Vee Brake Help

rustybullet

Hey

I'm looking at getting a Avid SD7 vee brake as I no longer can be bothered with the hassles I get with my HS33 (rear). So just got a coulpe questions about them :rolleyes:

Basically all I want to know is will the SD7 work as well as my maggie if I buy it straight off Tarty with a good set of pads? Or would i need to buy a better outer cable etc etc

Also what are they like for maintenance do they need a lot of work to keep them working at the best?

Any other useful info you guys have would be good to know!

Cheers Zac

• 2 weeks later...

This is my opinion but many will agree many wont.

Vees are far superior to maggys.

Maggies started being used more because there were more pads for maggies not because the system itself is better.

This is not a problem now, there are many pads for vee set ups.

My favorite combo is:

Avid SD7 calipers and lever, rockman cnc blue pads.

Other pad choices are there and are as good/better.

Get a good booster, this is what will massively increase you hold, a grind imo, improves bite more than hold (except for in the wet when it is a life saver for hold)

Hey

I'm looking at getting a Avid SD7 vee brake as I no longer can be bothered with the hassles I get with my HS33 (rear). So just got a coulpe questions about them :rolleyes:

Basically all I want to know is will the SD7 work as well as my maggie if I buy it straight off Tarty with a good set of pads? Or would i need to buy a better outer cable etc etc

Also what are they like for maintenance do they need a lot of work to keep them working at the best?

Cheers Zac

I did what you plan to do from Tarty, but for the front end

SD7 vee

FR5 lever (I wish I got the SD7 lever though)

Cable from tarty

These pads

It works great! I got the hard compound as I run a light grind, I could go with a harsher grind but there really is no need as it works amazing as it is.

Lovely bite, sounds and lock.

My only issue was that I didn't lube the inner cable before fitting thus causing shit loads of friction on the inside but Ogre fixed that with his special lube.. :P and now it's well smooth!

cool cheers for the help guys, definitley made my mind up now! :turned:

It says that you ride a mod? If this is the case then it is near impossible to fit a vee on the rear of a mod. I know a few people that have tried (myself included) and no matter what we tried the cable was always catching on the tire.

as some of the other people have said it all depends ive got a v brake on my da bomb at the moment i am awaiting my magura hs 33, i have self made pads on the back which are magura phat pads i think and are onto like v brake backings and i have a sharp grind on the rim and at the moment my brake is working very well and has an extremely good hold

Hey

Cheers Zac