Remind Me Of The Bodge...

JD™

Hi All,

Chucking my ES4 over to singlespeed tonight, just to bring it a little bit more modern. If I like it I'll get myself a proper tensioner, but for now I just want to use my road mech. I seem to remember in t'old days that people removed springs or something to get the mech to stay on the chain line but can't find any info on it. Someone from the old school remind me what I mean?

Cheers (Y)

You need to take the circlip off the back where it bolts onto the frame, then remove the spring from in there.

Bolt it onto the hanger then use a piece of old cable, pull it through until the mech is aligned and tighten it up. If you need any fine adjustments, you can still use the barrel adjuster to help out.

I used to find that I needed to run a washer of appropriate size between the mech and hanger to allow the body of the mech to lock onto something rather than rotate on the narrower diameter centre section which the bolt passes through.

I always just ran the standard washer / backplate that you take off when you remove the circlip. A washer would do the same job though (Y)

Problem number 1: (I'm sure there'll be more)

Stripped the bike down, serviced the rear Hope XC hub (which was absolutely disgustingly dirty, I might add!) and chosen the best sprocket out of my cassette to put on. Started to put my Trialtech singlespeed spacer kit on and it seems a bit... snug. Is that how it's meant to be, or is my freewheel body a bit big for the spacers? In that case, what are my options?

There was, a while ago, a batch of trialtech spacers that were too small to fit onto a driveshell.

It sounds like this is your problem.

It happened to me - it was such a size that it would go onto the very edge, but no further, such that you thought 'I bet a bit of force would get this on.'

If that sounds familiar, contact tartybikes!

There was, a while ago, a batch of trialtech spacers that were too small to fit onto a driveshell.

It sounds like this is your problem.

It happened to me - it was such a size that it would go onto the very edge, but no further, such that you thought 'I bet a bit of force would get this on.'

If that sounds familiar, contact tartybikes!

Yea that sounds very familiar, I'll give them a shout tomorrow. Thanks :)