense for me to try brakeless.

I dont really think theres much need to rear wheel hop when riding brakeless anyway, just use like pedal ups to get onto ledges and land on both wheels and keep the front wheel a bit lower when dropping off to prevent looping out. Brakeless sidehops are fun though, when i tried brakeless a while back i found i could sidehop higher and i needed to start with both wheels on the ground and you can just concentrate on the pedal punch to get the hop rather than balancing first and using your back brake.

I dont really think theres much need to rear wheel hop when riding brakeless anyway, just use like pedal ups to get onto ledges and land on both wheels and keep the front wheel a bit lower when dropping off to prevent looping out. Brakeless sidehops are fun though, when i tried brakeless a while back i found i could sidehop higher and i needed to start with both wheels on the ground and you can just concentrate on the pedal punch to get the hop rather than balancing first and using your back brake.

yeh i just wheel drop off stuff, i cannot sidehop with brakes at all but i find it really easy with no brakes, yeh theres not much point trying to pedal kick off stuff it just ruins the flow.

It's useful to learn if you're riding more technical stuff or riding natural. Being able to kick to the edge of a drop then kick off it is super helpful if it's a rough edge to whatever you're going off. It's also a load more controlled, and it means you can carry less speed out of it too - especially useful if you're doing a line of any sort.

Just like with brakes, sidehops from rear are a lot easier to get higher if you're riding brakeless. They take more practise and you're limited as to where/how you can do them, but it's still handy to know how. Being on the back wheel doesn't have to be shit, especially if you do it without correction hops. Some of the sidehops Stan does in this are pretty hefty, and they're with no correction hops too. Doesn't have to kill the flow :)

Cheers, yeh i can kick to the edge of drops pretty well like to 2 wheels which feels alot smoother than on the back apart from off bigger stuff of course, it was suprising how easy i found it to do the same things i did when i had brakes, i ride more natural terrain than street as i live on a small Scottish island which is mainly rocky beaches. I don't really mind being on the back wheel i just kind of prefer to go off stuff on 2 wheels really. Yeh i've seen your video so many times it unreal, thanks for that!