How Do I Get This Stupidly f**ked Adjuster Screw Out?

Laurence--Trials

Okay i have a adjuster screw on my mini brake, its rounded off and cracked and broken 1/5 of the allen bolt is left and i need to get it though the brass barrel so it can be replaced. i've been fiddling with it for two hours and managed to turn it with various tools (screw drivers, pliers etc.) i dont know how to get the rest though. any ideas?

Number 13 in the pic'

EDIT: i was even trying to just pull it out, just snap all the threads but theres something holding it in, i dont know what it is. I think its the clip-thingy (no. 11 in pic)

Unless threads are really strong.

EDIT2: once i have the lever off how to i take the adjuster screw out?

post-22746-054075700 1288627170_thumb.gi

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Undo the bolt holding the lever blade to the lever body so that the blade is loose. Then hold the push rod (thats the bit you've damaged) with a set of pliars and just turn the lever blade to unscrew it. Then you'll need some circlip pliars to remove the push rod from the lever body.

You need to take out the mini circlip (number 11 on that diagram) its abit of a bugger if I remember rightly, and you will need some pretty small circlip plyers. Just be carefull when pulling it out.

Adam

whats some circlip plyers? and how exactly do i pull it out?

Undo the bolt holding the lever blade to the lever body so that the blade is loose. Then hold the push rod (thats the bit you've damaged) with a set of pliars and just turn the lever blade to unscrew it. Then you'll need some circlip pliars to remove the push rod from the lever body.

Tryed this, cant do it.

whats some circlip plyers? and how exactly do i pull it out?

Circlip Plyers:

knipex-4621a21-90-degree-angled-jaw-circlip-pliers.jpg

How they work:

Knipex-External-Circlip-Application.jpg

Right inside the lever body is a circlip holding the brass washer No.12 and ball ended adjuster screw No.13 in, just take it out carefully and there you have it!

Just to clarify, the circlip image I have posted is a reverse of what's in the lever,

e.g second one along is inside the hope lever:

DSC02424.JPG

Edited by Tom Rigg

Circlip Plyers:

knipex-4621a21-90-degree-angled-jaw-circlip-pliers.jpg

How they work:

Knipex-External-Circlip-Application.jpg

Right inside the lever body is a circlip holding the rubber seal and ball ended adjuster screw in, just take it out carefully and there you have it!

Cheers i dont have any of them though.. i have long noes plyers is the closes i'm getting

EDIT: i win- small screw driver. now what? nothing has come loose? wrong clip, do those two holes have to be pulled together?

Edited by Laurence--Trials