Zoot Pro Full Build

Joe@Onza

If they are to other disks as your vees are to other vees, I'll be quite interested.

You've obviously never ridden a bike with a well set up Avid or Shimano v-brake. The Onza vees are more comparible to super cheap Tektro or Promax brakes..

You've obviously never ridden a bike with a well set up Avid or Shimano v-brake. The Onza vees are more comparible to super cheap Tektro or Promax brakes..

Actually, I ran various combinations of XTR, SD7 and Ultimates for not quite two years.

Actually, I ran various combinations of XTR, SD7 and Ultimates for not quite two years.

And you actually rate them? hhhmm.. I breifly used a set that came off of my mates (either 2007 or 2008) T-pro and found them far flexier than my Avid Ultimate & Avid SD7 calipers, they actually flexed more than my Shimano XT arms (which have the super flexy parallel push system) which was surprising.

Perhaps they have been different Onza Vee's since then that you have tryed as we can't be talking about the same calipers.

It makes sense, there's not much in a pair of vee brake arms. Pivot points, where the pads are in relation to them (which is adjustable) and material.

A flexier material might be nicer feeling to some people.

There are a couple of factors missing from that list:

Length of the caliper arms - this directly determines the amount of leverage you have (granted you can alter the amount of leverage you have at the lever with most Avid levers).

Quality of bearings/bushings at the pivot points - for example the sealed bearings on the Avid Ultimate make a world of difference over any other vee that I've used, they completely cancel the wobble found on cheaper vee's with open sealed bearings or with bushings.

Type of springs used for tension/re-centering - alot of cheap brakes use a coiled spring around the pivot point usually adjusted with a screw, this method makes the brake harder to pull at the lever whilst not being as effective at re-centering the calipers after the brake is pulled, and generally makes the brake more sluggish compared to a linear set-up typically found on Avids or Shimanos like this..

avid_arch_rival_spring_large_155.jpg

Strength to weight ratio - theres no point having a massively over built pair of vee's that just way a tonne, and theres no point in having a super light pair that just flex and offer bad preformance (well not in trials biking anyway), so having a well designed pair of arms that arn't heavy and don't flex is critical to trials.

In my opinion they are lots of factors seperating cheap vee's and high quality vee's, but each to there own..